Noob basic ram overclock question

Associate
I have a Z370 asus rog maximus x hero, i7 8086k at 5.2ghz. The corsair vengence ram from my previous build is lpx 3600mhz C18 19 19 39.

I have set the XMP profile in the bios but due to my lack of ram overclocking knowledge i was wondering if i kept the XMP profile active and scrolled down to DRAM frequency and changed that to say 3866mhz which when done shows up on cpuz as that speed now, is that an okay and easy way to gain a quick boost without going into complicated manual changes i don’t want to get into. I presume i can keep changing the DRAM frequency setting up until a benchmark crashes.
I presume that if my pc doesn’t crash the overclock is fine and it doesn’t matter if i this change with XMP active.
Thanks in advance

Associate
Yes but only to a degree.

There are reports of this ram not overclocking worth a damm, but that may just be inexperience/trying to get to much or the other hardware not up to the extra load (psu for example)

I'd be happy to try it myself, but would back it down two steps from a crash and not one, then bench overnight

Associate
OP
Yes but only to a degree.

There are reports of this ram not overclocking worth a damm, but that may just be inexperience/trying to get to much or the other hardware not up to the extra load (psu for example)

I'd be happy to try it myself, but would back it down two steps from a crash and not one, then bench overnight

Thanks. I’ve managed to change the dram frequency drop down menu to 4000mhz with xmp still on and it seems stable on some tests and gaming so i’ll leave it there i think. Nice bump for a 1 second job in the bios. My motherboard maxes out at 4100mhz support anyway.

Associate
Run memtest64 at minimum and preferably memtestHCI for at least 1000% coverage. If you get no errors you should be good.

Unstable memory overclocks are a nightmare. I wouldn't just set and forget like that.

Back
Top Bottom