• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Would Nvidia have been better off keeping the Titan name for the 3090?

People are getting their knickers in a twist thinking that it’s a gaming GPu at a ridiculous price, when it’s clearly not. It could also have led to more sales as psychologically people will think “WOW! I’m getting a Titan for £1500”, rather than lumping them in with the standard range.

They even list Studio Drivers support for it on the specs sheet at the NVIDIA website.
I think they're being cheeky with the name.

People that need a gaming card with more than 10GB VRAM are going to look at the 3090, and go "Wow almost a titan, at half the price".

The rest are going to fume over it, and get the 3080, and upgrade next to the 3080Ti 20GB dueto VRAM limits, and finally having a "decent priced" high end card.

Soldato
I think the only games I play that benefit from the extra FPS (well, to make it more fun for me) are Doom, the new Doom and COD MW. After the last BLOPS (can't remember which but it looked like Fortnite) I swore I was done with COD games but MW has taken me by surprise. The London part especially was very impressive.

I may buy the new one yet.

Overwatch is fast paced,and Planetside 2 can be,but even then I am more CPU limited during the large fights(upto 400 people in one point). Fallout 4 I am CPU limited too. So I am looking realistically at a better CPU first. Will see how the new ranges pan out once AMD and Nvidia launch the full stack.

Soldato

People are getting their knickers in a twist thinking that it’s a gaming GPu at a ridiculous price, when it’s clearly not. It could also have led to more sales as psychologically people will think “WOW! I’m getting a Titan for £1500”, rather than lumping them in with the standard range.

I think they are looking to tap into the "only the best" "money doesn't matter" group that bought the 2080Ti.

The 2080Ti proved that there are at least *some* people who will pay a lot of money for a little more performance as long as it's "the best". I think Nvidia offered the 3090 to see if they could nudge that group a little farther along.

And this time the 3090 is offering a greater performance increase over the 2080Ti than the 2080Ti offered over the 1080Ti....and it's offering a bigger jump over last gen for a smaller increase in price.

I don't see why a 2080Ti wouldn't buy a 3090.

Soldato

They changed it because they're allowing third parties to sell their own versions of it this time. They want to keep the Titan name for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom