• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvida CPU/GPU combined by 2008?

Soldato
the only reply you'll get on this forum is 'its the enquirer :rolleyes:' but im open minded, so we'll wait and see if theres any more news on this in the near future from more reliable sources, but in the meantime, sounds promising if true :)

Soldato
OP
Gashman said:
the only reply you'll get on this forum is 'its the enquirer :rolleyes:' but im open minded, so we'll wait and see if theres any more news on this in the near future from more reliable sources, but in the meantime, sounds promising if true :)

I know - grain of salt and all that, but it is a potential heads up - INQ is not always full of the proverbial just mostly ;)

Soldato
OP
CarlD said:
"So you could run dual core and SLI in the one chip then?"

Now that would be cool :D

Personally I think SLI is a limited life market. Something like the GX2 cards make more sense, eventually integrating it onto one PCB, the concept of buying 2 video cards for 20%-30% gains will wear thin eventually.

I agree with Monaco87, this seems like a mass marketing workstation style move rather than a grab at the enthusiast market.

Soldato
SteveOBHave said:
Personally I think SLI is a limited life market. Something like the GX2 cards make more sense, eventually integrating it onto one PCB, the concept of buying 2 video cards for 20%-30% gains will wear thin eventually.

I agree with Monaco87, this seems like a mass marketing workstation style move rather than a grab at the enthusiast market.

I totally agree - but for the forceeable future the most people will have on their desktops in general will be 24" TFT with appropriate resulution - which hasnt really changed in several years , yes a few have 30" plus but thats even rarer and you need a huge desk.

So if the screen is 1920 *1200 and one X1900 XT can handle most games, by the time 2nd gen DX10 cards come out which will be faster and potentially smaller in die size and cooler (not talking about the rumoured 1st gen ones here) only a single card should be required especially if a minor range card is used for physics and dual core tech is used fully - sli and crossfire have a limited lifespan

And those who have larger screens (or higher res projecotrs etc) are going to be less than 2% of the market, if not a lot lower than that.

a lot of things in the next year or so are going to be taking "load" off the gpu so even with the advancement of games etc, I cant see hardly any requiring SLI / Crossfire like we do now

Edit - Good on nvidia what eever they choose, more choice for us no matter what spec of machine we require is always good.

Back
Top Bottom