No Optical Drives - it's wrong!

Man of Honour
Floppy drives were clearly obsolete at that point. Replace by both CD and DVD. Apple have moved away from DVD's a while ago when they started offering OS releases on flash drives only. However, in the case most of the industry still use DVD to supply software, entertainment etc.

I agree that optical media is on the way out but I don't think it will happen as quick as people make out.

I think you missed how revolutionary it was when apple ditched the floppy drive in the original iMac....no writable optical drive as standard there, a 33.6k modem and USB wasn't even standard on most machines then.

This is just apple being apple and I do see their point at people requiring these features being a minority no matter how much they bleat about it (you *are* a minority, it's not cancer or something, you have niche requirements, deal with it...there are options available - unlike with the original iMac by the way, if you wanted a floppy then you were going to third party kit...)

Man of Honour
It's not a case of being a minority but not being important to Apple's future.

I think that's exactly the point, you are something who is party of a minority of their customer base and hence revenue...

That the 15" rMBP weighs 2.1KG is really quite nice, I think they'll make more on sales because of that than they'll loose because it doesn't have an optical drive...

Now the minority might not appreciate that but it doesn't make it any less logical in a business sense.

* and before anybody else suggests multiple models, part of apple's success in the past is about avoiding that. More models, more logistics problems, costs more money...

Man of Honour
I do :confused: I was saying why buy a Mac and an HDTV and a Blu-Ray Player when you could just get a Windows laptop with Blu-Ray and an HDMI port.

If you have a Mac and HDTV (so lets say that's £1500+ probably...) wouldn't you just buy a £100 bluray player so you have it plugged in all the time, neat and tidy and not worry about cables etc?

That's what I've done. I wouldn't even consider using my laptop, it just seems messy and then I can't use it to browse and reply to email on while I watch stuff either...

Just my approach, I'm seriously curiously if any number of people (that is not students or kids living with their parents) actually use their laptop for that?

Caporegime
Mediocre?

You do realise that PowerDVD has the best DVD upscaling filters & algorithms than any other hardware/software solution today?

If powerDVD is mediocre, then god knows where QuickTime falls. :p

It has a 3/5 star rating on Cnet download, that's pretty much the definition of mediocre. You harp on about Mac users being brainwashed and then hold up Cyberlink as some sort of purveyor of quality software.

Back
Top Bottom