Northern Lights: Tromsø in November?

Soldato
Well, work have told me to use up my leave by Christmas again. I'm not very well travelled but last year I ended up going to Japan. I've decided I want to see the Northern Lights. Not too bothered about any other tourist stuff TBH, though I'm open to anything as an experience.

Looks like Tromsø is a reasonable bet and I figure about a week there mid-late November might be a good effort. Flights are surprisingly cheap!

Any recommendations, tips, warnings or better ideas?

Obviously going to prod @Raymond Lin for this one :)

Soldato
OP
Bit boring going on own no?
Probably but it's also a bit liberating to be able to do whatever I want. Double edged sword. My girlfriend is self employed and basically overloaded between now and Christmas, so can't come. I've posted on Facebook to see if friends are interested!

In Japan I met someone on my first morning and we buddied up for 3 days, it was great TBF.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the delay. I went to Tromsø & Oslo in Nov 2017 and got the Northern lights. The country itself is spectacular along with Tromsø being pretty surreal at that time of year.

Here are some photos from Tromsø itself.

PB212949.jpg

PB212995.jpg

PB213011.jpg

PB213013.jpg

PB213014.jpg

PB213028.jpg

PB213047.jpg

PB213046.jpg

PB213083.jpg

PB213091.jpg

PB213101.jpg

PB213103.jpg

PB223128.jpg

PB223135.jpg

PB223143.jpg

PB223152.jpg

PB223186.jpg

:)
Oooooh those are stunning. Using this thread to convince my mate to come with me :D

Soldato
OP
Well, flights leave Saturday morning. All this time I believed we were going Sunday until my mate corrected me yesterday. That was a small heart attack!

Have bought extra thermals, big boots, removable snow grips, and dug out my wool jumpers. A nice colleague lent me his coat to save me buying a better one :)

Also bought a tripod and I'll be packing loads of teabags and biscuits because well, I am British!

One question I'm wondering about is will we be able to just wander off into the area? We're staying a mile or so out of town and hoping to explore a lot on our own time.

Just need to learn how to set up long exposure shots!

Soldato
OP
Cheers - am all about the layers so I'm adding a thermal undershirt and longjohns to my usual, plus cotton and wool jumpers layers. Hopefully it'll do. I can also double trouser if needed.

Torches is a good shout, have head torch and pocket torch so far!

Back
Top Bottom