• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Stock Falls 2.1% After Turing GPU Reviews Fail to Impress Morgan Stanley, are they doomed?

Man of Honour
OP
I can't help but laugh at some of the naysayers here.
Just think this through. The design for the 2000 series cards will be been signed off years ago. At that point, Nvidia wouldn't have known that AMD weren't going to be able to produce something to compete. The implications being that they would almost certainly have expected to introduce the 2080 as a direct replacement for the 1080, and at the same price, i.e. maintaining the usual fairly static price, but improvement in performance.

This time around, AMD have no competition, so all Nvidia has done is upped the price on the new cards. Chances are that they've added 50% markup in profits for everyone of the new cards.
Assuming they sell, Nvidia are looking at a bumper year in profits.

I think when the 2000 series design was signed off years ago NVidia probably assumed that AMD would still be very competitive and therefore decided they needed something novel like RTX and DLSS to make their cards standout from the competition.

Caporegime
I think when the 2000 series design was signed off years ago NVidia probably assumed that AMD would still be very competitive and therefore decided they needed something novel like RTX and DLSS to make their cards standout from the competition.

Nvidia need new technologies that will force people to upgrade, RTX and DLSS does exactly that. The fact that RTX is only just possible with lots of limitations means the next 10-15 years of GPU progress can be mapped out now.

Nvidia's 7nm GPU will liekly have twice the RTX power, and the next few generation will liekly see 70-100% increases, making very attractive upgrades. Nvidia by being the market leader will have bigger influence in the direction the technology will evolve and especially developer exceptions and design criteria. Nvidia did this with CUDA, and basically made CUDA the defacto industry standard. Nvidia's market dominance in GPU HPC, scientific computing and DL is even more pronounced than in gaming.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nvidia's 7nm GPU will liekly have twice the RTX power.
Pretty much my thoughts too. That together with devs learning how to use it properly and get the most out of it, we may have 30-60fps ray tracing at 4K. Either that or something of better quality or used more extensively in a game.

But Nvidia need to make sure they have a lot more ray tracing games available by the next launch and for those games to implement it better than the ones are now. If they can get CDProjekt Red to add it into Cyberpunk 2077, then that there will likely sell a lot of cards. I know I certainly would want it.

I wonder if Nvidia will be able to get many more slightly older games to add ray tracing in. Would love to see it in titles like Deus Ex: MD or Pray. But I personally doubt any titles older than a year will get it. I think it will mostly be from games coming out in the future.

Permabanned
New_Bitmap_Image.png

quick morning check. Deffo DOOMED o wait..... They hit new High lol

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Looks like the Steam survey is on atm, so we'll see how well they actually sold. I suspect not that well...
No point looking at that this early on from release. Right now they may even be selling more 1080ti’s than 2080’s. They don’t care which it is, still buckets load of profit for them at these prices.

Soldato
No surprise there. They are selling their old stock at full price and making crazy margins on new stock.
Most investors won't know that though. The next quarterly results will reveal all. I suspect iit's going to be a bumper quarter or a disappointing one, and the share price will react accordingly. Most expect it to be upwards. It's been on such a strong bull run now for a long while that something will disappoint at some point, probably, and that would likely be a buying opportunity as the share price drops a bit.

Soldato
I for one think they've sold well. Don't forget, forums are only a small proportion of all those buying GPUs, and there are still PLENTY of people happy to buy the best of the best, regardless of price.

Edit: I think the slow down of sales will occur when the 2060 & 2070 is released, both ordinarily popular price points, but with the increase this year, people may refrain from upgrading.

Associate
a bit of a strange question but what does a 2080ti cost to make?

I remember at the presentation jensun giving his staff one, announced to everyone..what a kind soul

at the very least they should have one anyway. I remember the guy at E3 giving everyone in the room an xbox 360 or so

Soldato
@DarrenM343
I sure that most investors know more than all of us here combined...
You'd be surprised. Nobody has insider knowledge and few investors/fund managers get to interview the CEO's etc in their own office. Many will have bought because their share price has rocketed over the last x years and they've just released new products. In a way, we know more than many investors because we buy and use their products.
There's an old saying in investing - invest in companies whose products and services you know well. We know for example many enthusiasts are not taking to these new GPU's yet. If there is a disappointed in the results, the 20 series could be it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
a bit of a strange question but what does a 2080ti cost to make?

In material terms, probably next to nothing. Remember that most of it is made from plastic and sand.
The expensive elements will be the cost to design and test, then the cost to setting a production plant able to spew out millions of the cards but with a sufficiently high degree of precision to create 12nm or whatever their designs are.

As such, the costs are probably already incurred to do the above and will have likely been planned against the assumption that they'd have to recoup the costs in a competitive environment, where they were probably expecting to having to sell at lower prices. As is, there's no real competition and they're charging what they think they can get away with (basic economics really).
Hence why I'm expecting Nvidia to make a bumper profit from this.

Permabanned
That much was obvious from the moment they unveiled it, positioning 2080ti as a 4k card on one hand and as a 1080p ray tracing card makes for a pretty weird launch. They are trying to "big up" both ends of the spectrum to an extent but the performance is only just there for sustainable 1080p rt gaming.

I know I'm only restating what we've all figured out already but from what we've seen so far I get the impression that we won't be using RT at 4k or any res close to that anytime soon, I imagine reducing the resolution on high res monitors to game with RT won't be a popular move so the majority of people won't use it other than just to see how it looks when we get it working in games, The industry has been pushing the high resolution experience for ages which is why the vast majority of the enthusiast gamer's who are likely to buy the RTX cards are all using high res monitors. I don't see ray-tracing as a valid reason to buy an RTX card, The only reasons are the performance increase over Pascal and DLSS and neither of those warrant the price.

It'll be interesting to see how it fares in bfv, in past games you can have scenarios that can really tank performance, with RT on I can see it struggling in more intensive battles.

Same here, I watched an interesting AdoredTV video on ray tracing yesterday and how far we are from true RT gaming. I'm sure it's been seen and posted here before now but it's one of the few video's he's done that I made it through to the end so I'll post it again.

Associate
Think it's pretty obvious now that the 2000 series have been manufactured in small quantity (knowing they will sell to hardcore enthusiasts) hence the pricing and with the prices as high as they are they scaremongered the casual buyers into buying up the 1000 series excess stock.

January you will see these new cards take a tumble in price and if the 2060 series and below are still labelled as GTX cards as rumoured , they will be able to sell them cheap enough to combat whatever AMD release in the mid range area. Who knows they may make the 2060 on 10/7nm like they did with the 750ti which was first cardnon a die shrink.

No doubt after that we will see a 7nm titan around this time next year.

Associate
Pretty much my thoughts too. That together with devs learning how to use it properly and get the most out of it, we may have 30-60fps ray tracing at 4K. Either that or something of better quality or used more extensively in a game.

But Nvidia need to make sure they have a lot more ray tracing games available by the next launch and for those games to implement it better than the ones are now. If they can get CDProjekt Red to add it into Cyberpunk 2077, then that there will likely sell a lot of cards. I know I certainly would want it.

I wonder if Nvidia will be able to get many more slightly older games to add ray tracing in. Would love to see it in titles like Deus Ex: MD or Pray. But I personally doubt any titles older than a year will get it. I think it will mostly be from games coming out in the future.
Unless the Playstation 5 supports it ray tracing is dead in the water PC gaming is a niche market.

Associate
Nvidia need new technologies that will force people to upgrade, RTX and DLSS does exactly that. The fact that RTX is only just possible with lots of limitations means the next 10-15 years of GPU progress can be mapped out now.

Nvidia's 7nm GPU will liekly have twice the RTX power, and the next few generation will liekly see 70-100% increases, making very attractive upgrades. Nvidia by being the market leader will have bigger influence in the direction the technology will evolve and especially developer exceptions and design criteria. Nvidia did this with CUDA, and basically made CUDA the defacto industry standard. Nvidia's market dominance in GPU HPC, scientific computing and DL is even more pronounced than in gaming.
Once you have a card that can every game 4K 60 fps no need to upgrade but future graphics cards will be better at ray tracing that will be the selling point.

Associate
Unless the Playstation 5 supports it ray tracing is dead in the water PC gaming is a niche market.

PS5? I'm not sure. But i bet on the next Xbox. MS needs a selling point against Sony to gain share and Raytracing is a pretty nice one. They were pretty active at the last Game Developers Conference to push DXR. Let the Devs get used to Raytracing and push it in a console with nearly the same API as they know for PCs (just more console optimized).

Back
Top Bottom