• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia control panel won't launch Windows 10

Associate
I just installed Windows 10 on my new system and downloaded the latest driver package from Nvidia and although it installs ok, I cannot launch the Nvidia control panel either through the shortcut or right clicking on the desktop?

Any ideas please?

Associate
OP
Has anyone had any problems launching Nvidia control panel? I thought I had fixed it but it seems that it takes about a minute for it to appear after launching. If I unplug the network cable then it appears almost immediately.

Associate
I recall having that problem as well. I can't remember specifics, but there is a solution which you can google. It involves something running in the background checking game profiles which eats up bandwidth and slows down the control panel when opening.

I have a worse problem - I simply cannot reinstall Nvidia drivers after they are first installed on a fresh W10 reinstall. It's a serious problem that I've spent 20+ hours on.

Associate
OP
Hmmm, i'm using a Dell U2713HM monitor for testing this new PC and using HDMI input. Noticed the resolution was only 1920x1080 and not the screen's native resolution of 2560x1440. The monitor cannot do this res over hdmi so swapped out for a display port cable and now the control panel is appearing after a couple of seconds and not up to a minute.

Not convinced yet.

Soldato
Yeah I'm having the same issue. Simply won't launch at all. No errors just won't start. I avoided installing GFE just driver only so maybe thats something to do with it. Its not the end of the world NV inspector still works etc but obviously limited.

Soldato
I recall having that problem as well. I can't remember specifics, but there is a solution which you can google. It involves something running in the background checking game profiles which eats up bandwidth and slows down the control panel when opening.

I have a worse problem - I simply cannot reinstall Nvidia drivers after they are first installed on a fresh W10 reinstall. It's a serious problem that I've spent 20+ hours on.

DCH driver package?

Windows 10 installs by default a DCH version of a recent driver. You cannot install the standard version over the top of it. When selecting the driver on Nvidia website you have to select the DCH version as it doesn’t default.

A solution is to not have network when installing windows 10 (also a solution to the removal of the offline account option on install) and install your preferred driver before adding back the network.

May not be the above in your case but did cause me a bit of a head scratcher when I first came across it.

Associate
OP
DCH driver package?

Windows 10 installs by default a DCH version of a recent driver. You cannot install the standard version over the top of it. When selecting the driver on Nvidia website you have to select the DCH version as it doesn’t default.

A solution is to not have network when installing windows 10 (also a solution to the removal of the offline account option on install) and install your preferred driver before adding back the network.

May not be the above in your case but did cause me a bit of a head scratcher when I first came across it.

I created the latest Windows 10 boot USB and installed from that but no network cable plugged in. It installed a driver for the GPU and so I am guessing this was a DCH driver? I then downloaded the latest standard driver from nvidia and tried installing and then I had the issue of the control panel not opening. I have since used DDU in safe mode to remove all nvidia drivers and reinstalled and corrected the monitor resolution and it seems ok now.

Associate
I've just installed my shiny new GTX1660 but I cannot find a way to get the NVIDIA Control Panel to install. I did a fresh install of Windows (10 Pro) without an internet connection. I then installed the latest 441.66 driver package from NVIDIA. All looks good but the Control Panel isn't installed.

I can't seem to install it from the MS App Store because I don't have my PC linked to my Microsoft account and I don't want to link it.

Is there any way round this? Is the Control Panel installer hidden in the driver package somewhere? Or can I force it to install from Windows Update somehow?

Permabanned
Welcome to the horrible new world of windows 10 1903+ fellas! Common issues are windows has installed DCH so you now can not install any drivers, Solution is install without network cables and only install DCH drivers you can NOT now go from DCH to standard drivers.

Another is great but i have no working control panel, Thanks to DCH which we never wanted or needee you may have to visit Microsoft store and install the Nvidia control panel from there, Yep thats right you just downloaded the driver but now need to visit the store!

Microsoft caused a lot of trouble, Headaches and hassle recently with undocumented changes the above is but the tip of the iceberg. If this is all that bothers you about the latest windows 10 be thankful!

Back
Top Bottom