• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
How much more evidence do you need that a 2060 is midrange.
Been there and done that with him, the end result was he just put me on ignore for not seeing things his way :p The 2060 is high-end in his world view and nobody will persuade him otherwise :)

Maybe his reference point is an S3 Virge 64 or a Riva TNT2 Ultra :p

I class the 2060 as a lower mid range card but I have friends that would most definitely see it as a high end card, they would never even dream of owning a card higher up the stack, even the 2060 would be a reach due to financial constraints, looking at the GPU market as a whole I guess it is a pretty high end card, but from the upper echelons of the OcUK GPU forum not so much, I guess on here you can lose sight a little that there is a whole world of people out there gaming on much lower end hardware than many on here, I hate to use a car analogy but many would consider a Mercedes S-Class a high end car but car enthusiasts might scoff and say it's mid-range compared to Ferrari 812.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm put off spending that kind of money on a PC display with uLED seemingly around the corner.
I honestly do not think it is around the corner mate. At least not the one's in your budget (or mine). Maybe in 3-5 years.

Oh for gods sake, 2060 it is a mid-range card, by the very definition of the word.

NVidia's own website.

midrange1.jpg

OCUK's shop

midrange2.jpg

By benchmark.
midrange4.jpg

You really don't want to do it by price.

2080ti £1050

2060 £281

1650 £150

It obviously is, hence why he could not answer my question. Stubborn ****** :p:D

Soldato
Took delivery of my LG OLED CX48 yesterday, using it as a monitor. Absolutely can't wait for the 3080/3080ti to be released, expecting to pay through the nose for one since AMD can't even get VRR working via HDMI yet, that doesn't give me confidence they'll fully support my panel. Need that 4k 120Hz goodness via HDMI 2.1!

AMD does having working vrr via hdmi, it's just your tv doesn't support freesync.

You should still be able to get 4k 120hz right now if you turn off HDR.

Caporegime
I class the 2060 as a lower mid range card but I have friends that would most definitely see it as a high end card, they would never even dream of owning a card higher up the stack, even the 2060 would be a reach due to financial constraints, looking at the GPU market as a whole I guess it is a pretty high end card, but from the upper echelons of the OcUK GPU forum not so much, I guess on here you can lose sight a little that there is a whole would have people out there gaming on much lower end hardware than many on here, I hate to use a car analogy but many would consider a Mercedes S-Class a high end car but care enthusiasts might scoff and say it's mid-range compared to Ferrari 812.
Exactly, and many PC enthusiasts really lose sight of that as they are only focused on the top-end and forget that high-end is actually a reasonably broad spectrum. :)

Haha, indeed, let's do that :p:D

But I would still love for you to answer my question ;)

In the desktop space, what do you class as mid-range and low-end?

It obviously is, hence why he could not answer my question. Stubborn ****** :p:D
You know that big place outside of your bedroom, where there are those things called "sunlight" and "fresh air"? I highly recommend you try them then you may understand what some other people do in the periods of time that they are not sitting at the PC replying to your posts, and then hopefully in future not confuse that with anything else. ;)

Mid-range for me is a 1650 to a 1660 Super/Ti. Low-end is anything below. :D

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Exactlym and many PC enthusiasts really lose sight of that as they are only focused on the top-end and forget that high-end is actually a reasonably broad spectrum. :)

You know that big place outside of your bedroom, where there are those things called "sunlight" and "fresh air"? I highly recommend you try them then you may understand what some other people do in the periods of time that they are not sitting at the PC replying to your posts, and then hopefully in future not confuse that with anything else. ;)

Mid-range for me is a 1650 to a 1660 Super. Low-end is anything below. :D
I was out for over 4 hours earlier with my partner, but thanks for your concern though ;)

Soldato
It depends if you are looking it via price though. Mainstream and midrange terms can be mixed together. So if you take midrange as mainstream,the GTX1660/GTX1660TI/GTX1660 Super are mainstream parts,and the RTX2060 is an upper mainstream part,especially as it was over £300 at launch. If you look at JPR/Mercury Research,who AMD/Nvidia use for their own marketing,the original RTX2060 pricing was on the cusp of mainstream/enthusiast pricing.

So I assume they are usng mainstream and midrange as the same term in this case.

Caporegime
And in what sort of backward world is the lowest chip that NVidia currently make mid range. I assume you do know what "Midrange" actually means.
It is a backward world indeed my good man, a backwards world indeed... https://www.google.com/search?q=nvi...rome..69i57.8359j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The GeForce GTX 1650 is a mid-range graphics card by NVIDIA, launched in April 2019.
Nvidia GTX 1650 Super Specs Leak - A huge upgrade for mid-range Geforce

Although I would revise my statement to say that he standard 1650 (non Super) is really toeing the performance line and may also be low-end vs the 1650 Super which I would say at 40+% faster is certainly lower midrange.

Maybe he meant midrange overall rather than just within nVidia's offering?
Yup, there are a lot of other GPU's out there. :)

Caporegime
My take on this mid range vs. high end banter is that nVidia's pricing has moved things into the high end that otherwise wouldn't have been, irrespective of relative performance.

It also depends if we're talking consumer or manufacturer perception, because these two are not always aligned.

For example, and sorry to use the much maligned car analogy, a £35k Ford Fiesta is still a high-end hatchback even though we all know it's a bit of a turd.

Associate
Oh for gods sake, 2060 it is a mid-range card, by the very definition of the word.

NVidia's own website.

midrange1.jpg

OCUK's shop

midrange2.jpg

By benchmark.
midrange4.jpg

You really don't want to do it by price.

2080ti £1050

2060 £281

1650 £150

The conversation really should have ended here with this post.

Soldato
I would call low end cards 1080p capable, mid range 1440p and high end 4K without having to cripple the settings.
So low end would range up to 2060 / 5600XT, should cost no more than £220
Mid range up to 5700XT / 2070 super, should cost no more than £400
High end 2080 super / 2080ti, should cost no more than £750

Soldato
I would call low end cards 1080p capable, mid range 1440p and high end 4K without having to cripple the settings.
So low end would range up to 2060 / 5600XT, should cost no more than £220
Mid range up to 5700XT / 2070 super, should cost no more than £400
High end 2080 super / 2080ti, should cost no more than £750
In isolation I agree with you.

But with the next generation of consoles targeting 4k60(or 30 can't remember), I think it is time for the tiers to shift. 4k60 should now be mid range or even low end by the time consoles hit. The high end should be for something along the lines of 4k144.

Soldato
In isolation I agree with you.

But with the next generation of consoles targeting 4k60(or 30 can't remember), I think it is time for the tiers to shift. 4k60 should now be mid range or even low end by the time consoles hit. The high end should be for something along the lines of 4k144.
Yeah, it will be hard to market a Gpu that costs the same or more as an entire console unless the performance is way above the console level.

Associate
For all we know the amd parts in the console might be costing Sony/Microsoft 400+ a pop and they suck it up to get market share

Back
Top Bottom