No one likes my car

Soldato
I was wondering if I might get some advice from you all on why there is no interest in my car I have for sale. I'm not really looking for comments on the actual car itself, more about ideas why I have not had one single phone call showing interest. I feel I must be missing something obvious but I can't for the life of me work out what.

This is the motor: http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WW...category=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200618234211411

The way I see it, it is not stellar mileage, it is below Parkers guide for a private sale in poor condition (even though I know it is in excellent condition, but a buyer wouldn't know that), has a decent spec. and is priced lower than many comparable cars.

I wouldn't mind if people were coming to see the car and didn't like it, but I have not had one phone call in weeks of advertising. Is the description poor? Do the photos need to do the car better justice (someone on these forums once said it looks like I live on a council estate!) or does no one use just the interweb to buy cars and so I should stick it in the paper edition as well? Or perhaps people just don't buy BMWs from private sellers or fake wood and an auto box is offputting? I'm at a loss :(

I also have it up on pistonheads and have ebayed it a few times with similar dis-interest, leading me to think I am doing something wrong. Any advice, or other places that would be a good place to sell it, would be gratefully appreciated. Part-ex'ing it is not an option as I already have the replacement.

NathanE said:
I'd get it put into some papers. Cars like that will sell but not to the younger generation who are the ones that tend to shop for cars online...

Would nationals or locals get better results? Sunday times motoring section has a load of cars like mine but there are virtually zero in my local rag.

malc30 said:
No Offers are your two last words.
You have to give a man room for a deal even if you overprice to give more room. ;)

everyone likes to get a "Bargin"

grabbing a 10.5k bmw for 9.9k would be pubworthy chat for about 5 years to some people :)

Ebay auctions will die a death if you start the bidding at your desired price. If you'd started it at say, 5-7.5k with a reserve of 9, maybe you would have had some interest then. To successfully sell a car on eBay as well you have to tick all the "gallery, promotion, top of the list" affairs and pay the ~30 quid to get the best out of it :)

I think the biggest problem is that its not fully loaded, and when buying a second hand car, the difference in price between a fully specified example and a poverty model (not saying yours is poverty spec at all) is negligable.

I was recently looking at 3-series for circa £10K, and came to the conclusion that I could get a nice 328CI with SPORT PACK and less miles than yours for about £9K.

The sport pack makes a HUGE difference to the car's looks, takes it from bland to awesome. I think your price is too high tbh.

lozza23_uk said:
everyone likes to get a "Bargin"

grabbing a 10.5k bmw for 9.9k would be pubworthy chat for about 5 years to some people :)

Fair point but I had it up a month ago for £10.5K ono and still no phone calls. I've actually removed "no offers" form the ad now and try and be confident that it will sell itself once someone sees and drives it.

Lashout, thanks for the eBay advice.

Nice looking car, but agree that the 'no offers' thing would make me look elsewhere, you can't expect people not to knock a small amount off the asking price.

Plus the NI plate actually makes the car less desirable to me - they always look a bit *****.

"Maintained regardless of cost. Two trouble free years."

I'd leave stuff like this out if you are paying by the word. Imho these are over used industry prattle statements and do the opposite of build trust with people viewing. Besides, they contradict each other.

You have put 'no offers'. Whilst I personally fully understand why some people arnt interested in haggling with a stranger, did you see the thread the other week by eidelon where one guy wouldnt budge lower than £100? A lot of people seem insulted by not being able to offer. Or just find it strange. You cant argue that it will limit the number of people calling about your car. Perhaps a good thing, but you are at the point where we are trying to understand why you are getting no interest at all.

Edit: bah, beaten too it in the last 10 minutes of reaserching 3 series prices :)

paradigm said:
I think the biggest problem is that its not fully loaded, and when buying a second hand car, the difference in price between a fully specified example and a poverty model (not saying yours is poverty spec at all) is negligable.

I was recently looking at 3-series for circa £10K, and came to the conclusion that I could get a nice 328CI with SPORT PACK and less miles than yours for about £9K.

The sport pack makes a HUGE difference to the car's looks, takes it from bland to awesome. I think your price is too high tbh.

Firstly the 330Ci has the newer 3.0 231bhp engine, some 40bhp more than those 328Ci's you saw. Secondly the Sport pack of that age makes virtually nil difference to appearance - you are thinking of the later Sport pack with m3 bumpers etc. If you found a 328 with this pack it was not standard and was added aftermarket.

You're wrong there, the sport pack ALWAYS added sportier appearing front and rear bumpers, the sport seats are also FAR superior.

I actually read the ad as a 320CI, so I'll give you the engine malarky :p

paradigm said:
You're wrong there, the sport pack ALWAYS added sportier appearing front and rear bumpers

I dont dispute that, but pre 01 Sport bumpers are very subtle and do not transform the look of the car.

That 330Ci is well priced - there are few sub 100k 330's for under 10k.

Bes said:
Fantastic motor you have there, if I thought I could get a decent amount for my Cupra I wouldn't mind buying that at all :)

That's very nice of you and the others to say. I guess everybody is gutted when they sell on a car and think it is worth more than it really is. I know how much it has cost me to get it valeted, serviced etc. and the fact I haven't cut corners anywhere in the years I've had it, but to not get one phone call is just so frustrating, not to mention the damage it is doing to my bank balance :eek:

I think the next time the ad is up for renewal I'll follow Von Luck's advice and photoshop out the "private" plate in the pictures. Rather than adding any value it might be detracting from it I guess.

Back
Top Bottom