• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Then I, for one, will leave it. My 2080 Ti is perfectly good enough for now and will keep me going until the 40xx or 7xxx series arrive. I suspect many people will do the same.

Actually, there's a modest chance my next discrete GPU will be from Intel. If the leaks are true then Intel could have a very competitive product. It just comes down to price.
Same.

The 3080 can't do 4k with ultra RT on.

It still needs DLS turned on

Soldato
Well yes DLSS works comparatively well on every card that supports DLSS... but a 3080 is around 50% faster than a 2080Ti in 4k whether DLSS is on or off.

not 50% in every game or even on average, 50% is about the upper quartile and that same upper quartile is 70% for the 3090

Soldato
I find it interesting that RT is supposed to save us from faked lighting effects, but it requires faked resolution to do so.

We are just trading one cheat for another.

Soldato
The difference is that the ‘faked resolution’ has a minimal effect on image quality and the ray tracing generally has a significant improvement.

Upscaling techniques are clearly the way forward for all games. You can get more out of less without a noticeable drop in quality. You really have to be clutching at straws arguing against it.

Without these techniques proper high fidelity 4K (and above) gaming will always be a rich persons experience.

Soldato
Only because they butchered the none RT iq.

Check out many none RT games and the IQ looks very similar to the RT ultra games. Barely any difference

Ok. It’s still irrelevant. That kind of technology works with rasterised games as well. You can push higher detail and more frames in the same hardware...

RT or not, upscaling technology clearly benefits all gamers. You can do more with less hardware without a noticeable drop in rendering quality. Just think about the quality of the experience you could get out of something like a Nintendo switch if they could get it working properly. Like I said, people who argue against it are just clutching at straws.

Note. I used the term upscaling technology. I couldn’t give two cares who makes it, as long as it works without a noticeable quality loss.

Soldato
Ok. It’s still irrelevant. That kind of technology works with rasterised games as well. You can push higher detail and more frames in the same hardware...

RT or not, upscaling technology clearly benefits all gamers. You can do more with less hardware without a noticeable drop in rendering quality. Just think about the quality of the experience you could get out of something like a Nintendo switch if they could get it working properly. Like I said, people who argue against it are just clutching at straws.

Note. I used the term upscaling technology. I couldn’t give two cares who makes it, as long as it works without a noticeable quality loss.
Yea i think DLSS is of course more a meaningful feature than RT.

Rt doesnt look any better then a good old dx12 none RT game

Soldato
Only because they butchered the none RT iq.

Check out many none RT games and the IQ looks very similar to the RT ultra games. Barely any difference

Some effects and existing effects to be done accurately would be impossible with rasterization

edit also RT is a tool like any other and not a art style ,you can make something look bad with RT like how you can make something look bad with rasterization

Last edited:
Soldato
Also lets take the latest new RT title The Medium.

Taken from here:

"With DLSS 2.0, our RTX3080 was able to offer constant 60fps at both 1080p and 1440p."

So again, at 4k it will probably be around the 30 fps mark.

The NEXT GEN titles render the 3080 a 1440p card.

Unless one is happy with 30-40 fps performance that is.

Which don't get me wrong is completely playable especially with a gsync / freesync display.

You are making a pointless statement. No one will play 4K without DLSS 2.0.

Nvidia's aim is that higher resolutions are now achieved through image reconstruction. Not brute force rendering.

I've been using DLSS an it is fine.

I don't see the same number of people complaining about variable rate shading for example. Seem to pick on DLSS all the time. VRS is pretty obvious if you deliberately look for it.

Nearly all types of AA (except SSAA) are also means of avoiding using higher resolutions.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
I find it interesting that RT is supposed to save us from faked lighting effects, but it requires faked resolution to do so.

We are just trading one cheat for another.

Indeed, I’ve tried DLSS and don’t like it, too much of a drop in image quality and very noticeable to me, rather have RT off, which is what I’ve done with CP. Control runs well with RT without the need for DLSS though so that’s nice :)

Soldato
You are making a pointless statement. No one will play 4K without DLSS 2.0.

Nvidia's aim is that higher resolutions are now achieved through image reconstruction. Not brute force rendering.

I've been using DLSS an it is fine.

I don't see the same number of people complaining about variable rate shading for example. Seem to pick on DLSS all the time. VRS is pretty obvious if you deliberately look for it.

Nearly all types of AA (except SSAA) are also means of avoiding using higher resolutions.

In that game yes it seems there is no DLSS.

But in other titles such as watchdogs and cyberpunk with dlss at 1440p you're only looking at 60-80 FPS.

Back
Top Bottom