• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
If you’re on a 3XXX series card it really doesn’t seem worth it to upgrade at this point, unless you have the spare cash or upgraded your monitor and can’t wait a couple more months.

5XXX will undoubtedly be a step up and you’ll get 4090 performance for far less than current pricing.

Soldato
I ordered an FE 4090, to be delivered tomorrow.

I spent the last few months building the rest of the system (7800X3D on black friday, etc) and recently bought a 43 inch QN90C 4K 144hz (which is incredible), so the 4090 was the last step.

Don't forget you can do interest free credit on the FE cards with Paypal Credit, 1/2/3/4 years, it's up to you.
Buying a 4090 on credit is ridiculous.

Only if you can afford to buy outright in one go, should a 4090 be an option for you.

Soldato
I disagree, people buy all sorts of things on credit. If you can get 4 year interest free that's a 5% discount each year with inflation running the way it is. And that would coincide with every other gen too - which seems the smart way to do it. It's smarter than buy a phone for a grand which you could drop or have nicked in the street anytime. If I can get the 5090fe on interest free credit at launch I might just do it myself.

Associate

Only if you can afford to buy outright in one go, should a 4090 be an option for you.

Don't worry, I got permission from the credit police :D

DSC-0388.jpg

Associate
What is it that you want to know exactly? If a 4090 is worth buying over a 4080 Super for 1440p?
So here's my issue - I don't recall ever seeing an UW benchmark for a modern card from a reputable review site.

First level approximation we know that it's about half as hard as 4k. Except for non-linear effects caused by memory bandwidth, CPU throttling etc.

As I look at it there's an AMD card to max out the raster in most things (7900xt or xtx?), an Nvidia to max out RT that's significantly more expensive (but isn't the 4090).

I'm resigned to feeling like I'm screwed this generation or the next. I keep an eye out on the reviews for the info I'm after (but never find). What I'm looking for is the least wasteful - and while that's looking like going with the pro-raster (let RT develop for a few more years)... if there was good information out there, it would really help.

Associate
Not a fan of lazy ****s who ask for links/source material on forums all the time, I did this months ago and didn't save. It's all out there obv.
Sure. You don't have it to hand. But giving some idea of the source would be real handy. Actual UW reviews or extrapolated from other data? Minor reviewers or people I've heard of? UW only reviews, or snippets in longer things?

Would have taken you about as much effort to post a useful pointer as the insult you did.

Man of Honour
I disagree, people buy all sorts of things on credit. If you can get 4 year interest free that's a 5% discount each year with inflation running the way it is. And that would coincide with every other gen too - which seems the smart way to do it. It's smarter than buy a phone for a grand which you could drop or have nicked in the street anytime. If I can get the 5090fe on interest free credit at launch I might just do it myself.

Depends a bit what the interest rates are like, but a couple of years back I got a laptop on 5 years 0% and stuck the money in an ISA instead - it is making about £3-4/m interest with current rates - if the rates hold up that is around £200 saving on the price of it.

Soldato
So here's my issue - I don't recall ever seeing an UW benchmark for a modern card from a reputable review site.

3440 x 1440p gpu reviews there.

etc..

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends a bit what the interest rates are like, but a couple of years back I got a laptop on 5 years 0% and stuck the money in an ISA instead - it is making about £3-4/m interest with current rates - if the rates hold up that is around £200 saving on the price of it.
I bought some BTC instead of a 4080 so right now I could buy a 4080S for essentially nothing but even then I don’t think it’s worth it and will let it ride.

Soldato

I also think there's a bit of a mental block on upgrading in that time.... "I can't upgrade because I'm still paying it off"

Which I see as a positive

Last edited:
Soldato

Whilst everyone can obviously do as they please, personally I tend to agree.

Credit is for needs, not wants. If you need a new washing maching in a hurry then fair enough but using credit, interest free or otherwise, for luxury items like GPUs or phones is bonkers. If you don't have the money, don't buy it.

Just my personal opinion of course and, as I said, everyone is free to do what they please. But then I think people who fork out a fortune every month for phone contracts and upgrade every year or two are equally mad and that seems to be common practice these days.

Last edited:
Associate

Yeah, you're not coming across as salty at all...... This all comes down to a person's financial situation and how responsible they are, personally If you have the cash there, available and disposable, I'd still say go for a decent 0% interest period if offered it, that way you can re-invest that money elsewhere and earn interest from it, be that in an ISA, saving or even dumping it into a SIPP, that money is better in a buyers hands than it is a seller.

@lawless50 enjoy the card, don't listen to other people's bluster who don't know your personal situation, if it works for you, and you're happy then who's to argue?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I say let people do what they want to do. If someone wants to buy on credit for x amount of years at 0%, we are all grown ups, rephrase id like to think we are.

@lawless50 enjoy the card, not envious at all.

This!!

I for one will be buying a 4080 super on a payment plan of say £300 a month, if I decide to pay it all before it ends so be it. As long as it can be paid off, who gives a **** if someone pays it by credit

@lawless50 nice card :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be honest, most won't really care about the "don't buy on credit comments".

Most of us that use interest free options have the cash at hand (I certainly did), but the combination of interest fee and 20% discount on the 4090 for using the credit account made it a no brainer.
Keeping the £1,000+ in an interest bearing account until the free period is up.

Associate
I personally buy what I can afford from spare money that isn’t marked for essentials.

Hence I bought a mid range 7800xt as it’s enough for my gaming which is not essential to live but enhances my quality of life.

I figure buying mid range twice in 5/6 years is better than buying high end once as you get to experience new tech. Look at Direct x 12 mesh shaders at the 1080ti (came out in 2018).

Associate
I'll be honest, most won't really care about the "don't buy on credit comments".

Most of us that use interest free options have the cash at hand (I certainly did), but the combination of interest fee and 20% discount on the 4090 for using the credit account made it a no brainer.
Keeping the £1,000+ in an interest bearing account until the free period is up.
A 20% discount for using the credit account you say? interesting

Associate

3440 x 1440p gpu reviews there.

etc..
Thanks. Not one of my usual review sources - any long term biases you'd warn of?

Soldato

if the finance is 0% and it's something of large value, doing so makes more sense in the long run. Your money stays in your bank longer earning you interest.

Last edited:
Soldato
if the finance is 0% and it's something of large value, doing so makes more sense in the long run. Your money stays in your bank longer earning you interest.

Only if you can afford to pay the whole item off anyway,and paying on credit nets you an advantage. There are plenty of people throwing money at tech who clearly can't afford it IMHO. Once the era of cheap credit runs out it will be interesting to see how the market goes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom