NT4 installer not finding hard disks

Soldato
Hiya,

need to reinstall NT4 on our old PDC, booted it up loaded all the drivers I can find on the dell website for SCSI, IDE controllers and the RAID drivers. Damn thing won't find the hard disk though, gets just past the "specify driver" section then says it can't find any hard disks and asks me to reboot.

I have the nasty feeling I'm missing something, it's been a good 3 years since I installed NT4! the drives are all working and if I boot off a disk I can format them (currently C is formatted as a 3.5GB FAT16 drive).

any ideas?

Soldato
A 3.5Gb FAT16 partition? :confused:

With all the Dell servers I've installed I had to boot from a Dell CD and do an assisted installation. Good luck finding an OpenManage CD that'll let you whack an obsolete OS on the box.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately the last guy in the job threw the openmanage CDs out :)

I've got it loaded up now, I was forgetting to interupt it early on with F6 and adding the controller drivers then instead of after the installation had started. It's odd how you forget these little things!

Soldato
before you update the box remever you have to do things in a funny order to get the quick launch bar working. If i remember right the best way is to get the Service pack 5 cd, upgrade to that, on the same CD is IE4 with the enhanced interface. Then install SP6a and finnally IE6.

Soldato
Kami said:
I've got it loaded up now, I was forgetting to interupt it early on with F6 and adding the controller drivers then instead of after the installation had started. It's odd how you forget these little things!
It's even more strange why NT4 doesnt actually prompt you to do that. Never mind :D

Sone said:
before you update the box remever you have to do things in a funny order to get the quick launch bar working. If i remember right the best way is to get the Service pack 5 cd, upgrade to that, on the same CD is IE4 with the enhanced interface. Then install SP6a and finnally IE6.
Never had issues there myself. Vanilla NT4 Install > SP6a > IE6. Good as gold :confused:

Back
Top Bottom