• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 and GTX 870 to Launch This Q4

Man of Honour
NVIDIA is planning to launch its next high performance single-GPU graphics cards, the GeForce GTX 880 and GTX 870, no later than Q4-2014, in the neighborhood of October and November, according to a SweClockers report. The two will be based on the brand new "GM204" silicon, which most reports suggest, is based on the existing 28 nm silicon fab process. Delays by NVIDIA's principal foundry partner TSMC to implement its next-generation 20 nm process has reportedly forced the company to design a new breed of "Maxwell" based GPUs on the existing 28 nm process. The architecture's good showing with efficiency on the GeForce GTX 750 series probably gave NVIDIA hope. When 20 nm is finally smooth, it wouldn't surprise us if NVIDIA optically shrinks these chips to the new process, like it did to the G92 (from 65 nm to 55 nm). The GM204 chip is rumored to feature 3,200 CUDA cores, 200 TMUs, 32 ROPs, and a 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface. It succeeds the company's current workhorse chip, the GK104.

http://www.techpowerup.com/202238/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-and-gtx-870-to-launch-this-q4.html

Looking at the specs above anyone with a GTX 780 or better may as well keep their money in their pocket as I don't think these cards are anything special.

Man of Honour
OP
They're likely going to be faster than the GK110 cards though.

Even if the main resolutions they'd be targeting would be 1080p and 1440p.

At 28nm they would be struggling, you can only pack so many transistors in there before heat becomes a problem and the 780ti must be getting close now.

And as for that 256bit bus....

GK110 cards are letting themselves down now with a 384bit bus at higher resolutions.

I think these cards will be struggling to compete on price or performance against loads of very cheap 290Ps that will be available.

I think people if they want a next gen NVidia card will be better off waiting for 20nm and the full fat cards.

Man of Honour
OP
was going to ask the q5wuestions that have already been answered.

I too will be waiting for the GM210 or w/e it will be.

I highly doubt the 880 will smash the 780ti it might get more & faster memory though.

I suspect these new cards will be about 10 or 15% slower than a 780ti which will leave room at the top for the old GK110 cards untill they are replaced next year.

Man of Honour
OP
They won't be slower. You just have to look at the rumoured Spec's to see that they will or should be faster. It's also Maxwell architecture so there should be extra performance over the spec's to add in as well. At 4k and Multi monitor resolutions it could get rather interesting but other than 256 bit bus there's no clue in how high the bandwidth is.

You can get a rough idea from the transistor count on what the performance is going to be. For example the 290X has slightly less transistors than a 780ti and this is reflected in the performance. The question is are NVidia going to equip a mid range card with more than 7 billion transistors @28nm and even if they do will the 256bit bus hold it back anyway.

I think these cards will be slower than the 780ti's available now as it will suit NVidia's marketing better.

Man of Honour
OP
No chance. There would be no point. By slower than a 780Ti that means the 880 may be around the performance of the 780...but then they would just be releasing a card with the same power as a 780...but called the 880.

We will probably get the 870 and 880 in October, The 870 will be around the same performance as the 780ti but for ~£300 and then the 880 will be better performing than a 780Ti and be around £400+.

Then in early 2015 we will get an 800 series Titan, then we will get a 20nm 900 series near the end of 2015. The 880 will become the 970 but have slightly faster clocks and a full fat 20nm 980 will come out... a few months before an even faster 980Ti.

Just a little bit of history repeating :p

You are missing the point

As stated in the OP these cards are mid range and they will have performance to match.

Even the specs are poor compared to a 780ti. The GTX 880 has a few more CUDA cores but the rest of the spec is poor. I would go as far as to say NVidia are taking the recycled lager giving the cards a 256bit bus.

We all want cheap fast cards but this is not what NVidia do.

Man of Honour
OP
Where does it say it is a mid range card in the OP?

When the 600 series came out the 680 wasn't a mid range card, it was Nvidia's flagship.

Last line where it says GK104 replacement.

These cards are not the real deal, all they are is more 28nm that will be optimised a little better than Kepler.

People should not get their hopes up, just look at the specs they don't even compare well to a 780ti. And that 256bit bus is there for a reason, a bit like the original GK104 chips that used it. They did not have the muscle to compete with the Tahiti chips once AMD got the drivers right.

Man of Honour
OP
The GTX 680 forced AMD to stop pussy footing around and underclocking their Tahiti gpu's.

I think these new NVidia cards are going to have a very hard time on price and performance as they are likely to be in the same part of the market as the 290P, I can only see one winner @28nm and it is not green.

Man of Honour
OP
Humbug you don't apparently know anything about chip layouts lol...

That's not a GPU, it's a CPU. Or more accurately a part of a CPU. It's a single AMD module without the L2 pictured. It's not quite bulldozer, piledriver or steamroller so it's most likely the next gen excavator.

Or a very well made fake.

But how you thought it was a GPU I have no idea...

It is a Steamroller core but who cares, I think Humbug was just having a bit of fun with the pic.

Back
Top Bottom