• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
So I expect in CDPR traditional fashion at launch performance will be rubbish on anything which is not Ampere,and then it takes a year to fix performance on everything else?? :p

If people here are lucky,that will be a RTX2080TI Super,if not Turing won't be running it the best either.

Soldato
If that's an example of the image quality we can expect from Ampere, I'm out.
So I expect in CDPR traditional fashion at launch performance will be rubbish on anything which is not Ampere,and then it takes a year to fix performance on everything else?? :p

If people here are lucky,that will be a RTX2080TI Super,if not Turing won't be running it the best either.

CDPR driving industry change, taking over from Crysis.

Soldato
CDPR driving industry change, taking over from Crysis.

They just gimped the older cards unnecessarily to push more Maxwell sales. Within 12 months,they had tweaked the game to run better on Kepler,and AMD made some of their own fixes,so you could tweak it via the drivers to make it run better with no real visual degradation. IIRC,what was hilarious was because of the AMD driver tweaks you could apply,AMD GCN cards could run the game better than Kepler cards which you couldn't reduce tessellation on. After a lot of complaints they included further tweaking options for tessellation and other effects.

If its indeed Ampere being pictured,then for everyone else its best not to buy the game for six months,as by then performance will be fixed on the other cards. I personally hope its another Turing card otherwise there will be many sore Turing owners here too.

:p

Soldato
They just gimped the older cards unnecessarily to push more Maxwell sales. Within 12 months,they had tweaked the game to run better on Kepler,and AMD made some of their own fixes,so you could tweak it via the drivers to make it run better with no real visual degradation. IIRC,what was hilarious was because of the AMD driver tweaks you could apply,AMD GCN cards could run the game better than Kepler cards which you couldn't reduce tessellation on. After a lot of complaints they included further tweaking options for tessellation and other effects.

If its indeed Ampere being pictured,then for everyone else its best not to buy the game for six months,as by then performance will be fixed on the other cards. I personally hope its another Turing card otherwise there will be many sore Turing owners here too.

or just play it on playstation 5

Soldato

Do you mean the hairworks stuff in Witcher 3? The test level and AA was configurable via an .Ini file, it's just the the options weren't available in game until they were added in a later patch.

bru

bru

Soldato
I'm reckoning they will go back to just an **80 and a **70 launch to start with this time round and then the **80ti following at some point later.

As for performance, I don't think we will be disappointed, with a good increase over the current 2000 series.
With a node and a half increase over the current 12nm, assuming the rumoured 7nm euv process is accurate. So the advantages over tsmc's 7nm node should be good to give exceptional performance for NVIDIA. Hopefully the **70 will be nudging ahead of the 2080ti. Even though I will miss out this next generation and wait for what comes next with Hopper's rumoured MCM design.

Caporegime
All aboard ...

Whatever comes along, i cant see it being anything other than a whole lot more expensive... which is a shame.
A shame for everything except my Nvidia stocks!:p

But on a more serious note, pretty much nothing is getting cheaper and as long as demand is increasing then prices will rise. It makes me laugh when I see many of the tech sites saying that using 7nm etc will reduce costs. Yeah, it will reduce costs for the manufacturers to produce them but in the end the consumer rarely sees any benefit of those reductions.

Caporegime
Some will probably still buy it and act surprised when the new generation launches shortly after.
Nvidia could launch two new editions before Ampere and some people with more money than sense would still compulsively buy them for benchmarking or short-term thrills. For some people the PC upgrade game is like crack.

Soldato
Do you mean the hairworks stuff in Witcher 3? The test level and AA was configurable via an .Ini file, it's just the the options weren't available in game until they were added in a later patch.

The in game options aren’t great still are they? Could you adjust tessellation in a granulate fashion in the ini? I’m finally going to try for a play through after watching the tv show

Back
Top Bottom