Noble Chair Hero

Associate
Hello!

I pulled the pin and bought the hero last month, recently ive been getting really bad lower back pain / pain in my hips.

Anyone else having issues like this?

Looking for advice from other chair users in maybe sitting it up better for myself.

thanks

Associate
Hopefully my reply isn't too late, I got my Hero at the end of last week. I ended angling the seat back backwards by about 10 or 15 degrees which meant that my weight was better distributed (i.e. the back rest started to do it's job). I've found the chair to be really comfortable (if not a little firm - although I've read it softens up a little bit over time, so I'm not too worried about that).

Can you give a bit more information about how you have the chair set up currently and answer the following questions:
1) Does it feel like your weight is evenly distributed over the chair? If not, where does it feel like the pressure points are, or where isn't it supporting you?
2) With your heels vertically inline with your knees, can you comfortably place your heels flat on the ground without either i) the front of the seat pressing hard against your legs near your knees, or ii) having little or no support from the front of the seat?
3) Are your hips firmly against the back of the chair?
4) When typing, are you pulling yourself forward in your chair, or are you staying properly seated?

Associate
I would say in both cases as a leather Hero owner your chairs will wear in very nicely over the next few weeks.

I've used a leather Hero since last August working full time and gaming, so a lot of use, my old chair was a worn out old rocker with terrible posture, so I also got very minor lower back tinges from the Hero for the first day or so as my posture adjusted.

The initial stiffness is real, but it will definitely soften up, the seat first then the back, I set to working on it full time as soon as I got it so it got worn it quickly, but I've done a 14 hour working day before on it and a 65 hour week with no ill effects.

After a week or so of sitting up about 10-15 degree lay back with hips and back pushed to the curve of the chair with a straight shoulder posture, I noticed I was standing a little straighter and even taller in general, so any adjustment to it will improve your back in the long run. I also sometimes slouch a bit forward and sit more mid seat with legs stretched out, you can even sit crossed legged 4 style as there's plenty of room on the flat seat. I sit up straight when typing for work but lean back for gaming typing.

At 6ft exact on the standard gas pole lowest setting there's clearance from the back of my knees to the front of the seat and my feet lay flat on the floor. If you feel the way the chair interacts with your legs is uncomfortable, you can get a shorter/longer gas chair pole very cheaply, that could also take some pressure off your legs or hips.

Either way, you've both still got some wearing in time, it will take longer if you're just gaming on it, but they definitely will wear in to be a lot softer.

Associate
OP
Hopefully my reply isn't too late, I got my Hero at the end of last week. I ended angling the seat back backwards by about 10 or 15 degrees which meant that my weight was better distributed (i.e. the back rest started to do it's job). I've found the chair to be really comfortable (if not a little firm - although I've read it softens up a little bit over time, so I'm not too worried about that).

Can you give a bit more information about how you have the chair set up currently and answer the following questions:
1) Does it feel like your weight is evenly distributed over the chair? If not, where does it feel like the pressure points are, or where isn't it supporting you?
2) With your heels vertically inline with your knees, can you comfortably place your heels flat on the ground without either i) the front of the seat pressing hard against your legs near your knees, or ii) having little or no support from the front of the seat?
3) Are your hips firmly against the back of the chair?
4) When typing, are you pulling yourself forward in your chair, or are you staying properly seated?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

1 - feels like my body is supported but after a short length of time it feels like my hips are on fire :( I sat on it for an hour tonight and it feels like someone has taken a golf club to my spine :(

It does feel like I sink into the chair a fair bit, like my back and legs are at an incline but I can still comfortably put my feet on the floor.

my hips are right into the back of the seat.

I haven’t really used the chair for typing etc just using it mostly for console gaming.
Thanks again

Associate
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

1 - feels like my body is supported but after a short length of time it feels like my hips are on fire :( I sat on it for an hour tonight and it feels like someone has taken a golf club to my spine :(

It does feel like I sink into the chair a fair bit, like my back and legs are at an incline but I can still comfortably put my feet on the floor.

my hips are right into the back of the seat.

I haven’t really used the chair for typing etc just using it mostly for console gaming.
Thanks again
It's hard to tell from the information you have supplied, but I'm guessing that your hip joint is at too much of an angle and/or that you possibly have too much pressure from the back of the chair on your hips. I would suggest the following:

1) Use the left lever to put the seat base back to flat and lock it into place
2) Raise the seat height so that you have proper support under your legs (without the front of the chair pressing hard against your legs) when your heels are directly below your knees
3) Assuming the seat back is at an angle of 90 degrees to the base, use the "hand break" lever on the right to tilt the set back backwards by 10 to 15 degrees (the ideal angle between the seat base and the seat back is in the range of 100 to 110 degrees).
4) Adjust the lumbar support to ensure that you have support.

Now a posture expert might not agree with what I do next, but I tend to use the left lever to tilt the whole seat back by about 5 degrees and lock it into place - I find that position the most comfortable (although I do have to mess with the seat height fractionally afterwards). If you do that, you might want to make use of the head pillow that comes with the chair. I hope that helps.

Associate
I would say in both cases as a leather Hero owner your chairs will wear in very nicely over the next few weeks.

I've used a leather Hero since last August working full time and gaming, so a lot of use, my old chair was a worn out old rocker with terrible posture, so I also got very minor lower back tinges from the Hero for the first day or so as my posture adjusted.

The initial stiffness is real, but it will definitely soften up, the seat first then the back, I set to working on it full time as soon as I got it so it got worn it quickly, but I've done a 14 hour working day before on it and a 65 hour week with no ill effects.

After a week or so of sitting up about 10-15 degree lay back with hips and back pushed to the curve of the chair with a straight shoulder posture, I noticed I was standing a little straighter and even taller in general, so any adjustment to it will improve your back in the long run. I also sometimes slouch a bit forward and sit more mid seat with legs stretched out, you can even sit crossed legged 4 style as there's plenty of room on the flat seat. I sit up straight when typing for work but lean back for gaming typing.

At 6ft exact on the standard gas pole lowest setting there's clearance from the back of my knees to the front of the seat and my feet lay flat on the floor. If you feel the way the chair interacts with your legs is uncomfortable, you can get a shorter/longer gas chair pole very cheaply, that could also take some pressure off your legs or hips.

Either way, you've both still got some wearing in time, it will take longer if you're just gaming on it, but they definitely will wear in to be a lot softer.
Thanks PC777, I'm really enjoying the chair and have found it to be softening up a little already. I think I might invest in the shorter gas cylinder though, since on the lowest setting it's fine when the seat base is flat, but if I tilt the whole seat back 5 degrees (as I tend to do), I get fractionally too much pressure under my legs at the front of the seat so when I do that I end up lifting my heels off of the floor by a couple of cm for it to feel right; I can stay like that for a little while, but then end up putting it back to the position where the seat base flat again. Anyway, the shorter cylinder would fix that issue. My posture is definitely better with this chair.

Associate
Do you use the cushion that comes with the chair? Can not remember if the Hero comes with one but I tried the Hero chair I am 6'4" and 13 stone and did not like it, I found the chair too deep towards the back where my hips will be and the chair too high off the ground at the height I wanted the chair, I think the thickness of the foam they use in the Hero has something to do with it and it is a firm foam too

Associate
Using mine for over 9 months now, and at least here, the extra cushion wasn't allowing me to keep a good posture. I still use the pillow, but not the loose one.
Decided to pair it with the footrest, and despite the price, I'm happy with it.

Associate
OP
Do you use the cushion that comes with the chair? Can not remember if the Hero comes with one but I tried the Hero chair I am 6'4" and 13 stone and did not like it, I found the chair too deep towards the back where my hips will be and the chair too high off the ground at the height I wanted the chair, I think the thickness of the foam they use in the Hero has something to do with it and it is a firm foam too

I feel like I’m sinking right into the back of the chair exactly how you’re describing it!

OcUK Staff
Hey all, so whether you take what I say as "oh he's just staff ofc he's gonna say that" or you take it as someone who has used an ICON for years - I don't care :D

The foam is super, SUPER dense, so that 1. it doesn't get knackered quickly, and 2. so it supports you - and the "break-in" with constant use is about a month. Our office noblechairs, that we sit in for most of our day, 5 days a week, are nice and squishy - except now we're WFH they won't be. My ICON at home, that I'm sat in right now, stiffed back up in the period I was moving house (in storage for 2 to 3 months).

It's worth considering that the HERO has the adjustable lumber handle on the side. As you say Kev, you're 6'4" and 13st - I'm 5'11" and heavier than you - so I didn't go for the tallboi chair, and the chair is fine, has been for the years I've owned it, and does take getting used to. Not in a "oh I'll get used to the pain" but "oh this is what a not-crap chair feels like" :)

Back
Top Bottom