No signal on monitor.

Soldato
Recently when i boot my PC up the monitor comes up with no signal. Now this doesn't happen every time. maybe 1 in 15 boots. Any ideas what it could be?

Soldato
Are you using a DP cable?

If you are it could be a DP issue - it's a known issue with the nViidia 9 and 10 series cards. Annoying but there are fixes (card BIOS update or use a different flavoured port e.g. HDMI - although not ideal if 1440p @ 144Hz)or temporary work around.

I would look up your card first and see if there's BIOS update fix - even if not using DP cable.

There are a number of temporary fixes such as removing the DP cable and then unplugging monitor from the wall for 10 minutes (depleting all power by pressing the power button after doing so). But if this were to work as mentioned it's usually only temporary.

To test conclusively this is the issue - try using an HDMI cable for a few days and see if it resolves the issue. It should if it's DP related.

EDIT: There is an F2 BIOS - doesn't mention a fix specifically for DP port but I would be tempted to update if you're on F1

Soldato
OP
Hey Plec thanks for that, had no idea. Yes I am using a DP cable but I've had the cad since launch with no problems. It's not that often it does it but will monitor it.

Soldato
Hey Plec thanks for that, had no idea. Yes I am using a DP cable but I've had the cad since launch with no problems. It's not that often it does it but will monitor it.

No worries - i have the same problem with mt GTX 1070. I con mine by having my secondary monitor use an HDMI cable. This displays the splash screen and start of Windows and seems to give the primary monitor/PC enough time to establish connection using a DP cable.

Even when occasionally Windows doesn't appear on the primary straight away if i leave it for 5 minutes it will eventually pop up- it's an annoying quirk. But this is very rare with the secondary monitor attached.

I should add that i also bought v1.2 DP cable.

Soldato
OP
What's the difference of the v1.2 DP cable? Seems to have no signal now on every boot then have to pwoer off by holding power button on case then it boots up fine on second attempt, got a spare HDMI cable so will try that.

Soldato
What's the difference of the v1.2 DP cable?
I changed my supplied DELL monitor cable for a 1.2 DP (only a £10) - after researching solutions for my problem and 'belt and braces' - and it did coincide with solving my problem (but i did introduce the HDMI to the secondary monitor about the same time.).
Seems to have no signal now on every boot then have to pwoer off by holding power button on case then it boots up fine on second attempt, got a spare HDMI cable so will try that.
Definitely try the HDMI cable (and BIOS GFX update if needed?)

You could also try the monitor test - unplug it for from the wall and PC for 10 minutes and press the power button on the monitor to fully deplete any residual power. It's an odd fix - but is sometimes effective.

Additional: Is your motherboard BIOS up to date?

Soldato
OP
Ah ok, I've ordered a 1.2 DP cable from OC. Not updated my motherboard since I got it 4 years ago. I presume there's a new version out. lol

Back
Top Bottom