No power - 4090 - 5900x

Associate
Hi all,

Really need help - anything would be very much appreciated

Moved everything over to a new case loan li 011 xl and got a new 1200 w psu.

Thought the build went fine. Press on and I have no power. Nothing, no lights on mobo power button does nothing.

Checked following.

Plugged in all old psu same problem.
Checked all connections everywhere. All in.
Checked wiring to power switch it’s there.
Checked it’s on at back (psu)
Checked plug and cable woek

I have no idea.

Help please!

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Build 15 plus pc’s never had this. Gutted.

1000 percent on cables, changed cables. Triple checked all pushed in for a click. Just trying mother board and cpu to try and get a light, nothing.

Plug - I’ve tried a lamp in. Workinf

What’s the paper clip trick. I need to try cmos too

Associate
OP
Sorry I should have said I just moved it from my old case phanteks evolv to the Lian li xl. All I changed was new rgb fans and a new psu.

Everything else was in my old pc working perfectly.

I tried unplugging all cables and putting back old psu with original cables. Exactly same issue.

Tried shorting power from mobo, in case on switch broken. Nothing.

Think you’re right sadly I need to take it all out and rebuild. Can I test without cooler.

It’s a 570

Associate
OP
Mobo is the msi tomahawk mag 570.

So rebuild it on a box, no gpu outside of case. Connect power and see if I get anything.

If not - assume mobo just broken during the transfer.

Thanks!

Associate
OP
That motherboard has bios flashback button on the rear io , if I rember correctly if you press it a white led will flash 3 times on the board.

Could try it see if there's any life , just connect the 24 pin and 8 pin eps power cables and push that button.
Thanks - I will try this when I’m back
from work tomorrow. If it doesn’t flash assume mobo is dead?

Associate
OP
Thanks. Feeling sorry for myself at the moment. Need a night of sleep before I can face it haha

Going to force me into another upgrade isn’t it. Got my self inflicted own cost of living crisis going on!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sad thing is knowing it’s a broken mobo whilst annoying at least I know. Will update. Going to be after work annoying.

Sad thing is it looked amazing.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks like it's going to cost you either way, but still test it with the cpu, memory and gpu to cover all angles.

I'm off to bed, take care.

Thanks - couldn’t resist trying the button. Weirdly the white light flashes when pressed. I don’t have the bios on a usb so couldn’t try a flash update but will do tomorrow. Any ideas what it could mean?

Associate
OP
It means the motherboard is getting some power but doesn't mean something else isn't and still could be faulty. Do the motherboard out build with minimal components to check and the bios flash, after that its changing parts.
Got it - will do this evening.

Only only plus is the case is huge so mobo can come out without removing everything. Trying to see some positives.

Thanks - will update.

Associate
OP
If the mobo is getting power but not recognizing there is a cpu in the socket it will show no signs of life when you press the power button. Did the heatsink come off easily when you took it all out of the first case? Socket or pins may have been damaged when taking it off.

Like micky says , minimul components for testing. Reduce the variables that can be going wrong.
Came off really easily. It’s a Corsair aio. I will remove the cpu and double check the pins to be sure when it comes out.

Associate
OP
Quick question - my mobo is the MSI MAG 570 Tomahawk (not the S). On the MSI website they only have bios for the below:

MAG-X570S-TOMAHAWK-MAX-WIFI

Assume the S takes the same bios hence why they only have one?

Associate
OP
as long as your board is the wifi tomahawk then yes, if not double check before proceeding flashing a wrong bios will brick any board its not ment to be on

EDIT: you will need bios version 7D54v10, just checked msi's website and support list, scroll down to the 5900/5950x cpus and that is the bios version needed, turns out that bios is already installed it's the first release bios

Thanks again.

Assume i just download the latest version, i.e. AMI BIOS7C84v1B

Associate
OP
All done - fingers crossed.

The only thing that gives me any hope is when I've used a non-flashed BIOS before it did the same thing. No life what so ever. The downside is that it was obviously working earlier in the day in the previous system.

Keeping everything crossed I can sort tonight or it be ordering a new motherboard :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom