• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Noticable difference between 8800 EVGA and BFG?

Associate
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/8800_Series.html

Differences
BFG:- GeForce 8800 GTX core running at 575MHz
- Shader Clock Speed of 1350MHz
- 768MB GDDR3 Memory running at 1800MHz
- 384-Bit Memory Interface
- 128 Stream Processors
- Texture Fill Rate: 36.8 billion/sec
- Memory Bandwidth: 86.4GB/s

EVGA:
- GeForce 8800 GTS core running at 500MHz
- Shader Clock Speed of 1200MHz
- 640MB GDDR3 Memory running at 1600MHz
- 320-Bit Memory Interface
- 96 Stream Processors
- Texture Fill Rate: 24 billion/sec
- Memory Bandwidth: 64GB/s

For playing the new flight simulator and first person shooters like BF2, any notable difference?
One thing i like about EVGA, if a new card came out within 90 days I can upgrade and pay the difference right? Another card likely to come out within 90 days :confused:

Caporegime
fornowagain said:
They're all made for Nvidia by Asus with different badges. Buy the one with the best warranty/support and lowest price.

I would go for the one with the longest/best warranty

This means you have great resale value in 3 months :D

Caporegime
fornowagain said:
BFG, eVGA and XFX all do the lifetime thing. If your talking resale then the XFX has the double lifetime spiel. And yes before anyone says it, I know what they say about them here.

That balls.

If a gfx card has a receipt then its ok.

Just like my name is not on my gfx card cause my wife bought it for me for xmas. :D

Or my auntie etc...

or anyone from MM!

If one has proof of purchase.It doesn't matter wether you are winne the pooh

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually I think you will find that warranties are not generally transferable. Any purchase contract is between you and the retailer, not a third party. It even says on the EVGA terms you have to the original owner.
EVGA said:
This lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:

Last edited:
Caporegime
fornowagain said:
Actually I think you will find that warranties are not generally transferable. Any purchase contract is between you and the retailer, not a third party. It even says on the EVGA terms you have to the original owner.

Well in all my years of buying and selling PC hardware.

All I needed was a proof of purchase.

Just like buying a second user HDD.

Its the serial no. that counts.

They dont care who owns it.

Soldato
Last time I checked statutory rights are between the buyer and the retailer. If you bought it from a private individual you have no statutory rights. Although you could pursue them if they describe it as working and you find it "not fit for purpose", then small claims court. Don't confuse that with the manufacturers warranty, they can give a warranty beyond statutory rights. But it's certainly possible for them to write a non-transferable warranty and many do. As you say, I've sent back second hand HDD and monitors to the manufacturer, because they guarantee the product. A proof of purchase that's not in the your name (winne the pooh?) may not get you very far with a retailer, as you have no contract with them. You'll just have to ask auntie to take it back.

As a mater of fact an example for you. I sold some Ballistix ram to a chap over a year ago. It died as they all do. I had to process the replacement application because they would not deal with him. They did ship to his address though, as a courtesy .

The foregoing Limited Lifetime Warranty is granted to the initial Customer only and is nontransferable.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/company/termsofsale.asp#warranty

Last edited:
Man of Honour
fornowagain is strictly correct on the warranties thing, unless the manufacturer specifically allows for the transferral of the warranty(and most specifically exclude it just to make it clear) it is a contract between the original purchaser and the company.

However if you paid cash or the receipt otherwise does not contain any further identifying details you can probably get away with passing yourself off as the original buyer, not legal and not a particularly good idea though.

PilotTait the GTX is as mentioned a much faster card but you are not exactly comparing like for like, either one will be very fast but you are comparing cards with a price difference of about £100, if there wasn't a gap in performance you'd be mighty disappointed(and dare I say rather stupid) purchasing the more expensive one. The new ATI cards will be the only major revision in the next 90 days(I think they will be released that soon?) but I don't know if EVGA produce cards with ATI chipsets or only with Nvidia so I'd say buy the EVGA if the bundle or cooler appeals because those are about the only differences between it and any other GTS card. :)

Back
Top Bottom