No Video Output on New Build

Associate
Most common problem in the book I know, but it's even harder to fix when you decide to build a motherboard with no POST speaker header! I can't believe they'd do this, and there's no way I would have bought it if I knew. Guess I should have researched more, but this is a standard that I really expect from any motherboard.

Board is a Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2

CPU is a AMD Athlon X2 370K

RAM is GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz

I've tried breadboarding outside the case with just CPU, mobo and 1 RAM stick in both slots and with both sticks. CPU and motherboard power pins are well seated. Fans and everything spins up, DVD drive makes a noise, but no video output either onboard or with a discrete card. With no POST code I'm at a loss of what to do next.

If something's broken I'm going to be rather irritated. First of all because I'll have to play russian roulette with which part could be at fault, and secondly because I'm building this PC for someone and I can't be waiting around for a month plus waiting for a replacement part.

Any idea on what I can do at this stage?

Caporegime
You know that the CPU is just a CPU without any onboard GFX core? it is not an APU that does have a GFX core.

What discrete card have you tried using?

Up by the CPU socket is an 8pin ATX that needs power.

Soldato
what connection are you using for the gpu, is it a HDMI or VGA?

might be worth checking that the cooler is not over tightened as this can cause issues with the PC booting.

make sure both power connecters are firmly connected on the motherboard as well

Associate
OP
Thanks Stulid, I wasn't sure whether onboard graphics worked with just an ordinary CPU, that opens up more possibilities. I've been using a 6950 I've had in cold storage for a while, I have spare so I'll test that too now that the GPU is looking like more of a possibility!

Both the CPU power and the motherboard power are plugged in properly.

I'm trying both VGA and HDMI off the card (VGA through a DVI adapter) on two monitors.

Once I've tried out the card, I'll check the HSF mounting and CPU seating, I doubt it'll be overtightened due to to the stock AMD HS, but I'll make sure the CPU is properly seated while I'm at it. Worth pointing out that the CPU is producing a decent amount of heat!

Associate
OP
Second GPU worked! If you hadn't have reminded me about no onboard video on CPUs I might have spent ages going down the wrong route! I wonder what's wrong with the old 6950? They were both working when I pulled them and were boxed together, seems about right that my old trusty one would work though!

Back
Top Bottom