Noob ABS 3d print advice

Soldato
Evening guys.
I'm looking to get into 3d printing, I have a few projects that are beyond my capacity on my lathe that I know a 3d printer would breeze through. But it's only any use if they will stand up to engine temps. Perhaps 70°C continuous with a fuel and oil resistance.

Looks like ABS would do the trick.

If we agree ABS, it seems that rules out the entry level machines due to the temps required is that right?

Any tips or pointers?
Cheers :)

Associate
I agree that a ABS or similar filament is what you need.

In terms of printer, what you looking for is an all metal hotend so that you can get to the 240°c+ temp, you'll also need a bed that can get to at least 90°c+ and to enclose it a bit to avoid drafts as they will cause warping of the printed part.

While the entry level will state they can get that hotend temp, that's their max do to have PTFE in the hotend that will degrade and give off harmful gases.

Associate
What's your budget? What sort of size part are you after printing?

How many of this part are you wanting to print, would you be better getting someone to print it for you?

Soldato
OP
I haven't set a budget, perhaps £500 new or used.
I've seen someone on YouTube printing velocity stacks just like I want using Apollo X from Form Futura on an Ender 3. He didn't even use an enclosure. And they turned out great.
Circa 60x60x100

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
An enclosure of sorts seems to offer a solution there. I know a ghetto box around an ender 3 isn't quite the pinnacle of hot boxes but in the YT video of the guy using this setup he didn't have any warping without a box.

Associate
I'm not say you HAVE to enclose it, it will depend of how and where you print but it will help.

I've printed parts without but then needed it for others.

Apollo X is ASA, it's easier to print than ABS in my experience.

Associate
OK, so yeah it printed fine. In a small office with no drafts and a brim on his non-stock Ender 3.

Me personally, I'd by a printer and upgrade it to do what you want but that because that the part of 3D printing I enjoy.

Soldato
OP
I'm not against that at all, happy to buy one and mod a little if it makes sense to do so.
The Ender 3 seems a very common platform to do this from.
The ender 5 pro seems like potentially the smarter money though?
Silent motor main board upgrade
Better PSU
Hotter bed
Metal extruder
And bigger

Associate
I'm not against that at all, happy to buy one and mod a little if it makes sense to do so.
The Ender 3 seems a very common platform to do this from.
The ender 5 pro seems like potentially the smarter money though?
Silent motor main board upgrade
Better PSU
Hotter bed
Metal extruder
And bigger
Someone's read the product page :p. I haven't looked at what extruder Creality ship now but comparing an Ender 3 (original) to and Ender 5 pro is useless. Most now ship with the same PSU, control board and bed temperature is the same on all of them. So really yeah it's bigger that's it.

I still think you'll need to modify it a bit to print ASA.

The problem with Creality is they are a bit hit and miss on QC and customer support is basically nonexistent.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They both have a bed temp of 110°C and nozzle temp over 220°C though AFAIK
What mods do you envisage?

Product page? Gah, the website (mobile version at least) is garbage... wish it was that simple!

Do you have any non-creality brand suggestions?

Associate
They both have a bed temp of 110°C and nozzle temp over 220°C though AFAIK
What mods do you envisage?

Product page? Gah, the website (mobile version at least) is garbage... wish it was that simple!

Do you have any non-creality brand suggestions?
All metal hotend so you can get the 250-270 temps. The print surface itself, some have luck with glass surface that comes with them others not, I personally like a PEI flexible sheet.

The list you gave is exactly what is listed on the Ender 5 product page.

Anycubic or Elegoo are good brands.

Soldato
OP
I've narrowed it down to either the Ender 3 Pro at ~£180 or the Ender 3 S1 Pro at ~£409.
By the time I have bought the BL touch and an all metal hot end, I feel like the S1 makes sense, it also has the capacity for 300°C which I feel will help with abs/asa or carbon nylon etc.

Any thoughts on that logic?

Associate
I've narrowed it down to either the Ender 3 Pro at ~£180 or the Ender 3 S1 Pro at ~£409.
By the time I have bought the BL touch and an all metal hot end, I feel like the S1 makes sense, it also has the capacity for 300°C which I feel will help with abs/asa or carbon nylon etc.

Any thoughts on that logic?
Yeah makes sense. Have fun with it.

Back
Top Bottom