Norton Internet Security problem

Associate
A week or so ago NIS downloaded new files and ever since my computer has been slow, switching it off takes ages, internet (Firefox) access has been slow and Thunderbird won't download emails. The only way to get my emails is to disable NIS, download and re-enable NIS.

All this led me to the conclusion that NIS is a bloated resource hogging, Microsoft IE loving, monster that preys on simple people's (me) fears. So, I decidedd to uninstall it and replace it with Zone Alarm and other freely available anti virus software.

Of course the beast turned and bit me in the sensitives. :mad: The uninstal failed 2/3 of the way through. Now I can't uninstal what's left, I get an error message to the effect that "a previous instal/uninstal failed, please try re-installing from the CD". This doesn't work. The CD starts but when I press on "Instal NIS" it all goes quiet and nothing happens.

The computer is now much faster, but obviously, I have no anti virus and God only knows what NIS has left behind. Does nayone know of a way of getting rid of it?

I have Microsfot's firewall going and I have a firewall on my router will these be enough to protect me? Is all I need an anti virus?

Many questions with not that many answers I suspect, but any help will be gratefully received.

Back
Top Bottom