• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
In comparison to other hobbies it’s not really that expensive. Pretty sure my mate spends more on a single golf club than I do on a GPU…

Largely agree with what others have said about credit. If you can afford it outright but are using credit to spread cost / use the money elsewhere then I think it’s no issue. It’s where people can’t afford it and are living above their means when it becomes concerning.

I saw Domino's Pizza doing a ‘pay in 3 installments’ promo last week and I have so many issues with it.
I don't know, i can buy a lot of rag worm for the price of a 4090 :)

Associate
What would the good information help you with?

If you're upgrading from a high-end card already, the conclusion for 1440p UW is pretty much the same as 1440p or 4K: they're all bad value in raw money terms.

My opinion would be that the least wasteful card for 1440p UW is a 7900 XT @ £700 or if you want ray tracing: a 4070 Ti Super (as close to £750 as you get one). I'd consider anything less to be underpowered.
Desktop of Theseus - build during the pandemic with what I could bring myself to buy. Now a 5800x3D, but running a 2060 (not super!) at 1440x3440. Currently playing through backlog, but not really able to look at anything new. There are games in my library I can't play, because.... 2060.

I'm constantly oscillating around the options. I can afford any of them. If I can convince myself that it's worth it. The 40x0 series came out, and I had sticker shock. Surely AMD will help with an alternative, but no. Maybe prices will improve over the generation... no. Maybe the supers and the midway refresh will help...?

But the PCPER reviews that Purgatory posted are actually really useful - because they show that, for example, the xtx can handle cyberpunk at 55fps, 1% lows of 47, vs the xt at 48/41. Sure, that's FSR and I'd prefer native, but that's not happening this gen. So that's really useful - it shows the edges of the cases I'm interested in. XT, probably good enough. XTX Should be good enough, with a bit more forgivness. Either current super. That starts to get me into a position of making a choice, rather than being uncertain because the usual review suspects don't do ultrawide.

Or throwing my hands in the air, giving up and coming back to the problem in 1-4, as I've been doing for the last ~4 years.

Caporegime
This affects all GPUS even the 4000's, hotfix coming soon

(game ready AND Studio drivers)

Alex--AT
Question: what’s the point in taking time out of my day to produce and send multiple GPU trace files for every driver since 537.58 if you’re not even going to acknowledge the stuttering issue

NVIDIA Forums Representative
It is not an NVIDIA driver bug however we have been trying to come up with a workaround. This is why I have been requesting logs from users to make sure our solution covered all types of PC configurations.

Alex--AT
Sorry for the tone, but "it is not a driver bug" is total BS given older drivers work fine.

Even if in the end it's related to some new 3rd party (Windows) feature newer drivers are using/providing, not disabling this feature till it's fixed in the 3rd party software makes it a driver bug.

Same for the case some hardware issue is exposed by newer drivers. Also, no information seems to be published at the moment about the nature of the issue, so it all doesn't look too trustworthy.

NVIDIA Forums Representative
Soon after our next Game Ready Driver release, we will be releasing a hotfix driver which will have a solution for this issue.
There are a few changes users should see improvements in the latest Game Ready Driver and Studio Driver, specifically when using 3rd party GPU utilities that are using APIs that were not meant for low latency gaming, but the complete solution will be coming in a hotfix driver.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But the PCPER reviews that Purgatory posted are actually really useful - because they show that, for example, the xtx can handle cyberpunk at 55fps, 1% lows of 47, vs the xt at 48/41. Sure, that's FSR and I'd prefer native, but that's not happening this gen. So that's really useful - it shows the edges of the cases I'm interested in. XT, probably good enough. XTX Should be good enough, with a bit more forgivness. Either current super. That starts to get me into a position of making a choice, rather than being uncertain because the usual review suspects don't do ultrawide.
Hmm. I don't know how committed you are to ray tracing, but those numbers are using the RT Ultra preset, which isn't really AMD's forte anyway. If you look at the regular raster benchmark @ native, with ultra settings, the numbers for a 7900 XT are pretty strong.

Desktop of Theseus - build during the pandemic with what I could bring myself to buy. Now a 5800x3D, but running a 2060 (not super!) at 1440x3440. Currently playing through backlog, but not really able to look at anything new. There are games in my library I can't play, because.... 2060.
From my perspective, if you're just trying to achieve "decently playable" for 1440p UW, with most things turned up, then a 7900 XT or 4070 Ti Super (~£700-£750, or less) would be ideal for their price/perf..

If you can afford better, then it'll help you keep the shinies enabled for longer, but either of those cards will feel like a new PC and blow your 2060 away.

Heck, just a 7800 XT or 4070 Super would be a decent upgrade, but for UW I do think it's worth paying a bit more for the next tier up, to give you more headroom.

Associate
Hmm. I don't know how committed you are to ray tracing, but those numbers are using the RT Ultra preset, which isn't really AMD's forte anyway. If you look at the regular raster benchmark @ native, with ultra settings, the numbers for a 7900 XT are pretty strong.

From my perspective, if you're just trying to achieve "decently playable" for 1440p UW, with most things turned up, then a 7900 XT or 4070 Ti Super (~£700-£750, or less) would be ideal for their price/perf..

If you can afford better, then it'll help you keep the shinies enabled for longer, but either of those cards will feel like a new PC and blow your 2060 away.

Heck, just a 7800 XT or 4070 Super would be a decent upgrade, but for UW I do think it's worth paying a bit more for the next tier up, to give you more headroom.
It's not that I'm terribly committed to ray tracing, although being able to run this generation's big think at extremely playable FPS would really be nice. It's more about my fear that over the medium term (2ish years) more and more games will require raytracing in their games. Right now, this is only very low level of Must Have. But as that increases over time, just being a complete beast in raster won't be enough?

At the same time, AMD will be using their general compute solution and adding more features over time. As they will provide it to their entire line (unlike Nvidia - which really puts a downer on them, for me) it's likely that FRS3/4 will help me keep pace.

Part of my willingness to spend a little more is because I know that at, in a few years at the other end of this, I'll be in exactly the same indecision spiral. If I can delay that a little longer...?

Man of Honour
Part of my willingness to spend a little more is because I know that at, in a few years at the other end of this, I'll be in exactly the same indecision spiral. If I can delay that a little longer...?
But as that increases over time, just being a complete beast in raster won't be enough?
If you're looking at general trends to influence your decision, I'd be looking down the market instead of up. If we look down, cards below the 7800 XT & 4070 Super are not really capable of ray tracing in newer games and maintaining decent FPS, so I don't think ray tracing performance will be a required feature for a good few years yet.

Future cards will probably be a lot more powerful at ray tracing, since AI features (& cores) are getting more important to their sales, so I wouldn't bother trying to "future proof" it.

My impression of what you wrote is: you want to play through the games you can't right now @ 1440p UW and a few that are upcoming, which should keep you amused long enough for the next buy to make sense.

I'd just get the 4070 Ti Super, enjoy your monitor and replace it in maybe 3-4 years if necessary. The card you have now is equivalent to the RX 6600 and that's considered entry-level 1080p, not 1440p UW.

Soldato
Only if you can afford to pay the whole item off anyway,and paying on credit nets you an advantage. There are plenty of people throwing money at tech who clearly can't afford it IMHO. Once the era of cheap credit runs out it will be interesting to see how the market goes.

It's a bit long, but a good view as it touches the debt, financial and housing market.

**** is probably going to hit the fan, but at the end of the day it will be the regular John and Jane Doe paying the bill. Even if the prices for tech will come down, average people will have problems buying since in the new reality of the market, even those lower prices will be too much.

For nVIDIA, AI is the winning or losing hand that will determine how the GPU gaming section will go. And crypto, if/when the next bubble will hit and greed will make people go nuts!

RSR

RSR

Soldato
In comparison to other hobbies it’s not really that expensive. Pretty sure my mate spends more on a single golf club than I do on a GPU…

I tend to agree, it's easy to find extremes in many hobbies.

If you want an expensive hobby try something that floats, as I used to have a jetski it was great fun and a proper workout. It's not a cheap hobby at all and makes the Porker, look cheap. :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
I'd just get the 4070 Ti Super, enjoy your monitor and replace it in maybe 3-4 years if necessary. The card you have now is equivalent to the RX 6600 and that's considered entry-level 1080p, not 1440p UW.
It's not bad advice. I'm going to wait a week to see what the 4080 super brings. Less intent to buy it, more to see how it moves prices around it.

Soldato
It's not bad advice. I'm going to wait a week to see what the 4080 super brings. Less intent to buy it, more to see how it moves prices around it.
I’d just get a msrp 7800XT, keep it till the end of the year then flip it for a £100 loss and get a 5080 which will be faster than a 4090 with better RT improved DLSS FG and probably some other locked in new AI feature.

Last edited:
Caporegime
4070ti super doesn't seem to be as big a jump from the 4070ti as I was expecting. Looks to be less than 10% faster (like 8%)

Thought it would be a lot closer to a 4080 (IE closer to that than the 4070ti)

Last edited:
Associate
4070ti super doesn't seem to be as big a jump from the 4070ti as I was expecting. Looks to be less than 10% faster (like 8%)

Thought it would be a lot closer to a 4080 (IE closer to that than the 4070ti)
If the worry is that the 4080 Super is only a few % better than the regular 4080 then Nvidia wouldn't dream of making the 4070 Ti Super close enough to compete with the regular 4080. They'd just end up cannablising their own sales, instead they've got that whole 'Apple' approach to tiers at the moment and it appears to be working for them.

Why get a 529 quid 4070 when the 4070 Super is just 50 quid more? And if you're going for a 4070 Super at 579 then really 749 for a 70 Ti Super isn't actually that much of a reach. And considering the 70Ti Super reviews were a bit mid - then what's another 150 quid for the 4080 Super??

Back
Top Bottom