NTL problems. Help me please!

Soldato
Ok,

This is starting to drive me completely and utterly insane.

Around a month ago, I noticed that I was occasionaly getting dropped by xbox live... to which I ignored.

But recently, even basic things such as surfing is becoming impossible, web pages constantly stop loading lead to bouts of "try again" with firefox.

Downloads constantly stop and start with firefox... I may be downloading drivers from ATI.com for example, at 600KB a second for 3 seconds, then it stops. I then have to pause and unpause the download and eventually it will start again.

I have tried altering the DNS servers to the ones posted on the forms earlier, which helps just a tiny little bit.

Is it because NTL are upgrading their network or is there something actually wrong? I am starting to think there is actually a problem, simply because I have the older modem (Terayon black modem... the older one)... what do you think I should do? wait for a couple of days for them to finish the repairs (say the second of the month) and then call them up?

Does anyone have their number for Broadband support?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, it is getting to the point where I literally cant even enjoy the internet :(

Soldato
OP
I live in Luton, Bedfordshire mate...

I have a few friends that claim they are having problems, but not as bad as mine...

I have heard that there are problems when you try to claim for a new modem, and they will argue against it....

What is the phone number?

Thanks again for any help

Soldato
what cable modem do you have? I had similar problems a month or so ago when they upgraded their network, exactly the same as you describe, cs didn't have a clue but i forced them to send an engineer out, when he came he said it's a very common problem after they did their upgrades. New modem did the job, it's only the older ones that have the problem.

Soldato
OP
I have a Terayon black modem... I got it around the time that 512KB per second was the fastest connection they did (when they had 64KB for their slowest speed)...

Do you think thats the problem? What should I say to them on the phone, I am a bit worried cause I have heard they fob a lot of people off, any suggestions on the number to call to?

Soldato
Dark_Angel said:
I have a Terayon black modem... I got it around the time that 512KB per second was the fastest connection they did (when they had 64KB for their slowest speed)...

Do you think thats the problem? What should I say to them on the phone, I am a bit worried cause I have heard they fob a lot of people off, any suggestions on the number to call to?

Yes, that's exactly the same problem i had and the same modem. They will try and fob you off, keep them on the phone, say you're getting a slow connection, follow their speed test instructions, if they are on the ball they will notice loads of packet loss. Also spell out your modem make and model, shout if needed, they really have no idea. What speed are you on now?

Edit - it took me two calls, they first tried 'adding me to the network again' it was exactly the same

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey,

I am on the 10MB service, I have read that the modem can not support that type of speed...

Sorry to be a pain, but does anyone have a direct number to their broadband?

Thanks for the help though...

Soldato
yeah, it doesn't like 10mb, it was okish for a while with mine but only getting about 5mb, then they did the network upgrade and it was smashed, with the new modem i get the full 10mb.

Broadband Technical Support 0871 225 1111*

Soldato
OP
Yeah, mine was ok until they have been doing the recent network upgrades, when I first was put on the 10MB connection everything was ok, I was just getting about 8.5MB per second (which was good enough so I did not mind) but recently its been getting punished by NTL :(

Sorry to be a hastle, but have you any suggestions what to say to them so they dont try to fob me off?

Is it pretty much a case of "My modem is to old, ping me and find out... no really, its not working right.. I have done research and various places have said the same advice, upgrade the modem?"

Thanks again!

Associate
I was on the 10meg service and had a faulty ethernet connection on the modem, rang n**hell and they sent an engineer round, he replaced the modem and told me it was a common fault (all FOC ). Whilst chattin over a cupper with him, he also said that with my original modem i would'nt have gotten the full 10 meg speed.

Associate
i had an old ntl 100 home modem, and was getting the same problems as you. the internet connection would just be cut and the modem would reboot itself and reconnect in about a minute. phoned ntl got a new 250 modem, same problems but just not as frequent.

Back
Top Bottom