• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
/crying with laughter

£1200 "isn't bad at all".... hahahahahhahahahahahahaha. My sides!

nV obviously keen to shift low volume, high margin, and to rely on wealthy PC gaming die-hards. Obviously don't see the consoles as any kind of threat, contrary to what some expected.

Personally I didn't think nV would lower their prices, but that doesn't mean they "aren't bad", it just means they're still not getting any of my money :p

And since AMD will follow suit with their pricing, neither will they :)

"This is a pleasant fiction, isn't it."

Brace for disappointment.
Lol. You make it sound like Nvidia have released the price already...

So far I see a bunch of speculation and people making predictions based on nvidia taking them from behind even deeper than ever before.

Associate
I'm expecting models with similar names to come out at similar price points. Until AMD's top end can properly outcompete an xx70 card, on features like RT as well as the general performance, I don't see the market changing much.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm expecting models with similar names to come out at similar price points. Until AMD's top end can properly outcompete an xx70 card, on features like RT as well as the general performance, I don't see the market changing much.
Just can’t see it being that way. I know they want to maximise profits but they are also not stupid, they would get a lot of negative press doing this. They want to keep their mindshare, not damage it. Price for performance will improve more than people expect.

Caporegime
Just can’t see it being that way. I know they want to maximise profits but they are also not stupid, they would get a lot of negative press doing this. They want to keep their mindshare, not damage it. Price for performance will improve more than people expect.
They got negative responses from the 10xx series price increases. It didn't stop them.
They got negative responses from the 20xx series price increases. They only released the Supers when AMD looked to shake things up a little with Navi.

If they put prices up and there was a genuine boycott of their products, they might change.

But instead people just pay the new prices. I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority by not ponying up. Most people already have.

Associate
lol, when they are applying the "Ti" moniker to the 3070 series, that's when you know the 3070 cards aren't going to be cheap :p As if we were ever in any doubt.

So 3070Ti... ~£649 anyone? :p Bargain at twice the price :p
Unfortunately idiots will lap it up, the market has already proven they're morons that will buy over priced crap with 'RT' that barely functions at 60fps/1080p. If you're 20 years old and have no idea how much stuff costs and have more money than sense you'll buy and believe. I suspect Nvidia have done extensive market research with an organisation like Cambridge Analytica to finely tune how much or little to give or not at a certain price point.

Soldato
Unfortunately idiots will lap it up, the market has already proven they're morons that will buy over priced crap with 'RT' that barely functions at 60fps/1080p. If you're 20 years old and have no idea how much stuff costs and have more money than sense you'll buy and believe. I suspect Nvidia have done extensive market research with an organisation like Cambridge Analytica to finely tune how much or little to give or not at a certain price point.

I'm still skeptical that this has been "proven". Sure, Nvidia put on their game face and say it's working, but that doesn't make it true.

Soldato
Same, yes its expensive, but i've been happy with the performance its given. Just want a bit more to push the refresh rate of the monitor now.

It would have given you the same performance if they charged 3X the price though. I assume there is a price point where the 2080ti's performance alone won't make you "happy"? (I would have been happy-enough with the 2080ti's performance at $700, but over 1k? ummm...no.)

Associate
But instead people just pay the new prices. I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority by not ponying up. Most people already have.

but you skipped it last time (sensibly if I might add) so whilst paying say £1.2k for a 3080Ti (if such a thing exists) is highly distasteful its certainly a lot better than paying that amount for a 2080Ti "give me a man after midnight" Abba edition

want to charge more? ok I'll buy a new GPU every 3rd generation then and let the serial upgraders extend their debt or waste their money its their privilege to do so

Associate
NV have a long history of cheaping out on VRAM, the 970 con for example, and of course the at the mid-range their 2060's and 1660's etc on 6GB have been up against 56's, 64's 590's 5700 series etc all with 8GB. Of course these aren't perfect comparisons but broadly across that range over the last few years AMD have given 8GB as standard NV 6GB as standard.
AMD are also guilty of this, I know as an owner of a 5970 and two 6990's and two 295x2's in quadfire. All of those cards were prematurely retired due to ATI/AMD not following the example of the 4870x2 which didn't double but quadrupled the single equivalent card vram. I'm still slightly annoyed by this as they were vram limited way too early but I guess I should move on.

Associate
I'm still skeptical that this has been "proven". Sure, Nvidia put on their game face and say it's working, but that doesn't make it true.
I want to 'not believe' just like you but until I see price drops/a better vfm proposition rather than everyone caving immediately something new is launched I'm cynical and doubtful people will be prepared to sit it out for three months to force the prices down. AMD are in collusion although 'colluding' is a ludicrous description as it's in both their interests to take the pi$$ while 'competing' by launching products at the same price with very similar performance,

Associate
Nvidia know full well Turing didn't sell in the volumes of previous generations. Maybe they predicted it and up'ed the margin Apple style to compensate or maybe it was to test the market knowing that they could easily give a TU104 die instead of a crappy 106 for 2070 and btw that came VERY late in the product cycle. So all those people thinking yeah I got a good deal with a 2070S and performance is great.... no mate you didn't you should have had that a year or more before and you've just paid £450-550 on something that's going to be obsolete in next to no time aka Nvidia robbed you like a goodun. Yes you can't wait forever to upgrade but when the legacy **** doesn't go down in price you certainly don't buy it at the end of its life time like a mug the size of an inverted St.Pauls Cathedral LUL

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nvidia know full well Turing didn't sell in the volumes of previous generations. Maybe they predicted it and up'ed the margin Apple style to compensate or maybe it was to test the market knowing that they could easily give a TU104 die instead of a crappy 106 for 2070 and btw that came VERY late in the product cycle. So all those people thinking yeah I got a good deal with a 2070S and performance is great.... no mate you didn't you should have had that a year or more before and you've just paid £450-550 on something that's going to be obsolete in next to no time aka Nvidia robbed you like a goodun. Yes you can't wait forever to upgrade but when the legacy **** doesn't go down in price you certainly don't buy it at the end of its life time like a mug the size of an inverted St.Pauls Cathedral LUL
Yea. Turning to me has been very poor. Had they released the 2070S from the get go I actually may have purchased one, certainly would have at £450. From what I can see many people gave Turing a miss. I just can’t see Nvidia upping the prices even more than Turing like many here seem to suggest.

Soldato
It now seems common to skip a generation of GPUs, just as it's common to skip a generation or two of CPUs.

That has been the case for the last 15 years, since I've been a PC gamers I've never felt compelled to upgrade everytime there is a new gpu

Associate
That has been the case for the last 15 years, since I've been a PC gamers I've never felt compelled to upgrade everytime there is a new gpu
True, upgrading every gen feels like a waste of money to me always has. Every 2nd gen is best for GPUs,for CPUs you can get away with 5+ gens these days

Back
Top Bottom