Northen Lights

Soldato
we are currently in a low period of solar activity, the sun runs on a 22 year cycle i think we are about 10 years from solar maximum, when the lights are the most impressive.

im thinking of a winter trip to iceland to have a look...in 10 years or so off course (if the ozone layer is still there!)

Man of Honour
I've watched them while I was in Rovaniemi in Finland (just about on the Arctic Circle with a Santas village on the line), absolutely stunning each and every time you see them. I can't really give you too much advice about when to look out for them but they were pretty common if you were outside any time between about 22:00 and 02:00, some nights were obviously better than others. If you do think about going to Rovaniemi I can point you in the direction of a couple of pubs/nightclubs worth seeing, however direct flights might be a bit expensive and if you go to Helsinki then Rovaniemi the train takes the best part of a full day.

Soldato
KaHn said:
Any one here been to see them?

If so where did you go and who did you fly with?

Any info would be great.

Cheers

KaHn

Aurora borealis

iv seen it once when i flew to japan with KLM from amstadam.

although chances are slim.

my dads a frequent flyer and apparently he sees more often. his got photos somewhere. his a photographer..
1161689729.jpg

1161689744.jpg

1161689757.jpg

1161689820.jpg

1161689838.jpg

its been sized down so it cant be used by otheres.

Last edited:
Caporegime
KaHn said:
Any one here been to see them?

If so where did you go and who did you fly with?

Any info would be great.

Cheers

KaHn

Aurora borealis

You really need to go at the right time. I can't remember the link but there is an excelent page that gives forecasts based on solar activiy. A bit unpredictable, like any forecast, but is more reliable than the weather. If you go at a quiet time then you wont see much. Northern scotland is an excelent place when its happening.

Soldato
saw them in iceland a few years back, best time to go is around oct - dec. there are some tour groups who do northern lights sightseeing trips.

daven

Soldato
I saw them outside my house a few years ago in livingston near edinburgh :eek: They were amazing! and as bright as any of the pictures posted here. I just stood and watched them for ages. They really give you a sense of how massive the sky actually is... i cannot stress how great it was to see them

Edit!

if you wanna see the forecast for them, have a dig around the nasa website, they'll give you information on the latest solar winds that are the source of the northern lights and are generally very good predictions. If the sun has recently had a flare, you're in for a very good chance of seeing them

Soldato
I saw them when I was living in Whistler in Canada.

It was in February and we spotted it at about 1am when we returned from a club. We sat and watched it until about 4am and I took a few long exposures on my camera.

Associate
I was only saying to someone yesterday how I would love to see them :( ,they look amazing ...on my list of things to do/see before I Die :)

Soldato
I read that there is a place in Norway that is about as optimal as you can realistically get. You could see Aurora Borealis during the day.....

Soldato
Having never seen them I gotta ask. Do they look like they do in the photos?, because all the photos seem to have massive exposure times (so i'm presuming that they arent so spectacular IRL).

Man of Honour
benneh said:
Having never seen them I gotta ask. Do they look like they do in the photos?, because all the photos seem to have massive exposure times (so i'm presuming that they arent so spectacular IRL).

It depends how lucky you are but yes, they do look like in the photos. It can be spectacular one night and dull the next, it all comes down to the conditions that night. When I saw them they were certainly as stunning as in the pictures shimy182 has, possibly more so given that I didn't have a camera at the time. :)

Back
Top Bottom