"No, we won't go to the Moon; we will visit Mars instead," says Obama

Permabanned
Source. (LOL DAILY MAIL)

President Obama has revealed America will be abandoning plans to return to the Moon and instead aim for asteroids and Mars instead.

He unveiled the new direction on a visit to Nasa's headquarters at the Kennedy Space Center, from which Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin made their historic leap in 1969.

Mr Obama told worried Nasa workers that the U.S. would continue to be a world leader in space travel, but radical re-organisation was needed if they were to 'leap into the future.'

Thoughts? Disappointed or excited? :)

Also sorry if pearoast.

Soldato
Why and why?

Wiki Answers said:
Answer

There are many benefits:

The most important is that it keeps the earth from wobbling. Because the earth is tilted at 23 1/2 degrees, it would be very unstable unless the moon helped balance its axis of rotation.

The other benefits have to do with life on earth. The moon creates tides that help many animals during their breeding cycles.

The moon also helps provide light at night, unless it is a new moon, and that allows animals to see so they can hunt for food and stay away from danger.

The other, less obvious, reason has to do with the moon actually having been a part of the earth itself a long time ago. Early in earth's history, a large protoplanet the size of Mars crashed into it and made it bigger than it originally was. The upper layers of Earth's crust was knocked off into space and became the moon. So really, when you ask the question: how does the moon benefit the Earth?" Well, the Earth wouldn't be what it is today without the moon.

Associate
I think the moon should still be the first.

I think its proximity would make building and testing long term base building etc much easier than anywhere else.

And if a big long term base is created on the moon it would make a much more sensible jump point for longer trips. Less energy required for lift off etc means more for the trip.

I'm basing this all on not a great deal of knowledge so shoot me if I'm wrong :D

Soldato
I'm a fan of either. A moon visit, with the aim of establishing a permanent base, would be incredible, probably easier for future exploration. But still, walking on another planet is an epic achievement. We're talking like 1000 gamer points. And hopefully with re-light our desire to progress and explore

Associate
How does Obama suggest we get there? He's just cancelled the only rocket program capable of a mission to Mars :confused:

It's just a political excercise, I'm sure they'll commit no extra funding to the project, and then cancel it a few years down the line.

Associate
Mars is cool, but I was very much looking forward to having a moon base! A base on the moon seems like the next logical step anyway, mars is aiming a bit too high :o

Back
Top Bottom