• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Not all about clock ? (P4>dual/quad)

Associate
I currently have the 3.8GHz P4 (670) and am considering upgrading to a dual or quad....

The benchmarks I find appear to show the latest chips outdo the 3.8 P4 even at lower clock speeds (say 2.66). Is this a side effect of having dual/quad cores or are they much more efficient at executing code anyway ?? (even single thread apps).

Regards

Associate
OP
There is a topic on 'Toms Hardware' that compares several processors @2.4GHz....yet they have only chosen apps that would benefit from multi cores ! (on purpose ?).

I'd like to see a 'single threaded' benchmark comparing my 3.8 670 to say a 2.6 6700 (or Q6700). An older 3dmark or pcmark maybe ?.

<sigh>

Soldato
Clock speeds have never been the be all and end all in computing.

It's about how many instructions a CPU can execute in a single clock cycle rather than how quickly it can do a single cycle.

The old Athlon 64's proved this, they ran at slower clock speed than the P4's but were much more efficient in dealing with instructions - and thus were actually faster at completing tasks than the P4's!

Associate
OP
So....

If running an old 'single threaded' ap or game, would moving to dual/quad core from my 3.8 P4 (800MHz bus) slow it down ?. I'm talking at least 2.66GHz & 1GHz bus.....

Regards

Soldato
digitaldreams said:
So....

If running an old 'single threaded' ap or game, would moving to dual/quad core from my 3.8 P4 (800MHz bus) slow it down ?. I'm talking at least 2.66GHz & 1GHz bus.....

Regards

I can't see how a dual-core would be slower.

Associate
OP
An old application/game not using the multiple cores. The only core in use though more efficient than the P4's cannot compete with the 3.8GHz of my current 670....

True or false ?

Soldato
No the core 2 duo's are just as fast as a pentium D @ half the clockspeed, so a core 2 duo @2.6 would be just as fast as a pentium D @ 5.2 GHZ in Dual-Core apps and as a 5.2 ghz Pentium 4 in Single core apps.

Even 1 of the cores of a c2d (or a c2d in single core apps) would destroy your chip in terms of performance.

Soldato
Yes, in 'general' terms, a P4 was designed to do up to 3 instructions per clock, but due to the way it was designed it normally didnt do more than 2.

AMD's Athlon 64 was a more traditional design, also designed for 3 instructions per clock, but it managed to do that virtually all the time.

Core 2 Duo's are designed for 4-5 instructions per clock, and are normally able to achieve 4, so really it is a good design.

The instructions per clock, are based on a single core, IE the Core 2 Duo being a dual core design is actually able to process 8-10 IPC given the right software, or a C2Q 16-20. Of course keeping all the cores busy isnt an easy task.

In addition to the better design of the C2D, it also has a higher FSB, so better memory bandwidth, and its able to process 128bit SSE instructions in a single clock, a P4 needed 2 clocks per SSE instruction. So for applications optimized with SSE, the C2D has even more potential. All in all its a superior design, and will outperform P4 computers with ease.

Associate
OP
Nice one !....I'm even more sold on the idea. Yes my bus would be going up to 1000 from 800 (or even to 1333 if I dare push my P5W64-WS Pro & 8000ul ram). Yet I hear bus speed has less effect that the other improvements..

Forgive me if wrong, but while the P4 is executing a couple of things at once, it could also be executing a floating point instruction in it's built in maths co-processor....same to be said of all later chips.

Regards

Associate
Back
Top Bottom