Noob question - mounting a power strip

Soldato
Hey guys,

Recently got one of those Belkin surge protection power strip thingies:

http://i.imgur.com/05yyu.jpg

And I wanted to mount it to a wall. Simple right? Just a simple screw in the wall job and hang the power strip off it right?

That's where the problem lies. This thing seems to have it's wall mount as an after thought, as the usual screw goes in then slides into a locking place doesn't apply to this. You have to somehow angle the screws in (which is impossible when the thing is up against the wall already) and even then you don't get a good fit. Pretty miffed as I don't want this thing on the floor. Searching the internet seems to yield no answers, so I'm gonna ask you guys if you have ever encountered anything like this, and if you have any solutions?

Otherwise I'll probably have to return it and get one of those standard long strips with the wall mounts that don't suck. :p

Soldato
OP
Show us a picture of the back?

Will get a picture tomorrow but it's basically two + shapes that aren't the usual O shape that a screw can fit in, then slots down a line to secure itself.

You'd need to put this thing into an angle to even get the screws in, as the usual flathead doesn't have a space to go directly in, which is the problem. Impossible to hang it off a wall.

I really liked it because of the huge surge protection, the background noise filtering (75db), and the unlimited item insurance on stuff. If this doesn't work out, anyone know of a standard long power strip that is as good as that? :(

Soldato
OP
I've only done it with wood surfaces, but yeah a couple of screws will suffice for the slots down the back of that 7-way. For a wall though, you'll need those plastic pilot screws first, then the screws.

That's the thing though, they just won't fit in properly, and won't work right. It's a pretty crappy design. :confused:

Use sticky velcro.

Would that have enough strength to hold it up? It's going to be pretty heavy with all the plugs on, it weights a bit itself.

Soldato
I've only done it with wood surfaces, but yeah a couple of screws will suffice for the slots down the back of that 7-way. For a wall though, you'll need those plastic pilot screws first, then the screws.

rawl plugs??
yes youll need them, probally only need a pair of reds and some 40mm screws for that

Soldato
OP
Yup, like I was saying - you'd THINK those would work, but the baffling design of the + holes on the back of it leaves it literally impossible for a screw to fit in securely.

Looks like I may just need another powerstrip or something, which brings me to my question above: "I really liked it because of the huge surge protection, the background noise filtering (75db), and the unlimited item insurance on stuff. If this doesn't work out, anyone know of a standard long power strip that is as good as that?"

Soldato
Has this got those cross mountings on the back? I've got the same one in white and it's mounted fine on the wall. :confused:

Are you trying to use screws that are too big? If it's the same as mine it the screw heads should fit in the middle of the cross and then slide into which ever finger of the cross is appropriate for that direction.

Soldato
OP
Has this got those cross mountings on the back? I've got the same one in white and it's mounted fine on the wall. :confused:

Are you trying to use screws that are too big? If it's the same as mine it the screw heads should fit in the middle of the cross and then slide into which ever finger of the cross is appropriate for that direction.

Yeah, it's cross mounts. Strange. What size screws did you use? Even the small ones I have fit okay in one, but don't go in fully in the other. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom