• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 8600 GTS arrived at OcUK Today!!

OcUK Staff
Hi there

We have the following new product available:-

Asus GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
GX-126-AS_400.jpg

Now the award-winning NVIDIA® GeForce® 8 Series architecture extends to the Asus GeForce® 8600 GTS graphics card. Offering unparalleled levels of graphics realism and performance for Microsoft DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 games for the price point, the Asus GeForce® 8600 GTS graphics card also includes the groundbreaking 2nd generation PureVideo HD™ processor and full support for Microsoft® Windows® Vista™.

- GeForce 8600 GTS core running at 675MHz
- 256MB GDDR3 Memory running at 2000MHz
- Shader Model 4.0
- Memory Bandwidth: 32GB/s
- Designed For Extreme HD Gaming
- Nvidia Pure Video Technology
- Dedicated Video processors free the GPU Shaders to run 3D applications
- Dual dual-link DVI supports two 2560 x 1600 resolution displays
- HDCP Enabled!!
- SLI ready – Upto 2x the performance of a single GPU (Available on with future driver release)
- True High Dynamic Range Rendering Support – Based on Open EXR technology
- World's first unified architecture supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10
- Built for Microsoft® Windows® Vista™

£134.99+VAT (£158.61 inc VAT)

BUY NOW!!

This is a new product thats arrived in the OcUK warehouse today, we don't have a clue about this product due to no communication from NVIDIA but from the specification it looks a damn good card. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Cyber-Mav said:
where's the agp one? :confused:

also how mnay streme processors on that? is it the 48 or 64?

Hi m8

Well unsure about an AGP one, maybe NVIDIA will let us know information on that but at the moment they seem very poor communication wise these days.

OcUK Staff
OP
Lolcb said:
Gibbo is pulling his hair out thinking of ways to sell these products. I think he brought in hundreds of these.

HI there

Thankfully only 10pcs.

What can I say, apart from buy an X1950 Pro instead. :)

P.S. Price ammended!

OcUK Staff
OP
willhub said:
Bah its games that matter, not damnd 3DMark lol.

So are you going to discontinue buying them or see how fast the 10 of em sell and then decide if you want more?

Hi there

We shall sell them but hold very small amounts and won't promote the product. Why promote something when their is a superior better product for less money, like the X1950 Pro?

So for us this product will be something we offer but not something we try to push if you get my drift unless its performance dramatically improves with new drivers or something.

OcUK Staff
OP
QUIT the bitching or you both loose your accounts, simple as!!

Discuss the product constructively but don't resort to sarcastic and bitchy comments at one another, your adults, behave like adults please guys. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
SkeeterPSA said:
Hmm i thought you said gibbo you wouldnt sell asus cards cos of the poor warrenty or somit. So surprised you have got these in.

Hi there

They are currently on trial as they have offered to improve greatly. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Slinwagh said:
Didn't the same bug happen a few months ago or was that a different issue?

Hi there

Yep it was the same bug, its not easily fixable but it takes some knowledge to find hidden products on our site so is not a huge issue for us.

OcUK Staff
OP
dgmug said:
we need true benchmarks to end this.see how good they really are .

Hi there

Sorry but the fact it only has 128-bit memory interface says it all to me. This card will be useless for anything over 1024x768 resolution. The fact it has 2000MHz memory is irrelevant when the interface is only 128-bit. Basically like running a Ferrari on diesel. :eek:

OcUK Staff
OP
willhub said:
1024x768? surely 1280x1024 lol? The funny thing is about this 128bit memory interface, is that my GeForce FX5200 had a 256bit memory interface hahaha.

Hi there

Not really, for high resolution the more bandwidth the better especially on todays games with AA/AF enabled. So this is really rather crippling, it should be 256-bit and then it would perform better.

OcUK Staff
OP
jrodga2k5 said:
Honest look at your own product Gibbo, commendable to say the least!

At least you aint saying these things rock because you do know they dont! Its a shame that the price is so high on them as compared to the performance its just not worth it! Even at the reduced price the extra for the 8800gts makes sence and even the x1950xt's would just rip this thing apart.

I hoenstly cant see the point of them at the price.

HI there

Well I can't recommend something that clearly is not good for the price. If the early reports are right and the older 7900 GT are quicker (We still sell 7900 GT for less) and X1950 Pro's are also quicker and less money then in my view I recommend people not to touch the 8600 GTS until prices drop massively or it gets a serious performance boost.

OcUK Staff
OP
dgmug said:
just wanted to see some proper game benchmarks cause all i seen is fake ones or highly dubious ones.Quite suprised these cards are gunna be turkeys as 66oogts / 7600gts have been awesome value for money and was hoping for this to be the same :(

Hi there

Well maybe, we never know lets wait until some proper reviews come out I guess, but 128-bit interface is certainly crippling.

I forsee this card will sell extremely well due to the marketing hype behind it regarding DX10, so expect to see lots selling in PC world and them been built into systems claiming DX10 ready etc.

OcUK Staff
OP
Dyson said:
Does this mean that the gtx refresh is close? Been reading things everywhere about 8800 Ultra / 8900 gtx...

Hi there

BOTH NV and ATI have uber duber cards in the pipeline which may or may not get released in the near future.

OcUK Staff
OP
Massive Attack said:
How come it has been removed from the site and the price bumped up from £140 to £158, i was going to buy one but for that price i can get a X1950XT

Hi there

Turns out the product is still under NDA so to protect Asus from getting a kicking from NVIDIA we have removed it from our website. Regarding the price well that has not changed it will come back on Tuesday at the £140 price.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So basically the 8600 GTS is a complete flop?

Its massively overpriced, is easily beaten by 7900 GT, 7950 GT and 7800 GTX. It completely sucks under Vista as its performance gets hit badly and has issues. Then ATI's lower priced X1950 Pro and X1950 XT cards are also quicker under Windows XP and completely slaughter it under Vista.

We will sell this range the 8600/8500 range but I most certainly won't be recommending what looks like a poor and overpriced product.

OcUK Staff
OP
WJA96 said:
So, so tempting.... Must resist..... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: back at you too!

Am I missing something with this card then? It appears that in all games it even struggles against the 7900 GS, which sell for considerably less.

7800 GT, 7800 GTX, 7900 GT, 7950 GT and 7950GT obviously perform considerably quicker and all cost less now too.

Then from ATI there is the X1950 Pro and X1950 XT which are both quicker in games I must stress and under Vista pull considerably ahead.

So what am I missing here?

The good things about this card is yes it does have lower power consumption which in turn will mean low heat output so ideal for HTPC system or ones in small confined areas. Still at the current pricing levels the 8600 GTS is considerably overpriced for the performance it gives. The 8500 GT is a good buy considering its so cheap and the 8600 GT is reasonable but the 8600 GTS is a card I cannot recommend.
The fact these cards are DX10 is pretty irrelevant, DX10 games require a powerful card and these are not powerful cards.

OcUK Staff
OP
Azza said:
Are you going to be stocking any other brands of cards Gibbo?

A competitor has a Palit 8600GT (GDDR3) for just under £85. Though its core and mem speeds are slower than the Asus on your site.

Will there be a more sensibly priced OcUK brand of the card?

HI there

Yes we have some BFG to put on the site and I shall also source some Palit cards in too.

OcUK Staff
OP
WJA96 said:
What I had to resist saying was - you already did recommend it.

Please don't get too busy negotiating the next deal to lose sight of the fact that we're looking to you to source good hardware and to recommend good hardware. You have an excellent reputation for overclocking and knowing what you're talking about. It took years to build that reputation but it takes about 1 line of size 4 text to blow it. If I don't trust you I won't buy what you recommend. Recommending that I buy stuff you don't have a clue about is crazy.

The rolleyes was actually at myself for bottling out of saying this in the first place.

Hi there

I made people aware of it, at the time I knew little of the car but knew people were hoping good things to come from it. So I made people aware we had them.

As soon as I learnt of the 128-Bit memory interface I soon backed down and told people to steer clear of this card. The 8500 GT is a great buy, the 8600 GT not bad but the 8600 GTS should just be plainly avoided.

The fact is I've had a busy week as afterall I've been testing an R600 and RD600 which are a little more important than looking at this card from NVIDIA and hence why I was very unsure about its abilities. Now I am aware of its abilities my advice is DON'T BUY AN 8600 GTS.

P.S. We have sold one Asus card upto now, I have still not yet put the other brands on the website, been busy sorting other things. :)

Back
Top Bottom