Noctua NH-U12F CPU Heatsink... opinions?

Associate
Richdog said:
Wish me luck... installing very soon... :cool:

luck!

let us know how it goes please, my new build should be here today, currently bouncing it's way to me on a City Link van :) , and it contains one of these to go on my C2D. thanks.

Soldato
Richdog said:
Surely this is just basic common sense? :confused:

No-one suggested watercooling in your case could replace all need for air cooling in terms of airflow over other components...that would be silly. But RAM, HDD's etc certainly don't need active cooling over them other than that generated by the case fans.

But what if you have no case fans? If your system is totally passive and cools everything on different loops? Or if your system has 2 120mm radiators on two loops and uses the original case fan mounting points so there are no additional fans?

Everyone has preconceptions about what something is. In your example, you want to use a water-cooling solution that would be an addition to the existing cooling fans (apart from the CPU) whereas someone else might be using it for quiet cooling.

I know that you are aware alternative solutions exist and all I'm saying is that while what you are saying is 100% correct, it might not be applicable to my situation.

It's my inability to explain that that has caused the confusion and I apologise for that. I'm not saying that anything you've said isn't correct, just that I didn't explain myself properly in the situation I have in my head (and you can't see :eek: ) where there are no extra fans.

Caporegime
OP
Well... installed (phew), had to get my dad to help me though to hold some of the bits while I screwed things in, it's nigh-on impossible for one person to do and I haven't got the greatest patiencce when it comes to fiddly little things.

First impressions... it's cooling the same as my SI-120, but we need to bear in mind is that it's a warm day today, the AS5 has yet to set, and I think my bloody CPU is a bit concave. :(

Going to give it a couple of days for the AS5 to set and then see how it goes... but I did a quick load test and it seems that this cooler shaves about 5c-7c off of the SI-120. I imagine i'd get the same results here if I installed a TT 120 too.

I'm also getting a split A/C unit nistalled in my room for free courtesy of one of my dads mates so this should further improve things this summer.

I may also try a diffferent fan on there such as my higher CFM Panaflo and see what difference that makes compared to the Noctua.

Associate
I installed the Noctua NH-U12F this afternoon and had no problems installing it on my own. I guess it's all in the technique ;)

Idle temps are 29c which is 4c better than the stock fan. Load temps are 44c. The fan is also extremely quiet, which I'm especially delighted with.

Overall I'm pretty pleased so far :)

Back
Top Bottom