• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Noob screen res/GPU question...

Soldato
I've just bought a BenQ 24" jobby from OcUK and a 1Gb GTX 460 to start gaming with but I'm a little concerned I've overlooked something.

With my current setup using an old 17" screen playing Crysis on low was ok at 720p and my understanding is that by adding the 460 I will now be able to up the settings to say medium-correct?
But then by going to the bigger screen and 1080p I will put more load on the GPU and then perhaps have to then run on low again?!?

Is this the case or will I end up with a gaming monster :D ?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

NZB

NZB

Associate
Depending on how much you got the 460 for its not the card i would have bought new. Last i saw them they were ~£100 and you can get better now for that or Much better for a little more. Great card when you already have one or get it really cheap though.

I never played Crysis on my old 460, if i remember right last time i tried that game was on a 4850 which didn't go too well. Apart from that it will play most games at high ish settings @1080p, even BF3 will give you 30-45 ish FPS on high (don't even bother trying ultra though :p).

Soldato
OP
[WU-TANG]GZA;23187497 said:

Should be OK looking at that... Thanks :)

Depending on how much you got the 460 for its not the card i would have bought new. Last i saw them they were ~£100 and you can get better now for that or Much better for a little more. Great card when you already have one or get it really cheap though.

I never played Crysis on my old 460, if i remember right last time i tried that game was on a 4850 which didn't go too well. Apart from that it will play most games at high ish settings @1080p, even BF3 will give you 30-45 ish FPS on high (don't even bother trying ultra though :p).

I got it used for ~£60

Either way it's a step up from my trusty 4350 :D

Last edited:

NZB

NZB

Associate
550w was the enthusiast series, not even as good as their 520w tx series if i remember right (feel free to correct me, memory is vague) I'd say you'd be looking at a good make 650W PSU to Sli it. In which case i'd just sell it (or not have bought it in the first place) and put the original £60+new PSU cost+ second 460 into a decent modern single card.

Soldato
OP
The Sli was a little tongue in cheek tbh... To Sli I'd need a new MoBo that supports it at which point the I'd have to get an intel chip (be mad to buy a new AM3 board!) plus a bigger PSU and then another 460...

The PSU had been absolutely fine in the last 3 years since new, back then it was a budget build and did me perfectly. What I've done is tried to make a cost effective gaming machine from an ageing base.

Playing with the anandtech link above though it looks as though sli'd 460's would be sweet-NOT going that route though!

This dude's having fun on BF3 maxed out on a similar (lower) spec pc than mine :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSaKg6cVicI

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom