No output in Cubase

Soldato
Just bought myself an M-Audio USB fastrack recording device but im having problems setting it up.

Basically i installed the drivers for it and it installs perfectly fine. Log into Cubase and it runs and passes the tests etc but i have to set it up before i can start recording.

Here's what i have on screen at the moment:

vstaudiobaypl6.jpg

vstinputsmd7.jpg

vstoutputswn3.jpg

vstsystemlinkqh2.jpg

Now i can record using the standard WM sound recorder and play just just fine and i can get Cubase to recognise when i play as the input is detected. However, even if i choose a mono output i cant hear what is played back after i record.

It's so confusing and it been annoying me all weekend. Do i have to use the two outputs (red and white) at the back and plug that into my soundblaster audigy? Ive tried with and without and still no audio playback. I've tried setting the windows default sound to my soundblaster and my M-audio to no avail.

Please help!

Permabanned
So is the problem that you can't record or you can't playback? For example, if you just import and mp3 into a track, can you hear it on playback?

The only thing I can think you haven't done is the VST connections (Devices > VST connections). Make sure on inputs you select your audio device (M-Audio USB ASIO?) and a device port and also make sure on outputs you have something similar.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i've looked into VST connections but still doesnt playback (recording is fine)

Do i need to go M-Audio Outputs straight into some speakers or M-Audio Out into soundcard (which is what i was doing) and then that is processed out through my speakers. Its difficult because i have a 5.1 setup and its really confusing.

I've asked on Cubase forums so no worries if you're a little confused ;) :p

Associate
I'm confused, your m-audio fast track IS your soundcard? So you use the outputs from your fast track straight to your speakers right?

I have this box, although I use the m-audio delta pci card now, plus i've got cubase so i can have a look later.

Soldato
OP
Flying_V said:
I'm confused, your m-audio fast track IS your soundcard? So you use the outputs from your fast track straight to your speakers right?

I have this box, although I use the m-audio delta pci card now, plus i've got cubase so i can have a look later.

Think im going to need either some new leads or new set of speakers just for recording because there seems to be no other way to get an output directly from the M-audio soundcard.

pict0055eb6.jpg

pict0056hc0.jpg

pict0058hr4.jpg

pict0062wi0.jpg

Any more help greatly appreciated... :)

Permabanned
Do you actually want to be outputting to that M-Audio USB thing? Surely it would make more sense to use that as all the inputs and output through your main soundcard (then straight into your speakers).

I have a PCI M-audio 2496 which I use for inputs and outputs for monitoring, but I sometimes switch to outputting from my inbuilt soundcard so I can get a feel for what it sounds like through a PC.

Associate
Just had a quick look at my config - I have my M-Audio device selected as output in VST system link? So your ASIO output device should have your fast track box selected.

I can't see how its the speakers or the lead if they work with everything else. Test the bits one at a time and take any other sound card out of the equation.

Soldato
OP
I initially had the M-Audio for both inputs and also outputs, but it doesnt seem to route into my soundblaster unless the green end needs to go into a specific jack such as line in or mic on the soundblaster?

Ill have another tinker around tomorrow, flooded with work atm ahhh :p

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

Permabanned
OzZie said:
I initially had the M-Audio for both inputs and also outputs, but it doesnt seem to route into my soundblaster unless the green end needs to go into a specific jack such as line in or mic on the soundblaster?

I'm still a bit unsure about what you're trying to go about this. In cubase, just select your soundblaster as the output, rather than trying to output to the m-audio.

Good luck :)

Soldato
OP
Cool, Thanks benneh :)

Ive found out that if i use the generic multimedia ASIO driver it automatically outputs to my soundblaster and then to the speakers so i get sound, but obviously there is a large delay with me playing and then recieving output, so i've gotten somwhere.

If i add a new output in VST connections (when the M-audio is selected rather than the generic multimedia driver) the only one i can choose is the ASIO left and Right stereo from the M-Audio out which are the two red and white connections at the back, otherwise there is no outoput whatever. There doesnt seem to be a way to route into the soundblaster and then out via the speakers that i can see, so all its doing is trying to get out but cant, thus i need to use the two outputs(i think directly into some speakers) otherwise it aint gonna work. :o

I'm gonna try it on my laptop as its easier and less clutter and doesnt have all the 5.1 setup issues like my desktop does.

I'll see how i get on. :)

Back
Top Bottom