• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia 8800 GTX just died, replacement advice please

Associate
Hi,
My Nvidia 8800GTX from in my 3yr old PC just died, screen flickered and now won't display anything after booting. I had a quick look at a new card but there are so many different cards available and the series numbers aren't clear what is the next one up or recent.

I want a similar or slightly newer card just in case I do get the urge to get into games again. Any advice? I want to spend £50-75 maybe £100 on something that will do for a few years. I would prefer

Thanks.

Soldato
Last edited:

HAz

HAz

Soldato
yup time to go ati my friend, I also had a 8800gtx and it died, so i bought another off ebay and that died 3 months later!
So whatever u do, dont get another one.

Associate
OP
The cheapest 5770 is about £125. Do they run hot? I think my PC maybe a bit hot as I added 2 HDDs after I bought it, maybe that was the cause of the card failing. I might try the card in the oven first :)

What about the 5670 series, better than the 8800GTX I assume?

Soldato
The cheapest 5770 is about £125. Do they run hot? I think my PC maybe a bit hot as I added 2 HDDs after I bought it, maybe that was the cause of the card failing. I might try the card in the oven first :)

What about the 5670 series, better than the 8800GTX I assume?

5670 is about 880gt performance. What you want is a hd5750. It will be a decent upgrade and you can pick them up for £80 ish.

Associate
A 5770 has shown better gains over a 5750, it may be better waiting till you can get a 5770. Also the new ATI line has proven to be very cool running.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips. I didn't realise how big the Nvidia card was, it is a monster. It worked for about 10 mins and died again. Plugged in a temp card for now but for some reason I just get the colour blue.

Going to go for the 5770 I think.

Thanks

Associate
Thanks for this thread everyone - I also went for a 5770 to replace my twice-RMA'd BFG 8800GT OC, which died with Nvidia's updated drivers (not the one with the fan speed bug - but the ones after). First RMA suffered a similar fate after a couple of hours (maybe it was the volcanic ash that kept it stuck in the USA for a week!). Second RMA was DOA - gave up RMAing them at that point :(

Looking forward to a nice, quiet 5770 to replace the racket that the 8800GT OC made!

Back
Top Bottom