noctua nh-d15 covering the top pciex1 slot

Associate
can any users of the nh-d15 tell me if it blocks usage of the top mini pciex1 slot, iv read yes and no on it, so im not sure if its board dependent?

thankyou for any and all help

Associate
Funny, i was researching the same thing in the morning. I'd like to know this too, was reading the nh-d15s version was designed to avoid this but it only comes with one fan.

Associate
OP
from what iv just read re the top gpu slot and the d15 i think its almost certain to hide the top mini pcie, noctua has a page (http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp) for the top graphics slot compatibility and there's quite a few boards where the cooler hides the top gpu slot, so i think the top mini pcie has no chance of being usable, the board i was looking at (z270 taichi) only has one mini pcie so that combo is out i think, i want to go back to the simplicity of air over aio but it has it problems with the top slots unfortunately, the combo search continues i suppose :)

Associate
from what iv just read re the top gpu slot and the d15 i think its almost certain to hide the top mini pcie, noctua has a page (http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp) for the top graphics slot compatibility and there's quite a few boards where the cooler hides the top gpu slot, so i think the top mini pcie has no chance of being usable, the board i was looking at (z270 taichi) only has one mini pcie so that combo is out i think, i want to go back to the simplicity of air over aio but it has it problems with the top slots unfortunately, the combo search continues i suppose :)

Thanks for the link, happy to see a green tick next to my mobo!

Soldato
What motherboard do you have?
Z270 Taichi has about 76mm center CPU to near side of 1st PCIe socket.

Why not use the D15S or one of the other top tier coolers that are just as good as D15?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
its for a new build, a z270 board (which needs a lots of satas, which limits things) i was considering the taichi it has lots of satas but only a single pceix1 mini

Associate
Am I correct in assuming the Noctua NH D15 will compares well with AIO units. I was also tempted with buying a couple of 140mm Noctua fans and fitting on a 280mm radiator and swapping the fans out. Anyone with this setup?

Associate
OP
Am I correct in assuming the Noctua NH D15 will compares well with AIO units. I was also tempted with buying a couple of 140mm Noctua fans and fitting on a 280mm radiator and swapping the fans out. Anyone with this setup?
i have a 140mm aio (h90 i think?) i swapped the default fans on it for noctua ones, the problem is the pump is the noise source now, not the fans, which is why i am switching from aio to air cooling, from my research the d15 (and dark rock pro 3) both do as well if not better than standard 240mm aio and with less noise.

Associate
Yes I am coming to same conclusion. Will probably go with the Asus Crosshair, am unsure of the fitting. I have a corsair 330R case.

Soldato
Most all top tier coolers have comparable performance to CLCs.
The be quiet! Silent Rock 280mm has a quiet pump. It is the only AIO I've ever tested that I have kept used any longer than it took to do the testing. But it is not a CLC .. it has copper radiator, proper fitters and hoses, fill port, variable speed pump that moves more then a slow trickle of coolant, etc. I have tested so many different coolers (air, AIO & CLC (can't stand CLCs) and Silent Loop is only one I liked as good or better than big air coolers.

Associate
OP
Most all top tier coolers have comparable performance to CLCs.
The be quiet! Silent Rock 280mm has a quiet pump. It is the only AIO I've ever tested that I have kept used any longer than it took to do the testing. But it is not a CLC .. it has copper radiator, proper fitters and hoses, fill port, variable speed pump that moves more then a slow trickle of coolant, etc. I have tested so many different coolers (air, AIO & CLC (can't stand CLCs) and Silent Loop is only one I liked as good or better than big air coolers.
would u recommend the silent loop over the dark rock pro 3? :)

Soldato
would u recommend the silent loop over the dark rock pro 3? :)
While I think the Silent Loop 280mm might run a few degrees cooler at full fan and pump speed than Dark Rock Pro 3, it is £47.04 more expensive. Also the Silent loop by it's very nature is not going to last as long as Dark Rock Pro 3 will .. we are talking a pump and that will likely last 6-9 years .. same as DRP3 fans, but fans are a whole lot cheaper to replace than pumps.

What is your case CPU clearance?
Dark Rock Pro 3 isn't the only good looking air cooler out there now. ;)

Associate
OP
While I think the Silent Loop 280mm might run a few degrees cooler at full fan and pump speed than Dark Rock Pro 3, it is £47.04 more expensive. Also the Silent loop by it's very nature is not going to last as long as Dark Rock Pro 3 will .. we are talking a pump and that will likely last 6-9 years .. same as DRP3 fans, but fans are a whole lot cheaper to replace than pumps.

What is your case CPU clearance?
Dark Rock Pro 3 isn't the only good looking air cooler out there now. ;)
case clearance is 180mm thankgod (fractal r5), theres others that rival the pro 3 for performance+sound dba... say its not so :) (except noctua their always in my mind when thinking of these types of air coolers)

Soldato
case clearance is 180mm thankgod (fractal r5), theres others that rival the pro 3 for performance+sound dba... say its not so :) (except noctua their always in my mind when thinking of these types of air coolers)
Dark Rock Pro 3 is a couple degrees warmer than NH-D15 but is quieter. NH-D15S w/ single fan and offset base for better PCIE clearanceabout the same same noise and cooling as DRP3. I will not mention coolers like R1 Ultimate (not quite as quiet) or Le Macho Grande RT (big black top and black/white fan. ;)

Dark Rock Pro 3 is probably a little quieter than Silent Loop too, but not enough so I notice it, and my system is only 3 feet away on end of desk/bench

Associate
OP
Dark Rock Pro 3 is a couple degrees warmer than NH-D15 but is quieter. NH-D15S w/ single fan and offset base for better PCIE clearanceabout the same same noise and cooling as DRP3. I will not mention coolers like R1 Ultimate (not quite as quiet) or Le Macho Grande RT (big black top and black/white fan. ;)

Dark Rock Pro 3 is probably a little quieter than Silent Loop too, but not enough so I notice it, and my system is only 3 feet away on end of desk/bench
thankyou thats very interesting and helpful (feverishly googles D15S :) )

ps i could not own any part called "le macho grande"

Soldato
thankyou thats very interesting and helpful (feverishly googles D15S :) )

ps i could not own any part called "le macho grande"
ROFL It's not like the name is in glowing green on top of cooler. I don't think it's even written on the cooler anywhere.

What are you planning to use in the 1x PCIe socket? If it's not to big it may fit between cooler and back of case.

Associate
OP
ROFL It's not like the name is in glowing green on top of cooler. I don't think it's even written on the cooler anywhere.

What are you planning to use in the 1x PCIe socket? If it's not to big it may fit between cooler and back of case.
its a asus pce-ac68 wifi card, and its a bit of a long pcb, re the "le macho", if someone asked me what parts i was using and i had one of those, id just flat out lie, id rather say "stock cooler for gods sake whats this an interrogation!", so to save me from that awkward encounter, no, no le macho grande for me.

Soldato
can any users of the nh-d15 tell me if it blocks usage of the top mini pciex1 slot, iv read yes and no on it, so im not sure if its board dependent?

thankyou for any and all help

I'm running a nh-d15se (if it's the same one you're on about) on an Asus B350m micro atx board. It's a big ol' cooler and gets very close to the back of my graphics card and judging by the position of the the 1x slots further down in my case, I would say it'll cover any top 1x slot, if you're trying to mount something in there.

Ram/case side clearance with the optional front fan is something to consider too.

Edit: Though of course you're on about an intel board here I see! Still, same thing applies, it's a big cooler! :D

Back
Top Bottom