No surround support in Vive?

Associate
really? Just bought some speakers presuming surround sound would be easy and already supported, apparently not.

I'm confused at this stage as this seems logical and already implemented in engines?

Associate
Just bought some speakers presuming surround sound
Wait...what? If you're talking about speakers (not headphones) then no - there's no facility to specify where the speakers are located in your virtual space (and for pseudo/fake surround systems, it really wouldn't work anyway). The speakers are assumed to be on/in your ears i.e. headphones or earphones.

Soldato
You appear to be a bit behind the times I'm afraid.

3D sounds in VR games is advancing the technology. Even your Atmos surround sound system isn't going to compare with sound systems built for VR.

Positional head tracking combined with headphones will not only help you detect things positioned spatiality around and above you, but below you as well.

Audio engines are taking into consideration the physical properties of your ear to help you identify the exact source of sounds in 3D space - that's something you can't do with speakers as you need the control of a closed system like headphones.

Sorry, but buying speakers was the exact opposite of what you should have done - you should have waited out for Deluxe Audio Strap (http://www.roadtovr.com/new-htc-viv...s-integrated-headphones-ratcheting-headstrap/) which, apart from adding the much needed fixed-position audio solution, also provides better comfort.

Associate
OP
You appear to be a bit behind the times I'm afraid.

haha yeah I am a bit, its ok, they arent expensive and I needed them anyway. I've just come back to gaming and a few things i've taken as legacy have moved on in the time i've gone!

I like headphones (love the tech behind it), its more for when friends come round it was hard to teach them in game with phones on

Associate
It depends on the game but I do the same thing. So much easier to chat to them when they don't have big overear headphones. Plus I can hear what's going on too :)
The exception is if they're doing a scary experience, it's best to envelop them in the sound. Helps with the immersion :)

Soldato
Yeah, I'll concede that demoing the Vive and playing with friends is a massive aspect of what I enjoy about it also.

Not using headphones and cranking the volume on The Deep for when the whale arrives (with the bass turned up full) is one of my favourite things to do :)

Your speakers won't go to waste in that regard, but it sounds like you understanding where the limitations lie.

Associate
OP
Yeah, i'm a sound guy at heart, write weird electronic sci fi music, I understand the tech.

BUT. They could just add surround sound like it is in normal games though, even if it isnt as good.

Have the orientation of the game world always the same, so north east corner of my room is always the north east in the game, and the whale always comes from there, and the sound always comes from there. and have player_spawn_direction as per headset orientation when level begins.

some people in another thread were going mad talking about how the whole world has to shift round every spawn so you would have to move speakers, um, no, it doesnt. No idea why this couldnt just be a normal thing. I mean, the stereo sound works ok, doesnt it?

All for 3D tech though, i'm partly doing my music for unreal as of when the new audio engine gets fully implemented (over the next few builds and then into the future :D).

Back
Top Bottom