No video output on Mint??

Soldato
I've always wanted to give a Linux a go and so in order to dip my toe in I thought I'd give Mint Cinnamon a go and so created a bootable USB to give it a try on my Windows 10 desktop!

The trouble is that when I boot from the flash drive my monitor doesn't show any display!?!

If I choose to boot in compatibility mode then I get a desktop but with a message saying it's not running how it should and as a result my CPU usage will be too high!

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what I need to do to get it to display on a regular boot??

oap

oap

Associate
Try ubuntu i think it may be more friendly to the green side (nvidia), mint always boots fine on my ati cards?
ps make sure u are a member of 'video' group (google it) :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply!

I went for Mint right off the bat because I'd read that it was the most "Windows-like" (ie. a good starting point for someone with zero knowledge of Linus based OS's!) but I'll give Ubuntu a try!

The weird part is that I took the same flash drive and put it in my laptop, that also has an Nvidia GPU, and it booted just fine!?!?! I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with either the GPU on my desktop or my monitor - had issues in the past with no output but that was when I was using the displayport as opposed to the HDMI-out!

Soldato
If you want windows like distro choose one with the the KDE DE, you generally have an option on boot or download the respective iso .

May I suggest you try Antergos(Arch based) with KDE or Mageia 6(RedHat based) with KDE.

Soldato
OP
If you want windows like distro choose one with the the KDE DE, you generally have an option on boot or download the respective iso .

May I suggest you try Antergos(Arch based) with KDE or Mageia 6(RedHat based) with KDE.

Yeah....I didn't understand a word of that! :p Looks like a bit of Googling is in order!

Seriously though, thanks for the reply - it's not that I particularly want a Windows-like OS (if I did I'd just stick with Windows!) - it's that I want to get used to Linux (or similar) OS's as I'm hoping to pick up a Microserver and have a play about with it and try the different things that Linux offers!

Soldato
hehe, Apologies. :o

DE refers to Desktop Environment

KDE is a Desktop Environment known for it's similarity with the windows desktop.

Antergos link for their iso

https://antergos.com/download/antergos-live-iso/

When asked to a live boot then choose KDE from the list.

Might be an idea to try in a VM to get a feel for them then when confident do a install. The install can be done from within the live environment so no need to reboot and install.

FYI:

Be careful if/when installing, Linux does not hold your hand to the extent of windows. I'm not saying this to scare you but be warned.

Best way is 2nd hdd then to remove the hdd/sdd that windows is on. (Stops accidental wipes)

The other thing is just because KDE looks similar to windows don't go in thinking that Linux is like windows. You will end up frustrated. There will be a learning curve . How steep depends on the individual and level of getting stuck in so to speak.

HTH

:D
https://antergos.com/download/antergos-live-iso/

Soldato
OP
Thanks again - I've never even experimented with VM's and so have downloaded Oracle VM and am giving it a go!

I just want to make sure I'm not doing something catastrophic because I'm trying to install Ubuntu 16.04.2L and it's come to the stage where its warning me that if I "Erase disk and install Ubuntu" then it will delete all my programs, documents etc - I resume this only applies to the VM environment I've set up? (I left all of the settings at default so I think it allocated 10GB of "dynamically allocated" virtual hard disk for the VM - is this enough/correct?)

Soldato
OP
Managed to get Ubuntu installed to a VM (in fact I am typing from within that very VM right now! :D) - but the performance is what I would class as a little sluggish!

I can't quite remember what RAM I allocated to the VM - 1GB I think because that's what it recommended - would the performance improve if I were to re-allocate say 4 or even 8GB to it? Also, do I need to be worrying about downloading the latest graphics driver etc or should these be OK with the default install??

The only other question is am I able to view my NAS on my home network with the OS being "contained" within a VM? (I assume so as it would be a little redundant if not!)

I did have a look at Solus and it looked very nice - but there wasn't a "Use" or "Install" option like there was for Ubuntu so I assume it was just running off the virtually mounted CD and after a few minutes it seemed to grind to a halt! Is there a way to install it as I have with Ubuntu? (I chose "Linux - Other 64bit" within Oracle as I couldn't see Solus as an option - is this correct?

Thanks for the continued help - I know my original query has skewed a bit but this is all quite a lot of fun! :)

Soldato
Managed to get Ubuntu installed to a VM (in fact I am typing from within that very VM right now! :D) - but the performance is what I would class as a little sluggish!
I can't quite remember what RAM I allocated to the VM - 1GB I think because that's what it recommended - would the performance improve if I were to re-allocate say 4 or even 8GB to it? Also, do I need to be worrying about downloading the latest graphics driver etc or should these be OK with the default install??

1gb is not a lot tbh depending on DE browser ect. 4 would help a lot tbh. Also depnds on how many cores you have assigned to it. Linux uses cores better on the whole.

Graphic drivers are not needed within the VM so don't worry.

The only other question is am I able to view my NAS on my home network with the OS being "contained" within a VM? (I assume so as it would be a little redundant if not!)

To see the network outside you will have to put the network adapter within Vbox to bridged mode.

I did have a look at Solus and it looked very nice - but there wasn't a "Use" or "Install" option like there was for Ubuntu so I assume it was just running off the virtually mounted CD and after a few minutes it seemed to grind to a halt! Is there a way to install it as I have with Ubuntu? (I chose "Linux - Other 64bit" within Oracle as I couldn't see Solus as an option - is this correct?

Never tried Solus so cant help you there. I guess it would have a option when booted.

You are correct regards the VM settings though

Thanks for the continued help - I know my original query has skewed a bit but this is all quite a lot of fun! :)

The beauty of OSS :D

Back
Top Bottom