Numerical Reasoning Tests

Caporegime
You're one of those people who bangs on about ~mickey mouse subjects~, or similar. You have in the past... was all of that 'banter'?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11038615&postcount=114

And so forth.

Wow I really did touch a nerve.. you've gone through my posts and dug one up from 2008?

And no that post wasn't banter, there is a bit of a difference between a one line dig and a legitimate point about university funding - did I mention Law, History etc... in that post? Nope I'm talking about the likes of media studies and even 'homeopathy' being taught at dubious 'universities' which don't necessarily offer students much value. Presumably the same sort of institutions you are also referring to here:

you get people who get very bad degrees in STEM subjects where the courses weren't rigorous enough and had to be taught at a relatively low level because of the ability of the intake.

Now how about getting back on topic instead of derailing the thread further.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its pretty clear what I meant from the post you've linked to... if you want it to mean something else because you're still upset at an off hand comment then that's up to you.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Just ignore Moses, he's got a massive chip on his shoulder for some reason and likes picking silly arguments :)

Man of Honour
I've found these tests are not usually about answering all the questions, but how you approach answering the questions when there isn't enough time to answer them all.

It was a few years ago now but for the grad schemes I applied to the tests were online and there wasn't any option to explain your reasoning so a wild guess was as good as an educated guess (or even properly working out the answer) if you got it right. Also while they did tend to be reasonably tight in terms of time there was sufficient time to answer all the questions provided you didn't get caught up on any particular question for ages.

In some cases you're no doubt right but I think those will tend to be jobs where it isn't just a basic filtering exercise to thin the numbers to a more manageable level. I may be wrong but I believe for many grad schemes numerical/verbal reasoning tests are just one way to bring down the numbers of applicants to avoid spending time on people who statistics (or experience) suggest will not be well suited to the particular scheme - whether that approach is right or any more useful a predictor than randomly picking "lucky" candidates or not is probably open for debate.

Associate
Although I don't like the idea of candidate filtering via an online test the numerical reasoning ones are the least worst, & large companies have little choice considering the number of applications they recieve. It's not as if the maths is particularly arduous, and not having basic mathematical reasoning skills will be a huge hinderance in the majority of office based graduate style jobs.

Caporegime
Just ignore Moses, he's got a massive chip on his shoulder for some reason and likes picking silly arguments :)

Its because his grades weren't good enough to do a real degree so he had to go to art school, although he dropped out of that because he couldn't hack the lectures first thing in the afternoon. [/reddwarf]:D

Back
Top Bottom