Noisy neighbour, playing guitar, drums etc!

Soldato
I want my neighbours to know that The Who exist.

A drum kit would, but an electric drum kit would be perfectly quiet. You can't hear an electric guitar from more than a few metres away, and bass even less. You basically have to be standing next to it unless someone is slapping the **** out of it.

I'd worry more about vocals, but if all they hear is singing and some drum pads being hit then that sounds pretty quiet.

An unamplified electric drum kit generally sounds like someone whacking a book with some sticks. Not normally a problem unless you are in the same room. Belting out death metal screaming vocals with no audible backing music may be slightly more irritating for those next door.

Man of Honour
How does this work? Surely the instruments make their sounds anyway? Or do you use electric stuff? I take it you guys don't use any percussion stuff then? Or do you have electric kit for practice and the acoustic kit for gigs?

The drums are electric and our guitars/keyboards DI into the mixing desk and we all have software on our phones so we can do our own mixes.
We also do this when playing live and we usually have a 15 minute practice on stage where members of the audience will approach saying 'Did you know you aren't turned on?" :)
The new drummer (my nephew) now uses a proper Pearl kit on stage.
Of course a neighbour could hear the singing if they listened hard but it is a girl singer and the rest of us just do oohs and aahs.
If it was my last band Disturbin The Peace I would have woke the whole street up.

This is what our Soundman uses, this is a session at his house and I'm sitting to his left by my keyboard, you can see my Telecaster propped up.
The rack in the middle contains wireless headphone stuff.
All that stuff goes on the stage now and he walks round controlling everything with a tablet.

presonus.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
we don't live next to someone playing drums, we have a screaming women to content with instead. she looses it at the slightest little thing and it's even worse when she is drunk. OP - I feel for your friend but I think i'd take drums over screeching and screaming any day of the week.

bol

bol

Associate
Have this problem atm. You need to get in touch with the person making the noise or their landlord to get the matter resolved amicably.
Failing this you need to get in touch with environmental health depth at your local council. They will then start a case and send you a noise diary and a link to a noise recording app that logs times and GPS data and you get 10 30 second recordings per day. This will result in a noise abatement order if the council deem it to be a nuisance.
Obviously the more people raise this issue, the more likely it is to be dealt with.
Noisy neighbours are a pain in the arse and no matter what you do, some will never change.

Back
Top Bottom