Noisy AIO cooler

Associate
I've got a Corsair H45, which is performing very well actually, idle temps are in the low 20's and barely goes over 40 at full load, even though the fan speed is set quite low and it's having to pull air through a thick foam filter, it still works very well, around 15-20 degrees lower than the stock cooler (i5-6500).

The pump is loud though, and it makes quite an annoying buzz, not like the whirring of a loud fan, it's just an irritating noise. Is this normal? Is there anything you can do to stop the noise? Am I right in saying that the pump should always be ran at full speed or can I try turning it down?

Associate
OP
If you're saying too shake the block because of the pump, the H45 is different to some of the other coolers, the pump/reservoir is mounted on the radiator.

Associate
OP
The fan speed is set quite low so the fan is no worse than the other fans in the case, but I did try it at full speed and you're right, absolutely awful, far too loud.

Soldato
Pumps make sound and CLC pumps are known to be audible, especially when other thing in system make less sound than pump does. This is one of the reasons many of us do not use CLCs. ;) A good air cooler will cool just as well and make way less sound than a CLC does .. for many reasons .. and for less money.

Associate
OP
My case is too small to fit a full sized air cooler, one of the things I didn't research before buying, but then again I didn't originally intend to do any overclocking so didn't plan on changing the cooler. I got the H45 on sale at a decent price, not much more than the most popular air coolers, and the performance of it seems very good, really can't complain about the performance at all, just that slight buzzing noise when everything else in the room is silent, you can really hear it. During the day when there's more background noise it's not as bad.

Soldato
Does it sound kinda like an aquarium pump? :D

FYI, there are some nice smaller cooler, some that are just as good or very close to the best big coolers.

Soldato
Their on a customized profile. However I have tried disconnecting all the fans and the noise is still there,its coming from the radiator/pump.

BIOS shows the pump is running at 4000 which is what it should be right? Corsair recommend not to adjust the pump speed.

Soldato
You might be able to slow pump down some and lower pump noise, but it will lower coolant flow and possibly raise CPU temp. CLCs have pump only marginally able to flow enough coolant at full speed when new, and this flow rate gets lower the more wear there is on the pump. It really boils down to CLCs are not as quiet as a good air cooler, or cool any better. Of all the CLCs and AIOs I've used / tested the only one that has remained in use is the be quiet! Silent Loop 280mm I have. It's made by Aphacool to be quiet! specifications and light-years better than CLCs are with a copper radiator with reasonable fin spacing so fans are quieter, proper fittings, PWM pump motor that is designed to run at lower speeds, fill plug for adding / changing coolant, etc. While I have not used the Aisbaer or Kelvin, but it is my understanding the Silent Loop has a quieter pump design than other Alphacool OEM AIOs because of what they call "decoupled reverse-flow" pump.

Soldato
Thanks for the info. Mine was a last minute buy when I realised my Brocken 2 wouldn't fit in my new midi case.

I assumed a smaller air cooler would be inferior so went for the cheapest AIO thinking it would be better

Soldato
Certainly some bias against AIO in here.

The only thing I can say is that motor noise on the pump is always going to be a thing.

Apart from that the ability to cool is fine and you get to have the heat transfer part on a side of the case and not a very large component taking up much of the top centre. Actual cooling potential depends on how large a radiator it has and where the air is coming from.

The AIO I've had for 8 years is still going fine, ofc never had to change the coolant. The pump has always been at 12v and always has made some noise, Can't really compare to yours since volume in a video depends on a lot of things, not least how close the mic is. But I hear my fans at 1200rpm or at least the airflow turbulence more than I can hear the 1300rpm pump with it on the desk next to me in a low noise case (mini p180).

If it's something you can't live with then ditch it. I've chucked out a full set of fans before in less than a week because I didn't like the tone they generated.

Soldato
Thanks for the info. Mine was a last minute buy when I realised my Brocken 2 wouldn't fit in my new midi case.

I assumed a smaller air cooler would be inferior so went for the cheapest AIO thinking it would be better
There are some very good mid-size and even small air coolers. What case do you have? I might be able to help

Hotwired you are correct, I am indeed 'biased' CLCs, but not AIOs that are not CLC. My 'bias' is based on sound evidence showing the between them and quality air cooling .. even listed some of basic reasons for my dislike of them based on my own and others who have many many years of experience using all kinds of cooling systems .. from low priced air on up to 4-digit custom loops.

Soldato
Yes I believe you slate them more than they deserve.

They work very well and at enthusiast level they are usually more practical than the equivalent cooling potential air cooler in a case as the location and size of the air cooler is not ideal at all.

Soldato
Yes I believe you slate them more than they deserve.

They work very well and at enthusiast level they are usually more practical than the equivalent cooling potential air cooler in a case as the location and size of the air cooler is not ideal at all.
I believe you are making excuses for them. The facts support my claims you think 'slate' CLCs, but they do not support yours' .. like claiming 'at enthusiast level they are usually more practical ...' is way more slanted than anything I've posted. The same applied to your 'cooler location and size' statement. Cooler area is in same basic a place on all motherboards .. and as long as a little thought is used in choosing a case that has 150mm rather the few cases that only support water cooling, often only CLCs .. but even then AIOs (not CLCs) like Eisbaer, Kelvin & Silent Loop are much better options will fit with no issues. For example the Scythe Fuma cools as well as any other top tier air cooler and is only 137 x 149 x 130 mm (W x H x D w/ fans) 107 mm D without front fan. And there are some even smaller that cool as well as any 120mm or 140mm CLC radiator at lower noise levels.

Soldato
You're mistaken. I don't believe I can change your opinion at all. I wanted to be a different voice in this thread which wasn't negative about the existence of AIOs.

As for the size and position you didn't understand.

Take a range of cases, install a good air cooler. Double towers, double fans.

Now change the memory, we're upgrading.

Lets upgrade the fans in the case. Need to access all the fan headers.

Picture should be clear now, a large air cooler is a worse obstruction than an AIO.

This is just one point and not the whole reason someone would want an AIO but there we go.

Back
Top Bottom