Noob new build windows installation and drivers advice

Soldato
Hi, as per title I've got my order in the way.
Original thread.

I've watched some YouTube and just wanted to clarify the correct steps and preparation for when it arrives.

So ocuk are building it for me.
1. Have windows 10 installation tool downloaded on to usb- therefore should be latest version and avoid lots of updates?
2. Have activation key ready.
3. When it arrives boot via USB by pressing ?F12.
4. Install Windows on to SSD- assume will give me an option to pick which drive to install to?
5. Have prepared drivers on usb for everything including usb Wi-Fi dongle.
6. Correct order to install drivers? Wifi-> Motherboard-> gfx card -> any others??
7. Install What ever other programmes I wish.

Now the mb is the x470 ultra gaming (basic). When I go to the gigabyte website I can't really find the main set of drivers???? What the basic set I am looking for ? Am I looking at the wrong place?

Next step bios - would this have already been done by ocuk? If not only change is ram -> xmp profile? That it ? (I don't have any plans to overclock).

Worth using a bench afterwards to ensure all in check? Any recommendations?

Soldato
Morning,

I tend to install only one drive first that I want OS to , enter bios and make sure it boost from there . Reboot and when it goes into the splash screen press F12 to boot from the USB (in the past set it to boot off install drive and it just gets caught in a loop sometimes )

Leave all settings at its default in BIOS when. Installing everything ! Makes life easier. I also tend to use current bios version till everything's done , then update it. Others do that first .

On the X470 Aorus 5 page ( under gigabyte.com website) , select support and then you'll see all the drivers drive their sub groupings !
Normally you download latest version. I.e under audio Version [8459]
BT Driver [20.60.0.4]

Site has been updated to include build 1803 updates !

Also, make sure you have Windows build 1803 (latest on your boot media - makes life easier )

Then after all drivers are installed , everything's up to date , under the Utilities section , just download APP Center and it will download all the other uts you want/need

Soldato
OP
Ah thanks was clicking on wrong area. Found them.

Do you think the order I've put down things is correct? As per your advice I'll update bios at the end.

Assume with mb I download all latest drivers from each section?

Any specific apps from the centre you particularly recommend?

Soldato
OP
@orbitalwalsh

I'm reading some worrying issues with setting ram to the advertised rate via bios not achieving it and then causing crashes. This is on another forum section.

I don't quite understand the volts and settings. If I picked xmp will pick recommended settings for me? Tempted to just ask ocuk to do it all for me....

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh

I'm reading some worrying issues with setting ram to the advertised rate via bios not achieving it and then causing crashes. This is on another forum section.

I don't quite understand the volts and settings. If I picked xmp will pick recommended settings for me? Tempted to just ask ocuk to do it all for me....

Like x370 before it , early days for bios. Few flagships still have some trouble . Someone created a Ryzen Ram Calculator to make it a lot more stable . Believe most think 2933hz most stable .
Might cost a bit more for OCUK to do it if your worries or don't feel like trying to calculator yourself .
Least then if your paying someone, you can have a go at them ! Haha

Some ram kits and brands are becoming more then friendly but those kits are still at to lower speed .

Want an easier life @8 Pack 3200 kit is one of the BEST for ryzen and is also Samsung B Die chips which ryzen likes.. bit you do pay the price for it

Soldato
OP
Like x370 before it , early days for bios. Few flagships still have some trouble . Someone created a Ryzen Ram Calculator to make it a lot more stable . Believe most think 2933hz most stable .
Might cost a bit more for OCUK to do it if your worries or don't feel like trying to calculator yourself .
Least then if your paying someone, you can have a go at them ! Haha

Some ram kits and brands are becoming more then friendly but those kits are still at to lower speed .

Want an easier life @8 Pack 3200 kit is one of the BEST for ryzen and is also Samsung B Die chips which ryzen likes.. bit you do pay the price for it

Are there any dangers with me trying to this myself with guides? Could I fry anything lol

Soldato
Why didnt you get OCUK to include the Windows install because you wouldnt needed to have to do 1-6 above.

@orbitalwalsh

If OCUK are building it then they will do the BIOS stuff included in the build.

Soldato
OP
Why didnt you get OCUK to include the Windows install because you wouldnt needed to have to do 1-6 above.

If OCUK are building it then they will do the BIOS stuff included in the build.

To save some money.
They are building it (not installing windows) but wasn't sure of that included updating bios and ensuring ram runs at max speed.

Soldato
To save some money.
They are building it (not installing windows) but wasn't sure of that included updating bios and ensuring ram runs at max speed.

Worth calling up, to test speed they need to install windows , not enter key licence to bench test etc .
Bios is easy to do at you can just turn it on and enter bios from there with usb stick.
I'm sure they normally install windows to make sure parts are working

Worth called Ng and having a chat, double check and make sure your 100% happy , if it cost a little more the. So be it , if it puts mind at ease

Soldato
OP
Called them. Said they will ensure it is running at 3200mhz + stability tests before sending it to me. Any issues they will call me. Plus bios wise will all be updated :cool::)

Soldato
OP
I've just been downloading all drivers on to a usb in prep for the new build which should arrive soon. Noticed Gigabyte App centre has driver update feature. Anything wrong with using this instead? Anyone have any experience?

Soldato
OP
So I got my comp delivered today. Very happy with it. However , was told they were able to get 3000mhz for ram. However, when I check cpu-z says 2133mhz.

Bios shows 3000mhz?

@Illuminist

Soldato
So I got my comp delivered today. Very happy with it. However , was told they were able to get 3000mhz for ram. However, when I check cpu-z says 2133mhz.

Bios shows 3000mhz?

@Illuminist
It is running at 3000mhz, you see on the left column under profile 1 the multiplier is 30 and under that 3000, to the right is the default of 2133mhz... But what i dont understand is that they have just set it to auto...
Does it say auto all the way down that page?
Could you take a photo of the voltage page also for me?

Soldato
OP
It is running at 3000mhz, you see on the left column under profile 1 the multiplier is 30 and under that 3000, to the right is the default of 2133mhz... But what i dont understand is that they have just set it to auto...
Does it say auto all the way down that page?
Could you take a photo of the voltage page also for me?

It's all auto. If it's running at 3000mhz why does cpuz and task manager say otherwise???

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom