Noblechairs HERO ST Limited Edition 2020 - First impressions

Associate
Received the first batch of the Noblechairs limited edition Hero ST in anthracite colour. This edition is fabric and it's an alternative to SecretLab SoftWeave fabric, though I do not know why it's just a limited edition run maybe they are testing if there is a demand for fabric. In my opinion fabric is better as it's a breathable material, helps avoid sticking to your chair on a hot summer day.

DPD came within the 1 hour delivery slot, and it doesn't look broken.

20201204_130827-scaled.jpg

Box is huge, it's 90cm x6 9cm x 38cm weighting about 30.5KG

20201204_131005-scaled.jpg

The chair is well packed, there is a layer of protection material for the outer and center to stop the product from rubbing against each other.

20201204_131237-scaled.jpg

It's organised very well, and there isn't much wasted space.

20201204_131350-scaled.jpg

Content:
  • Seat base with one arm already installed
  • Seat back
  • Arm mount
  • Metal star frame for wheels
  • Control module (under the seat base)

20201204_133105-scaled.jpg

Accessories Content:
  • Gas strut
  • Strut cover
  • 5 castor wheels
  • 2 * side cover for seat back
  • 2* caps for the control model
  • screws and allen key with cross screwdriver on end

20201204_133630-scaled.jpg

The seat base has the screws already secured in so you have to remove them to mount the arm

20201204_134700-scaled.jpg

I just lay the seat base on a stool, it easier to mount

20201204_135317-scaled.jpg

Now to mount the control module, make sure it's the right way as the mounting holes will work either way. Unless you prefer the chair to tilt the other way.

20201204_135756-scaled.jpg

The metal star frame that holds the wheels has some form of cross structure to make it stronger. It's in a matte black coating. I recommend that you put bubble wrap of carpet if you planning to push the wheels into the retainer, as I don't know how the paint would look with scratches.

20201204_133939-scaled.jpg

The gas struct fit perfectly fine in the frame, yeah you can see my greasy fingerprints on the matte paint

20201204_135935-scaled.jpg

Finishing off the stand with the strut cover, it's now time to put the seat base onto the control module.

20201204_135918-scaled.jpg

This is the part where I needed another person to help, just to align the strut to the control module mounting hole. It's not that easy when you are carrying the seat from above.

20201204_140328-scaled.jpg

There are four bolts, 2 on each end of the seat back, upon removing the screws you can see the fabric is fused to a few mm of soft padding, which shouldn't rub onto the foam. Though this layer can move, so it is not fused to the foam.

20201204_140728-scaled.jpg

Make sure the seat side cover is for the 'R' right and 'L' left, though they looks the same to be honest.

20201204_142001-scaled.jpg

Beware that you may trap your hand if you pull on the leaver, I assume someone tried.

20201204_141557-scaled.jpg

And here's the finishing product with the side covers installed.

20201204_143550-scaled.jpg

The one thing that could possible annoy you when making this chair is putting those side covers on. It is hard to feed the screw blindly and the covers do no clip in. I would expect that Noblechairs designers get to redesigned this, maybe like the SecretLab magnetic solution? You never know if you need to re-secure those side bolts in the future.

Overall the making of the chair is fairly simple, and the instructions has no wording and rely on Ikea illustration.

Though one of the diagram in explaining the tilt adjustment is the wrong way round.
20201204_161818-scaled.jpg

So for my case, I'm a light frame about 60KG and I wanted the tilt be adjustable so judging from the diagram you rotate the adjustment on the control module anti-clockwise but this made the tilt solid as a rock.

I then thought to myself did I look at the arrows wrong?, so I decided to put it clockwise against the instructions advice and the adjustment was feeling much loosely than before. I was then able set the tilt, but since I'm light I'm unable to do so sitting down. I just bounce like a idiot. ahah

20201204_143621-scaled.jpg

I believe the left side cover digs too deeply into the chair, which doesn't seem right as I have the seat back upwards. I will have to contact OcUK or Noblechairs soon about that cover as this would cause the fabric to fray.

Other than that the seat is firm, which is expected as this is new hard foam. With my weight and size it may take a while for it to settle, but nothing too bad for my butt. I do like the built-in lumbar support, though I need to adjust it correctly due to how firm the foam is. I would need to report back about the comfort as I only just sat on it for 1 hour.

Overall it's a good looking seat, with subtle design compared to the Secretlab, as I didn't want my seat have massive branding labels.

20201204_151911-scaled.jpg

Looks the part, the new vent doesn't look too bad. The fabric actually sticks out further by 1cm, this helps avoiding the plastic shroud hitting your head or shoulders. Though my neck is where the vent are, so my shoulders doesn't touch it at all. You body shape may be inline with the vent but it slightly tucked in anyway. And yeah there is no additional cushion with this chair so it best to get your own if you feel like you need added comfort. Though I think I just need to get a head pillow to complete the package.

You can purchase this edition from OCUK or Noblechairs

Associate
Nice pics, that grey fabric looks smart and comfy, definitely a good deal for that sale price. At 60KG you might be a little on the lighter side for it but they do soften up significantly, but more importantly they also keep the shape and don't get squished after lot of use. I would definitely recommend a head pillow as well but they don't need the lumbar one at all.

Associate
OP
Nice pics, that grey fabric looks smart and comfy, definitely a good deal for that sale price. At 60KG you might be a little on the lighter side for it but they do soften up significantly, but more importantly they also keep the shape and don't get squished after lot of use. I would definitely recommend a head pillow as well but they don't need the lumbar one at all.

Thanks, just thought that some real life photos can help people decide if the chair is for them. But yeah my height 170 and weight 60KG is top end sizing of SecretLab Omega and Noblechairs Epic, and low end recommendation of Secretlab Titan and Noblechairs hero but the feeling of the chair being too snug maybe annoying for me cause I sometimes have stuff in my pockets.

Looking at the customer service for SecretLab kinda put me off, though I know someone with the Omega batman edition and heard good things. Have yet to even try it out so it was better to go bigger for the builtin lumbar support which I really like the idea of. But yeah with the sale discount on now, this was a no brainer to try this chair out, the seat reminds me of Honda Recaro seats without the tall leg bolsters.

Soldato
Nice review. I did actually get mine set up this morning after all as I work from home at the moment and just did it bit by bit in-between working. Only took about 20 minutes or so in total and I didn't need any help attaching the back. The two mounts on the side held it in place enough while I put the bolts in.

I hadn't noticed the L & R on the side covers but, as you mentioned, they both seem to be the same and mine 'look' flush. Agree that it was a slight pain with the screw, but didn't take very long to get it in.

I'm a little heavier than you and the seat base does seem very firm for my posterior. Not too uncomfortable though and hopefully it'll soften a little, though not too much.

[Edit] Took one of the side covers off to check, and by pure luck they're on the right way round :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
[Edit] Took one of the side covers off to check, and by pure luck they're on the right way round :)

Probably why it was flushed hahahaha ;), it's hard to notice the 'R' and 'L' anyway 50% gamble.

Nice review, still deciding if I want to pull the trigger need to decide soon.

Glad to help, as this chair is totally new with the vent and fabric material. If you need anymore question just ask, you may have to decide quickly otherwise there maybe no stock or price goes back up. I don't know how many 'limited edition' they are going to make.

Associate
OP
Day 2

Due to the hard foam, I've put the lumbar support to the minimum setting for the time being as the whole seat has not settle in yet. While sitting on the chair isn't back breaking, the seat is molding you than you are molding the chair when you get it new. This will feel like your bum is numbing and your back is pushing the foam. The first day you feel like that the chair is giving you back ache but you be fine afterwards, yesterday wasn't too bad so it's a sign that the foam will break in with your weight.

The tilt is set at 80% of the way, to encourage myself to fall into the seat than oppose to leaning forwards. Because of that I can't really reach the floor and I put my legs up on a ledge. Over multiple hours of sitting, you do eventually get warm and the Hero has a wider seat base so I can open my legs freely which I would assume I cannot do on the Epic. I don't want to experience the non breathable material like PU leather, as I do tend to warm up easy.

I've decided to remove the lower left cover to avoid the fabric tearing from the plastic edge, when ever your put the recline straight up it will hit this cover.

But if you are always going to have a recline then it doesn't reach it.

20201204_175705-scaled.jpg

Looks like this for the time being, but nobody going to notice it my layout.

20201204_175725-scaled.jpg

Associate
OP
Measurements
30.5cm inner seat
20201206_160024-scaled.jpg

89cm the whole back seat
59cm to 68cm vent located
20201206_152148-scaled.jpg

51cm shortest arm distance
20201206_152050-scaled.jpg

56cm widest arm distance