• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Potential Roadmap Update for 2017: Volta Architecture Could Be Landing As Early As 2H 2017

Soldato
Potentially if big vega is time as fast as a 480 and with the lead amd have with a sync and dx12, it could easily beat the 1080 and nvidia won't be happy about not having the fastest card for a year.

But they are releasing the TX, so that will definately be the fastest card, I do not think Vega will be much faster than a 1080. Probably the big one that is some time in 2017 will be faster but that is a long time.

Soldato
Between Nvidia ripping it with price premiums and the 10% Brexit tax (thanks, little Englanders :rolleyes:) ... I'm seriously thinking of sticking with my 980ti and sitting Pascal out. The bang for buck is abysmal at the minute.

If Volta really is due next year then the relatively small wait would be worth it for a proper upgrade. Now, all I have to do is stay away from the MM when the 1080's are getting dumped for the new Titan. :D

+1 not much point to move from 980Ti esp with the huge price tags of the new series cards, will def wait and see what Volta is like if there's any truth in this at all.

Not too long to wait and it's not like 980Ti is short of power. I can wait no probs.

Soldato
Nvidia are killing it atm, AMD's RX480 is a very nice card, but in the face of the GTX 1080 (New performance king) and the GTX 1060, which in performance terms is a wash with the RX480 and similar price. AMD need a hailmary soon. Hope VEGA performs for em, we need competition. Nvidia is relentless atm lol.

Associate
Between Nvidia ripping it with price premiums and the 10% Brexit tax (thanks, little Englanders :rolleyes:) ... I'm seriously thinking of sticking with my 980ti and sitting Pascal out. The bang for buck is abysmal at the minute.

Well this "little Englander" purchased a GTX1070 a couple of weeks after Brexit tax was introduced, and I'm finding that the "bang for buck" (£409 for ~ GTX980ti performance) to be fairly good. Pre Brexit, and pre Pascal, I would have been spending over £100 more for the equivalent GPU.

If any GTX980ti owner is expecting a lot more performance for less money, then I suppose the new cards are offering abysmal "bang for buck".

Associate
Nvidia is moving forward at lightning speed and leaving the competition in the dust.

Nvidia's greatest strength is knowing when to prioritise things. They'll master DX12 when it's actually relevant, just like they did DX11.

bru

bru

Soldato
There was an interesting point made on last weeks PC per podcast. in the middle of last year the first mobile phones were produced on the 16/14nm node and it is only now a year latter that we have the first graphics cards. There haven't been any mobiles, or anything at all really, made on the 10nm process as of yet.

I fully expect Volta to be 16nm and as such see no reason why it cannot come sooner than previously expected.

Associate
There was an interesting point made on last weeks PC per podcast. in the middle of last year the first mobile phones were produced on the 16/14nm node and it is only now a year latter that we have the first graphics cards. There haven't been any mobiles, or anything at all really, made on the 10nm process as of yet.

I fully expect Volta to be 16nm and as such see no reason why it cannot come sooner than previously expected.

To add to this, I've read that 10nm is expected to not be a 'proper' jump, like we had with 28nm -> 20nm, and so it might be skipped by high-power processors.

So we may see at least 3 revisions of cards on 16/14 and then head straight to 7nm.

Soldato
Nvidia is moving forward at lightning speed and leaving the competition in the dust.

Nvidia's greatest strength is knowing when to prioritise things. They'll master DX12 when it's actually relevant, just like they did DX11.
You do realise it is just part of the grand plan on milking their customers and AMD has little to do with that?

It's all about withholding as much as they can on what they offer to their users at hardware level and feature, so they can itch their users into buying a new cards again within short period of time?

Ironically the potential roadmap update for Nvidia could also mean that they deliberately withinholding dx12 support and performance for the Pascal's release...

While I don't agree with their approach as a consumer, but have gotta say it's very well-played in terms of business strategy, and they have the consumers exactly where they want them.

Last edited:
Associate
wccf are proven liars that make stuff up constantly.

I really don't know why we bother with them. I remember on AMD/Nvidia reddit there was a big ruckus over trying to get WCCFTech on the banned list over there.

Hey remember when they said the RX480 NDA would go down slightly earlier? Hey remember when they said the RX480 would be an overclockers dream?

And that's just the recent stuff I can remember from the Polaris thread.

Caporegime
But they are releasing the TX, so that will definately be the fastest card, I do not think Vega will be much faster than a 1080. Probably the big one that is some time in 2017 will be faster but that is a long time.

My point was that Volta wasn't meant to be out till 2018, long after big vega.

The tx will always be the fastest card but at a cost. If there was a big vega 30% slower than a Titan but less than half price, it would sell very well and nvidia wouldn't have an answer apart from its Titan at silly money.

Volta in May next year kills off big vega at the pass.

Caporegime
Does Volta in 2h 2017 mean a drop in Pascal support at roughly the same time? Are cards like the 1080 going to go the way of 780 when Maxwell came out?

Yeah they can stop working on getting async to ever work on the 1080 just like they have given up on the 980ti as Volta will fully support async from the off.

Caporegime
OP
We all know or should know that wccftech is full of click bait unsubstantiated articles and very rarely are they correct but we all like hardware here I assume and hence why I posted it. It would be good to see another GPU that soon (maybe not for our wallets) and I hope this isn't far off and time will tell. Maybe the card that does bring true Async support?

Associate
Big Volta wont be coming until 2018. Perhaps we will see a low end card around this time. Come on guys they are not even done with the new range yet. Some people who pre ordered there cards on the day they came out still dont have them yet.

Associate
Big Volta wont be coming until 2018. Perhaps we will see a low end card around this time. Come on guys they are not even done with the new range yet. Some people who pre ordered there cards on the day they came out still dont have them yet.

Designing a new architecture and actually producing a card are two different things.

You can bet they are already hard at work on Volta.

Caporegime
Perhaps we will see a low end card around this time. .

Indeed. - Look at Maxwell. The first maxwell card was a 750ti which came long before the 970/980 etc (7 months).

If Nvidia follow that with 16nm it might well be a 1050ti or something on volta and then the 1170/1180(or whatever they will be called) later in the year(Q3/4)

Back
Top Bottom