• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Nvidia must be scared of something if they are looking to introduce a new tier of gpu. Keep seeing rumours that the A rtx3090 will take the place of the Titan and the Ampere Titan will end up being a cut down from GA100.

Nvidia has become really good to chopping up its GA chips into smaller gpu tiers and may be set to continue with a range of base, super and ti up to the rtx3090 which looks like it may be a full fat GA102 die with 320 to 350w TDP and 24gb of GDDR6x.

And Yet impressive as the specs sound, I can't see why Nvidia would do this unless they are very worried about the performance AMd has with RDNA2

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure why anyone would buy the first Nvidia release of a generation. Everyone now knows you are going to get a decent bump with the Ti/Super release shortly after. Their ability to tier themselves is second to none

Caporegime
Not sure why anyone would buy the first Nvidia release of a generation. Everyone now knows you are going to get a decent bump with the Ti/Super release shortly after. Their ability to tier themselves is second to none

Buying the first release is usually the best thing to do, otherwise you will wait 9-12 months for any refresh.

Soldato
Super only existed because the first product wasn't a good enough performance increase and AMD threatened the current lineup with RDNA1.

The only way you are going to see them again is if AMD comes out with something that beats the Ampere lineup and as @Richdog pointed out above, the earliest you will see these cards is 2H of 2021.

Associate
I have that in my mind as well, but it has been some years since we saw the 20XX release and people with even older cards are eager to get something better so i am sure if a 3070 came out with 2080ti roughly specs i can see a lot of people jumping for them.

I am a bit pessimistic though and afraid we wont see again the 980ti to 1070 jump we saw in the past or if we do the prices will be stupid. The 2k series for me was a major disappointment on performance and price level compared to the 1k series from nvidia. Basically yes you get more performance but also the price doubled on some tiers so it didn't feel like we got the usual better performance upgrade like we did before.

HRL

HRL

Soldato

TBF, they did release the 2080Ti at launch this current gen.

Soldato

They're always more expensive, so if the budget stretches to the first card (x70/80) only then there's no decision to make and no reason to wait.

Associate
You weren't the target market. The target market was people like me with Maxwell GPUs.
I can count as maxwell hehe just for a bit, my past 10 year history was MSI Geforce 470, KFA2 Geforce 680, then briefly for a few months only a 970 and then 2 x Vega 56s (biggest waste of money buying 2 x of an expensive product I learnt my lesson now and no Crossfire or SLI experiments again for me).

Indeed if I was still on 680, or the 970 a 2k series would be a big boost as well, just the pricing is way off. My 470 was cheap as chips compared to the equivalent 2070, even the 970 was an amazing gpu for the price (even with the 4GB fiasco included)

Associate
And was about to say that when 20XX got released only the 2080ti was essentially a device that provided more performance that the previous gen but not the usual 50% more that we were used to. I mean 980ti to 1080ti was a massive performance boost for gaming ( 70% and some games even 90% more)

We used to get a good performance boost with the XX80 non ti version as well so around £400 - £500 you have a gpu that is top performing and quite better than last gen and whoever could, would wait 6 months or more for the ti version which would be even better.

Now not only you pay last gen 1080ti prices to get a 2080 but also get maybe the same or a tiny percentage more in performance boost between 2080 and 1080ti.

Also feel like Ray tracing wasn't really needed at least a few more generations and nailing high refresh rate and possibly 4k and high refresh rate would be better for all of us. I personally like the feature but its not a must have for my gaming experience, and if there were 20XX NON RTX gpus that gave me a boost on normal performance i would pick those no questions asked.

If the 2080ti was priced like the 1080ti we would be having a complete different discussion.

I know that tech is getting harder to make and we got spoiled all these years with performance boosting every new gen of GPUs but £1200 plus for a 4k60fps gaming gpu is unjustifiable for a lot of people and a lot will go to the consoles the coming gen if nvidia keeps charging these prices.

Lets hope they give us better performance for our money this time, I am really eager to see some competition between NV and AMD though i think NV will have a better performing product again they are not Intel.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
They had to, as it was the only card faster than the 1080Ti.

Fair comment. Things have changed a little now as the 2080 and 2080S pull ahead of the 1080Ti. Not so sure that the Ti will be a launch card this time around though.

Just to add, I now enable RT wherever it's available and accept the drop in frame rates. The lighting, reflections and shadows really do elevate the look of the games that support it and I'm now looking forward to the next gen if the RT performance increase is good enough. We'll just have to wait and see about that and pricing.

Associate
And was about to say that when 20XX got released only the 2080ti was essentially a device that provided more performance that the previous gen but not the usual 50% more that we were used to. I mean 980ti to 1080ti was a massive performance boost for gaming ( 70% and some games even 90% more)

That's not true imho the 980Ti gets frequently under reported because it had/has a huge boost or overclock headroom. The 1080Ti is about 40% faster with admittetly that extending in recent years but it was a tough sell to 980Ti owners £700 for 40%+ that ain't so great tbh and then neither was £1.1k for another 35% with the 2080Ti

but anyway I agree with the general point you're ultimately making i.e. if the 2080Ti was priced at say £700 you'd have a good case to upgrade the problem Nvidia had was selling its surplus of Pascal without loosing margin.

all in all it felt like a lost generation with Turing and if we end up with next gen delivering 2080Ti like perf @£700 then ok yeah its better but its not that great cos we are +2yrs and into 2nd next gen from 1080Ti

Soldato
That's not true imho the 980Ti gets frequently under reported because it had/has a huge boost or overclock headroom. The 1080Ti is about 40% faster with admittetly that extending in recent years but it was a tough sell to 980Ti owners £700 for 40%+ that ain't so great tbh and then neither was £1.1k for another 35% with the 2080Ti

but anyway I agree with the general point you're ultimately making i.e. if the 2080Ti was priced at say £700 you'd have a good case to upgrade the problem Nvidia had was selling its surplus of Pascal without loosing margin.

all in all it felt like a lost generation with Turing and if we end up with next gen delivering 2080Ti like perf @£700 then ok yeah its better but its not that great cos we are +2yrs and into 2nd next gen from 1080Ti

I'll tell you now, if we get 2080ti performance with improved RT for £700 they will be hot sellers. Not because they are good value but because of what you mentioned above.

I mean the sales pitch alone "as fast as a 2080ti with double the RT" for only £700... a lot of people will be drooling over that. They may deny it now but in reality the allure would be too much.

I don't mean £700 + I mean under £700. So you could get a cheap version of these cards for £620.

That's like 50% less for the top level performance AND I'm including double RT performance.

Can we really hope for any better?

If Nvidia do any better than that then they have blown expectations out of the water.

Soldato
I’m abit confused here did someone say there’s no 3080ti? Or I’m I dreaming lol:

Seems to be a lot of confusion around it. There is supposed to be a 3080, 3080Ti/super and a 3090. 3090 perhaps the new Ti or Titan who knows.

On a side note the horrendous looking coolers are meant to be costing $150 alone so god knows what release price these cards will be.

7rTjwxyaVG89tywRW3A9rL-1200-80.jpg

Starting at $999? I’m betting they won’t be cheap which considering last gen pricing is a real shame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom