• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Adds Telemetry to Latest Drivers; Here's How to Disable It

Soldato
OP
Bet shanks has been slapping the ham for hours over this , being able to take so many digs at nvidia from his high horse.

This is all pretty normal, practically every service collects data, really nothing to see here.

Just posting the news, while giving my fair share of opion on the matter..

If it's nothing to see go and tell everyone on the reddit forum that because it's quite big you might be there for awhile. Best get going!!

Again like other service Facebook for example only tracks stuff when you visit the site, once you leave the site you done..

This is a different matter its something that is always running back end of your pc monitoring your activity etc

Big differences

Soldato
Bet shanks has been slapping the ham for hours over this , being able to take so many digs at nvidia from his high horse.

This is all pretty normal, practically every service collects data, really nothing to see here.

A gfx card is a product not a service.
Just like my Pioneer KURO is a product and not a service and i would not be happy for Pioneer to log everything i watched on the TV and then sell it on to 3rd parties.

Last edited:
Soldato

sheepgif.gif

bru

bru

Soldato
From the AMD driver EULA

To help AMD improve Your graphics experience, AMD may collect non-personal information, including the model of AMD graphics product, its device id, and other system information.

OMG the intel one is truly horrifying.

1. INFORMATION COLLECTION
Personal Information We May Collect
Intel may collect various types of personal information, including:
Personal and business contact information (such as name, billing and shipping address, phone number, email address, and social media/messaging account ID)
Intel Account ID
Profile picture
Social media postings and information
Payment card, digital wallet, or other payment service information
Depending on the service we are providing to you we may also need to collect more sensitive personal information (such as location, government-issued identification, photographs, audio/video recordings, images, and biometrics) directly from you
If you submit any personal information about other people to us or to our service providers, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use their personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
We and our service providers may collect personal information from a variety of sources, including:
From you or someone acting on your behalf: We may collect personal information you or someone acting on your behalf shares with us such as your name and contact details.
Through the Intel Services: We may collect personal information about you when you use Intel Services, for example, when you sign up for a newsletter, make a purchase, or use or install our products or apps.
Through Third Parties’ Services: We may collect personal information about you when you use third party services that utilize the Intel Services.
Offline:*We may collect personal information you provide to us offline, such as when you visit our stores, attend one of our trade shows or events, place a verbal order over the phone or contact customer services.*
From Other Sources: We may collect your personal information from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, and social media platforms. We may also receive your personal information from people with whom you are "friends" or otherwise connected on social media platforms.*For example, if you elect to connect your social media account to your Intel Services account, certain personal information from your social media account will be shared with us. Such information may include personal information that is part of your social media profile or your friends’ profiles.*Similarly, if your social media "friends" connect their social media account to their Intel Services account, information about you may be shared with us via this “friend” connection.

Other Information We May Collect
Intel may also collect other information from your app, browser, or device that does not reveal your (or anyone else's) real world identity, for example:
Browser and device information
App or device usage data
Information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies
IP address
Location data
Aggregated, anonymized, or de-identified information
Demographic information and other information provided by you (i.e., language, occupation, postal code).
We and our third-party service providers may collect this information in a variety of ways, including:
Through your browser or device: Most browsers and devices collect certain information automatically, for example, type and version of operating system, screen resolution, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the Intel Services (such as the app) you are using.*We use this information, for example, to make sure that the Intel Services function properly, analyze the performance of our products, and improve and maintain the Intel Services.
Through your use of an Intel app: When you download and use an Intel app, we and our service providers may track and collect usage data, such as the date and time the Intel app on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the Intel app.
Through cookies and similar technologies: We use cookies to make our web sites operate, work more efficiently, and provide analytic information. Technologies similar to cookies are also used in connection with some Intel Services, such as pixel tags, web beacons, clear GIFs, JavaScript, and local storage. Please view our*Intel Cookies and Similar Technologies Notice*for more information and how to disable/remove certain cookies.
IP Address: IP addresses are automatically transmitted as part of any Internet communication, and collecting IP addresses is a common practice; many web sites, applications and other Intel Services collect IP addresses automatically. We use IP addresses for purposes such as communicating with your device, calculating usage levels of the Intel Services, helping diagnose server problems, security, and administering the Intel Services.
Location Data:*We may collect the physical location of a connected device, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower, and WiFi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based Intel Services, content, and advertising. We may also share your device’s physical location, combined with information about what advertisements you viewed and other information we collect, with our marketing partners to enable them to provide you with more personalized content and to study the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. You can choose whether to allow or deny uses and/or sharing of your device’s location by changing your device settings, but if you choose to deny such uses and/or sharing, we and/or our marketing partners may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized Intel Services, content, and advertising.

Now I have no idea how often or when these companies collect the various bits of data, just as I have no idea of when or how often NVidia collect data. But this sort of thing really is standard practice, unfortunately that is how the modern, ever connected world works.
Of course we don't have to like it, but it does happen a lot more than we think.

Soldato
You can make an argument for its acceptability if you're installing and using a program or service made by said company. Drivers constitute basic core functionality of the product that you paid for though. Without them it's an incredibly expensive paperweight. Nvidia can pack this crap into GFE all they like for all I care, because I'll never install it. Sneaking it in the back door in a non-optional fashion when you choose to install nothing but the basic display driver is shady as hell, especially when they freely admit that they're harvesting personally identifiable information to sell to the highest bidder, not collecting system and operational data to make your end user experience any better.

Caporegime
Bru, you realise that AMD bit you quoted specifically states NON personal information. People don't care about system information, that is somewhat sensible information for a hardware company to have. They have zero business in PERSONAL information. Non personal information has almost zero value to anyone but AMD and in relation to the hardware they make. Personal information has almost no value to AMD or Nvidia, but a vast value to those who want such data.

Nvidia collecting PERSONAL data is completely removed from the idea of collecting very basic NON personal data.

Soldato
I don't mind if Nvidia are collecting data on settings used in drivers and games, Basic system specs etc... but if it gets any more personal than that I'd say that's crossing the line.

Associate
A gfx card is a product not a service.
Just like my Pioneer KURO is a product and not a service and i would not be happy for Pioneer to log everything i watched on the TV and then sell it on to 3rd parties.

This is actually what LG did. They had to stop doing it though. People should complain and make sure nvidia knows it is not okay to spy on their customers.

Associate
From the AMD driver EULA

OMG the intel one is truly horrifying.

Now I have no idea how often or when these companies collect the various bits of data, just as I have no idea of when or how often NVidia collect data. But this sort of thing really is standard practice, unfortunately that is how the modern, ever connected world works.
Of course we don't have to like it, but it does happen a lot more than we think.

I'm actually writing my thesis on this very subject (working title: "User ignorance in the age of big data").

Caporegime
I see the usual suspects are up in arms and pretty sure they are AMD users as well :D

Anyways, whilst it isn't right, I don't actually care. I brows the web to look for a new TV for instance and then when I am looking at a random site, I see TV's being displayed in add choices thanks to cookies. I don't care but I guess the same guys who are up in arms in this thread do and have a way of stopping said adverts from coming up. I also guess they are not on Facebook or any other site that gets your personal information.

Associate
I see the usual suspects are up in arms and pretty sure they are AMD users as well :D

Anyways, whilst it isn't right, I don't actually care. I brows the web to look for a new TV for instance and then when I am looking at a random site, I see TV's being displayed in add choices thanks to cookies. I don't care but I guess the same guys who are up in arms in this thread do and have a way of stopping said adverts from coming up. I also guess they are not on Facebook or any other site that gets your personal information.

Actually I believe that some of those posting their grievence against this are Nvidia users, not just AMD users having a pop. But lets face it every time something goes wrong for AMD, the Nvidia users are in with both barrels. In fact every time someone posts anything positive about AMD, the "Usual Suspects" come in with a negative bombardment.

If you cannot take it, don't give it out in the first place.

It's ONLY a graphics card FFS, not the end of the world. Still, I think that they should have told everyone in the driver spec about it and gave an opt out if you do not wish to participate. That would have stopped all of this negative publicity for them. Simples
;)

Caporegime
Actually I believe that some of those posting their grievence against this are Nvidia users, not just AMD users having a pop. But lets face it every time something goes wrong for AMD, the Nvidia users are in with both barrels. In fact every time someone posts anything positive about AMD, the "Usual Suspects" come in with a negative bombardment.

If you cannot take it, don't give it out in the first place.

It's ONLY a graphics card FFS, not the end of the world. Still, I think that they should have told everyone in the driver spec about it and gave an opt out if you do not wish to participate. That would have stopped all of this negative publicity for them. Simples
;)

Why are you getting all up in arms? I read the thread, chuckled and even said it isn't right and gave my thoughts on what I read. Move on Pal and don't get so worked up when someone doesn't really care and makes light of something that isn't really the done thing.

Soldato
Aside from this board where Nvidia fans like to drown out any negative Nvidia news by attacking AMD, on the majority of other sites people are not too happy with this situation. Nvidia must include an opt in or out option when you install the software.

Very poor form to silently run the telemetry stuff in the background without user knowledge or agreement. Even Microsoft has the option to turn if off during a Windows 10 install.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD users have a more intact self security about them, they are happy that they have one other reason to stick on Red team.

A hell of a lot of people go out their way blocking any spying via software/browser addons that cripple web telemetry so I can actually see quite a no. of Nv users elsewhere saying they're going red, can understand that as they don't want any spying on them and even skipped the W10 free update as they feel that strong about their privacy.

Soldato
Looks like I switched to AMD at the right time. New geforce cards are literally going up in smoke due to crap VRMs, and now their bloatware drivers spy on you as well :/

The list of blocked, known ad hosts in my hosts file is already huge.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's the fact this is always running.. It's got nothing to do with advertising say from using Google Chrome, when you go looking at a monitor from say ocuk and then go onto Facebook and see that Monitor displayed do you think that is Facebook? Because it's not lol it's your web browser how do you think Google, YouTube, Twitch make cash?

Again the big issue I have with this is the fact it's always running on the system, monitoring Personal user information..
Greg you only need to look here and on reddit to see nvidia users are also very mad at this. It's got nothing to do with AMD.

Back
Top Bottom