Numerical Reasoning Tests

Associate
I'm applying for graduate positions having graduated last year. I have a good degree and good experience, but I really, really, REALLY struggle with these numerical tests I keep getting asked to do. It takes me wayyyy too long to answer each question, if I get them right at all. I've always struggled with maths and I absolutely despise the subject and have steered away from it throughout my life (probably why I am so bad at it). I can't see how I'm ever going to progress past this stage as nobody even looks at you as an individual until you've completed these tests to an acceptable level.

I've practised but I'm still just far too slow. I've just had one with SHL asking me to do 18 questions in 25 minutes, it takes me around 3-5 mins a question on most :rolleyes:.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Are there any good materials available online which could help me improve my speed and accuracy?

Thanks

Soldato
I've always found them trivial and get annoyed when I was asked to do them, but then again I do have a maths degree.

I'm assuming you actually know the techniques to answering the questions, and its not the difficulty you are struggling with, but answering them all in time?

If thats the case then there is really only one solution.
Practice.

Associate
OP
Yes, the problem is the mostly the time limit. If they gave me unlimited time, for example, I could do them all eventually. It's the process of reading the question, understanding what it requires me to do and focussing in on the relevant information on the screen, thinking of the correct method to answer it, then doing the maths to reach the answer which is taking so long. I must be missing a trick and doing them the really long way due to my amateur skills. Just wondering if there are any resources dedicated to this kind of area?

These are for industry positions.

Caporegime
How can you have a good degree if you struggle with maths?

Only thing you can do is practice really - otherwise pick a different career.

Soldato
One of the things that's always served me well is that if I have to do a test, I do all the questions I know the answer to first. If I get to a question I struggle with, I'll skip it and then come back to it later. It basically means that you don't spend ages fiddling around with a question that you know you'll never be able to answer in time.

Maths just takes practice, so good luck!

Soldato
How can you have a good degree if you struggle with maths?

Only thing you can do is practice really - otherwise pick a different career.

Arbitrary time limits on mathematical equationing are a con. Do you think Einstein watched the clock as he devised his proofs? No, he took the amount of time it took to get the job done.

Caporegime
Arbitrary time limits on mathematical equationing are a con. Do you think Einstein watched the clock as he devised his proofs? No, he took the amount of time it took to get the job done.

When you work in industry you have a deadline to get work done in and have circa 40 hours in a week to be productive. If you spend hours stuck on a single question when someone else can answer it in 2 minutes then why should you be hired?

Associate
OP
You most certainly can obtain a good degree without being strong at maths. In fact, I have done several maths modules at uni and achieved very good grades, but only through good tutoring and lots of revision, not because I'm naturally good at the subject.

The problem is that I've forgotten all of my basic maths and the quick methods of doing them which I knew in school.

My question is, without resitting all of my GCSE stuff, is there a dedicated resource available specifically focussed on these numerical tests we come across when applying for jobs?

And yes, I appreciate the relevance of these tests as a means of sifting through the 1000's of application they get. But really, in the real world, if I was stuck on a question like this, there are many ways you can get answers with modern tools such as the internet, and over the course of a career, having to Google some things early doors isn't going to impact hugely when you consider how long you'll be at the firm, and the specific and tailored training you have in these types of roles.

Last edited:

AJK

AJK

Associate
Apply for jobs that don't require mathematical reasoning, perhaps?

I must be missing something - how have you ended up applying for jobs that require a test you're no good at? What did you study? What are you applying for?

Pez

Pez

Soldato
I'm applying for graduate positions having graduated last year. I have a good degree and good experience, but I really, really, REALLY struggle with these numerical tests I keep getting asked to do. It takes me wayyyy too long to answer each question, if I get them right at all. I've always struggled with maths and I absolutely despise the subject and have steered away from it throughout my life (probably why I am so bad at it). I can't see how I'm ever going to progress past this stage as nobody even looks at you as an individual until you've completed these tests to an acceptable level.

I've practised but I'm still just far too slow. I've just had one with SHL asking me to do 18 questions in 25 minutes, it takes me around 3-5 mins a question on most :rolleyes:.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Are there any good materials available online which could help me improve my speed and accuracy?

Thanks

Purely out of interest, who is the employer?

AJK

AJK

Associate
Swathes of grad schemes use a similar bank of psychometric testing, even if the role isn't one that really needs maths to any great extent.

Well maybe the OP should stop applying to the kind of "grad scheme" that requires a test he has trouble with? Since he hasn't told us what he does or what he's applying for, it's hard to say more.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Cheat, anyone who has got where they have got through hard work and determination is a liar.

Practice and cheat.

Or do what i did once and just answered 42 for every question. Got me the job but turned it down as the offices were scruffy :p

Man of Honour
Sadly you're just going to have to do it OP. Three tips I would give:

1) get a decent, simple calculator (e.g. the buttons work).
2) revise percentages and probabilities.
3) read the questions out loud. Reading out loud is a great way of proofreading what your mind is thinking (which is often quick to assume or make mistakes).

I'd say extracting information and performing (relatively simple) calculations under pressure is not a good way of picking the most competent candidates. However, it is a good way of weeding out some of the poorer ones.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
There invented by people in HR who did pointless degrees at university and need something to make them feel there worth it and give them something that they feel is important and therefore really really important.

That wont help you but it makes me feel better.

Back
Top Bottom