Now or wait ?

Soldato
So i did a VR Rift demo in a local store, and was wow, gotta get this ! Except its expensive !

The small amount of research has led me to buy a Rift..... But really mostly cos its supposed to be more comfortable that's what they had on demo. i've not looked into the PS4 VR, even tho i have a couple of PS4's in the house, one move controller and a ps4 eye.

My gaming rig is a 980gtx so i'm half way there PC wise. But i don't want to buy it today only to find out so much better is coming out down the road... Not that i think i can wait ! But you know what i mean.

Associate
The next generation of Vr headsets (for pc) will be a while off yet and pretty much dictated by gpu horsepower and how the first batch of AAA games pan out.

Soldato
Yep, late 2018/2019 has been thrown about by a few people (Like Mr Newell). This is of course is very loosely suggested and not one of them has said there are definitely new ones coming then. Just that they expect them around that time.

Soldato
OP
I went back to the store for a proper demo last night and was probably going to buy. However unfortunately the Oculus demos are only on weekends (Best Buy I'm in the US) But i could just buy it and if i don't like it take it back.

My son who's going to be 12 next month REALLY REALLY WANTS one after spending all of 30secs with the headset on on Sunday !! He's a big PC gamer, and also has a PS4, but 90% of his gaming is on the PC. Unfortunately his rig is my old one... So spec wise its an i7 2600k with only a 1050ti GPU which i only installed a couple of weeks ago, as his 7950 just gave up, But i could probably pick up a GTX970 for a couple of hundred bucks and install it for him. Will an i7 2600k do VR ? I tend to try not to overclock due to heat, as i live in the tropics, and it gets warm in that den as it is.. don't want any additional heat being kicked up.. or i could just say what about the PS4 VR for you instead, which is nicely situated in his bedroom and i just get the Rift on my comp for him to use as and when ? I don't want to be dropping $800 x 2..... My two boys which will probably end up using the VR more than me, as my gaming days seem to have dwindled significantly as i age. We have a den, with all three of our computers in there.

Here's the thing, i was going to take him to Disney MGM this weekend which would have meant dropping about $500, hotel and park costs, but i said we could just put that towards a rift instead... He was all over that like a jumping bean.

Soldato
The i7 2600k will be fine for VR, but you will need to overclock it a little. Have you the stock cooler on it?

But, I think you should just buy one rift and use it on your PC.

Soldato
OP
The i7 2600k will be fine for VR, but you will need to overclock it a little. Have you the stock cooler on it?

But, I think you should just buy one rift and use it on your PC.

No i have a coolermaster hyper evo or something similar at least.. Can't remember exactly what it was called. But i bought the cooler in anticipation that one day i may need to overclock ! However with all the games i was playing, i didn't notice any cpu bottlenecks at the time so didn't bother overclocking.

Soldato
I would try the vive too before dropping the money on VR. 2600k overclocked should be fine for most things but a 980 non ti will require some settings management to keep fps up in some games. Most things should be playable though! Oh and check your pc meets the rifts specs, I seem to remember usb 3 was an issue for some on older platforms

Soldato
OP
I would try the vive too before dropping the money on VR. 2600k overclocked should be fine for most things but a 980 non ti will require some settings management to keep fps up in some games. Most things should be playable though! Oh and check your pc meets the rifts specs, I seem to remember usb 3 was an issue for some on older platforms

Thing that's turning me off the vive is that you need to power source those sensors.

Caporegime
I went back to the store for a proper demo last night and was probably going to buy. However unfortunately the Oculus demos are only on weekends (Best Buy I'm in the US) But i could just buy it and if i don't like it take it back.

My son who's going to be 12 next month REALLY REALLY WANTS one after spending all of 30secs with the headset on on Sunday !! He's a big PC gamer, and also has a PS4, but 90% of his gaming is on the PC. Unfortunately his rig is my old one... So spec wise its an i7 2600k with only a 1050ti GPU which i only installed a couple of weeks ago, as his 7950 just gave up, But i could probably pick up a GTX970 for a couple of hundred bucks and install it for him. Will an i7 2600k do VR ? I tend to try not to overclock due to heat, as i live in the tropics, and it gets warm in that den as it is.. don't want any additional heat being kicked up.. or i could just say what about the PS4 VR for you instead, which is nicely situated in his bedroom and i just get the Rift on my comp for him to use as and when ? I don't want to be dropping $800 x 2..... My two boys which will probably end up using the VR more than me, as my gaming days seem to have dwindled significantly as i age. We have a den, with all three of our computers in there.

Here's the thing, i was going to take him to Disney MGM this weekend which would have meant dropping about $500, hotel and park costs, but i said we could just put that towards a rift instead... He was all over that like a jumping bean.
Maybe focus on them enjoying the real world instead of the virtual one, and take them to Disney MGM? They are kids, don't turn them into hardcore antisocial gamers at too young an age.

Soldato
OP
Maybe focus on them enjoying the real world instead of the virtual one, and take them to Disney MGM? They are kids, don't turn them into hardcore antisocial gamers at too young an age.

You know nothing about my family. So please do not judge. We went to Universal more times than i could ever shake a stick at last yr. They go to the beach, pool, out on their BMX's out with mum and dad all the time. They prefer playing on their gaming computers more than all those things above, which is not what i or their mother particularly like, but what they prefer... Which this day and age involves social interaction with their buddies and even cousins in the UK, via FaceTime, while meeting up in whatever game they decide to all meet up in. There's normally 4 FaceTimes going on at one time in that den, with lots of screaming, jumping and excitement. I'd hardly call that anti-social. But i will give you that VR is probably more suited to single player anti-social. But as long as there's a balance, i don't see a problem with it.

Soldato

That's a bit preachy isn't it? Considering that you know nothing about the guy or his family or what kind of life they lead.

Soldato
OP
That's a bit preachy isn't it? Considering that you know nothing about the guy or his family or what kind of life they lead.

I know, his bro, is actually going to Universal with his mother and their friend this weekend... I said, we can either go to Disney OR !!!!! buy an Oculus ! Not both, just one or the other... VR is something thats exciting to the two of us, so instead of doing real roller coasters, we'll give the virtual ones a try ! if it doesn't turn out to be as great as i hope, i'll return it and take him to Disney next week !! :D

Back
Top Bottom