• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Argh more spanners in the works. FOMO is gonna bite me hard here; a 4090 FE is three weeks' salary and then I'd have no choice but to repalce my whole rig...

Someone please give me a sanity a check, a virtual slap if you will. Regardless of what card I have now, and assuming I would upgrade my rig to be able to 'feed' the 4090FE, is buying a 4090FE at this stage in the 4000 series lifespan a truly stupid idea?
The time to buy a 4090 was on release, not this much time later at the same or higher price.

Associate
2nd hand 4090 is worth buying seeing some go for a decent price on ebay, especially given the price relative to a 4080.

Outside of Cyberpunk 2077 and Alan Wake 2 I'm struggling to think of a game that brought the 4090 to it's knees that I've played. (Just remembered Star Citizen) absolutely needs a next gen card.

I think a high quality monitor > top tier gpu especially if you're not gaming at 4K+

Last edited:
Soldato
All I can say is your i7 will be bottlenecking whatever high end GPU your gonna get. By the time you really need to switch it up we will be into next gen territory so I would review the situation then.
Yeah I have plans in place for a new rig. I just can't decide on 14700KF, AM5, or wait for 15700KF on new socket. Trouble is, that's a long time away I'm struggling with FPS in CP77 on the settings I want. I'm really enjoying the RT visuals.

Associate
I ordered an FE 4090, to be delivered tomorrow.

I spent the last few months building the rest of the system (7800X3D on black friday, etc) and recently bought a 43 inch QN90C 4K 144hz (which is incredible), so the 4090 was the last step.

Don't forget you can do interest free credit on the FE cards with Paypal Credit, 1/2/3/4 years, it's up to you.

Last edited:
Associate
I ordered an FE 4090, to be delivered tomorrow.

I spent the last few months building the rest of the system (7800X3D on black friday, etc) and recently bought a 43 inch QN90C 4K 144hz (which is incredible), so the 4090 was the last step.

Don't forget you can do interest free credit on the FE cards with Paypal Credit, 1/2/3/4 years, it's up to you.
Stop :)

Soldato
At some point some of you need to let the Covid shortage trope go but many of you use it as some weird outrage to keep a narrative going.

Reality: "Hey these are available at MSRP and have been for some time"

Outage: "NOT FOR LONG! WHO KNOWS! LOL. Let me link an overpriced version that's been around since every generation as some baseline."

Literally can't go into any GPU thread without the page after page of the same trash.

What are you on about?!

The only shortage we've been discussing here recently is Founders Edition cards which ARE in very short supply as they always have been.

Associate
I am still in two minds, my head says AMD, based on what games I play, for rasterisation, but my heart says Nvidia as I would like to check out Ray Tracing and DLSS.

I will probably wait but with RTX 5000 series possible not due until 2025, how long can an upgrade be put off, already put it off since 2021.
Obvious solution. Get the xtx now, play your raster games now and enjoy a little rat tracing. Focus on your backlog.

Then buy the 6090 (or the better AMD card) then you realise 3 years have passed. And you've still saved money.

Soldato
4090 fe interest free credit is ridiculously tempting. It’s like nvidia know people would be looking this close to the release of their closest GPU :D
That's what was tempting me. It's annoying th at they'll be out of stock before 4080 super reviews arrive. Curious to know if the 4090 performs 50% better given its 50% price increase.

Back
Top Bottom