• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to limit hash rate of RTX3060 GPU's

Caporegime
To a point yes however Nvidia is worried that they will end up with the same situation they had with the 2 series cards. At some point this boom will crash and all these 3 series cards will start flooding the market just as Nvidia release the 4 series. People then jump on the second hand cards and less people will end up buying the 4 series.
Exactly, nvidia are fully aware of this. AMD don't really care because they have their fingers in every single pie there is so mining crash/second hand desktop gpu market won't bother them especially since their market share in this area is dropping even further now....

I know it sounds bad..... but I personally can't wait to see greedy etailers etc. suffer come the mining crash, it's not a question as to if but when.

Associate
Its not a release, it was bundled in the insider build of windows, then someone ripped it out and put it in a package that others could install on their system.

I expect because its effectively a new beta branch of the drivers, they had simply not got to the point of applying the 3060 changes in the driver, as an example its been confirmed it does not have the 461.81 hotfixes included as well.
Its still a release, even if its to developers, as its being sent out the door into the public domain. I see they have now stated it was an internal only driver that was released by mistake and its limited to to the 3060 only.
I imagine they will be reviewing their internal release process to avoid this embarrassing situation again.

Soldato
To a point yes however Nvidia is worried that they will end up with the same situation they had with the 2 series cards. At some point this boom will crash and all these 3 series cards will start flooding the market just as Nvidia release the 4 series. People then jump on the second hand cards and less people will end up buying the 4 series.
Bad for Nvidia but good for the consumer.

Soldato
Its still a release, even if its to developers, as its being sent out the door into the public domain. I see they have now stated it was an internal only driver that was released by mistake and its limited to to the 3060 only.
I imagine they will be reviewing their internal release process to avoid this embarrassing situation again.

How can it be released by accident. The driver has to be signed through numerous stages before it is deemed to be ready for release. I reckon this was intentional to give miners another option. Gamers be damned.

Soldato
How can it be released by accident. The driver has to be signed through numerous stages before it is deemed to be released. They intentionally released it to allow miners another option. Gamers be damned.

Intentionally looked stupid and made a mockery of their security claims and trashed their own plans to cripple second hand value of mining cards to encourage more new sales?

You'd really choose that scenario over an accidental release of the wrong driver. This driver was not released in the normal way you know. It wasn't something to download off the Nvidia site.

Soldato
Intentionally looked stupid and made a mockery of their security claims and trashed their own plans to cripple second hand value of mining cards to encourage more new sales?

You'd really choose that scenario over an accidental release of the wrong driver. This driver was not released in the normal way you know. It wasn't something to download off the Nvidia site.

so someone probably leaked it in exchange for a bribe is my guess. Miners have a lot of financial power.

Soldato
so someone probably leaked it in exchange for a bribe is my guess. Miners have a lot of financial power.

No, just sheer incompetence is all that's needed

PC Watch reports that the latest GeForce 470.05 drivers distributed by NVIDIA to developers through the Windows Insider Program defeats the hash-rate limiter, significantly improving mining performance of the RTX 3060.

Caporegime
How can it be released by accident. The driver has to be signed through numerous stages before it is deemed to be ready for release. I reckon this was intentional to give miners another option. Gamers be damned.
You’d be surprised how often things can accidentally get released either early or unintentionally.

Associate

This. It's been said even by Linus a few weeks ago - that miners have millions to throw at NVIDIA developers just to get unlocked BIOS/Drivers and human is always the weakest link in any security system.

Soldato

Developers often have multiple branches of codes now days, I expect what happened is the 3060 hash rate limiter was only added to 461 branch as that was the only branch released for download on nvidia website. I believe they simply forgot to add it to the 470 branch "or" it was added to 470 branch "after" the build that got out.

I have seen these mistakes happen a lot, devs applying fixes to one branch only by mistake, its happened before and will happen again.

Associate
Never underestimate human error at corporate level. In my IT career I have seen some massive human mistakes made that impacted the business.

Caporegime
Yup, working in the industry, you would be amazed at how many developers push things to a prod./live environments, even with lesser QA/stage like environments where their code should be tested first.... You would also be surprised at how many big corporate companies have some setups where they only have a prod./live environment and no QA/stage environments.....

Back
Top Bottom