"No, we won't go to the Moon; we will visit Mars instead," says Obama

Soldato
I hope something comes out of this. Mars is an achievable goal for NASA but they need to get the plans in motion in 8 years or it wont happen. A base on the Moon is a silly idea imo, it would cost far to much with current tech.

Soldato
As long as they hurry up, space exploration is going way too slowly, their budget should be increased as there's little future in staying on just Earth, we need more space, more resources: more planets...

Soldato
All of our space exploration don't even leave high earth orbit. The ISS is just on the border of the earth's atmosphere and the start of space. The space shuttles only ever go to the upper boundary of the earths atmosphere.

Its a big risk to send a man to mars.

I'm still undecided about the apollo moon missions.

Soldato
As much as I love the idea of us being in space, we're really not ready. We still suffer from primitive in-fighting, there's mass poverty and suffering. We're a really fragmented planet. Do we really want to bring that fragmentation with us up into space? Mess up there too?

Not that we shouldn't still be up in space, and doing important work IN space. But there are higher priorities right now. Once we find the sense to stop beating eachother up, maybe we can look upwards and find places to spread to.

Caporegime
As much as I love the idea of us being in space, we're really not ready. We still suffer from primitive in-fighting, there's mass poverty and suffering. We're a really fragmented planet. Do we really want to bring that fragmentation with us up into space? Mess up there too?

Not that we shouldn't still be up in space, and doing important work IN space. But there are higher priorities right now. Once we find the sense to stop beating eachother up, maybe we can look upwards and find places to spread to.

Sure, **** it it's not like you need everyone.

Associate
It if it was working there woudn't need to be all the delays and "testing". It only reached 7Tev 17 days ago, years late and not even a continuous operation.

The LHC has everything to do with space travel. Without a greater understanding of particle physics how can we hope to achieve nuclear fusion? Without fusion and fusion rockets, reaching Mars IS fantasy.

Yeh sure there's been a few delays, not exactly unexpected with a project of that magnitude, but it's up and running now, they're doing experiments as we speak! A ramp up of operations was always planned, you can't just flip a switch on something like the LHC and hope it works.

As for fusion rockets, they're purely theoretical at the moment and I doubt we'll see on in the next 50 years, if ever. I think it's more of an engineering challenge than a physics challenge to produce fusion, as it's relatively well understood (compared to a lot of the particle physics they'll be doing at the LHC). We can get to Mars using conventional rockets anyway, all that's needed is money.

Back
Top Bottom