• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia vs ATI (AMD) Showing my age!

Associate
OP
Now, an interesting question would be: "would you pay for a dedicated add-on RT card on top of your GPU?"

Now that is an intriguing question. I remember getting a 3dfx card for my old Pentium mmx 200 system. Then people got dedicated physics cards then they were integrated in to the GPU. An RT card could be another way if people wanted to go down that route.

Soldato
In the early 2000's I regularly swapped between Nvidia and ATI (as it was back then) for nearly a decade until GTX 580 came out and I've been team Green ever since = 580 - 780 - 1070 - 3080 but if AMD's performance (especially RT and DLSS) overtakes Nvidia's, or Nvidia charge too much in comparison, I'll swap back to AMD in a heart-beat.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I went from 7970 > 970(sli) > 980ti > 1080ti > 6900xt.

No problems going from AMD to Nvidia or back again.

very, very pleased with my 6900xt. Would have been happy with a 6800xt, but couldn't find any for a decent price.

Soldato
I would like to try Nvidia again after almost 20 years but they keep being stingy with ram.
Ironically the 3060 is their best value for money in years and the only card that is tempting me if I had to buy right now.
The 3060 performance sucks for the price and isn't much better than a 2060 super from 2 years ago which cost a similar amount.
It's disappointing only if you don't consider it a 1080p card, but it's a great replacement for the GTX 1060/RX 580 user (at MRSP).
12gb VRAM on a 1080p card is a waste and your paying for that instead of getting extra performance.

IMO it should have had 8gb with a 256bit bus and then it would have been a bit faster.

Associate
I've used GPUs from 3DFX, Nvidia, ATI and AMD. I dropped any brand loyalty fairly early on and now tend to go with whoever has the best high end solution, most of the time in my opinion that has been Nvidia, ATI/AMD have had some serious wins over the years but generally speaking fall short at the very high end. The notable exceptions are when Crossfire was both cheap and effective, I've had several crossfire setups that were amazing. Try to ignore brand loyalty and and just go with whatever solution is best for you at the time, it means a lot of research.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Im supprised So many people are happy to pay £1500+ for a GPU nowadays, it's no wonder prices keep going up.
Meh, what else am I going to spend it on? Had three snowboarding holidays, a trip to Portugal and a cabin in the lakes cancelled.

Soldato
How much do you care about raytracing? AMD are behind in this area but the 6900XT is still around 3070 performance in raytracing in modern games which isn't bad and it's sometimes faster than a 3090 in rasterisation (the vast majority of games are still made this way). It also has 60% more video memory than a 3080. Nvidia have DLSS which allows upscaling from a lower resolution to increase performance while trying to maintain as much image quality as possible, but now AMD have an equivalent called FSR which although not quite as good as DLSS it works on everything including Nvidia and is much easier to implement in games than DLSS so in future may become the default option for developers to use in their games. There are future versions of FSR planned with improvements, this is only version one and it's open source so can be improved by the community and any developer who uses it. It's not in many games yet but I expect this to change, the first major game to have it will be Far Cry 6.

With FSR we have to wait to see its full potential, DLSS is a more mature technology and in many more games at the moment.

If you can get a 6800XT I'd get that, it's virtually as fast as a 6900XT with same amount of RAM but is much cheaper. On the Nvidia side I prefer the 3080, not the TI, although the 10GB of VRAM may become a problem at 4K resolution with raytracing in the future.

You gain more performance from SAM/ReBar on an AMD GPU, up to 20% maximum vs 10% in very select circumstances.

AMD's driver control panel is now more modern and advanced than the Nvidia one which is the same as 5-10 years ago. The AMD one has built-in automatic benchmarking and performance stats for all your games, a performance and game recording in-game overlay and it's all very responsive and quick. When you install the driver I recommend selecting the standard profile not the gaming one as it enables things that can sometimes cause problems, if you want to enable those things you can do so later per game. If you don't want things like Radeon ReLive (the Shadowplay equivalent that allows you to record your gameplay then you can do a minimal install and you don't have to sign into an account like with Geforce Experience). I haven't used AMD for over a year so things might have changed again.

I was going to type a response but I think you just said everything I was going to say. :D Probably only other point to note is power draw and heat. Again, as far as I understand AMD is better at both of these with their latest series of GPUs compared to the more power hungry Nvidia 3000 series.

Soldato
I was going to type a response but I think you just said everything I was going to say. :D Probably only other point to note is power draw and heat. Again, as far as I understand AMD is better at both of these with their latest series of GPUs compared to the more power hungry Nvidia 3000 series.
Thanks and yes you are right on the power on heat, AMD are significantly better for once.

Soldato
Used both in the past but last 3 have been nvidia.

i hear the next generation of AMD gpu`s will be very strong but so might switch back.

i go where i feel the best power / price is

Soldato
A lot of that comes down to Nvidia using GDDR6X which is quite power hungry compared to the standard GDDR6, the 3070 which is using normal GDDR6 has a TDP of 220W yet the ti version using GDDR6X has a TDP of 290W despite only having a few extra Cuda cores.

I think had Nvidia used TSMC7nm on ampere then they would have comfortably been pulling less power than AMD considering Samsung 8nm isn't that much better than the old TSMC12nm.

Should be interesting next gen when both are rumoured to be using TSMC 5nm so we should get a good comparison to how both architectures stack up.

Soldato
Soldato
Ah OK will do. I knew it was flaky but didn't realise how bad until that article. Is there a trustworthy alternative?
Plenty of normal hardware review sites.
TechPowerUp has some of the widest tests.
Guru3D has IIRC good amount of older cards as comparison.
Igorslab has extremely detailed power draw measurements including different resolutions and proper transient measurements.

Associate
Honestly what I say here is.

If you want to do a lot of streaming via Streamlabs/OBS, get Nvidia.

If you don't intend to do any of that, any choice from either side is great, I will say AMD probably has the upper hand when it comes to raw grunt this time round.

DLSS/FSR seem like they will be put into most titles together going forward, ray tracing does have Nvidia winning if you can call that performance in game actually winning - in short, ray tracing performance still isn't there at high quality settings, ray tracing at low settings can look odd.

AMD to me has a sharper image quality out of the box.

productivity, AMD acceleration is actually really good, in Vegas Pro 18, my 5700XT actually renders and handles exports way better then my 3070ti is doing.

Associate
I'll do one better, I started with 3dFX Voodoo, the original one which needed to be paired with regular video card as it didn't do 2D. After that there was a period I decided being a nerd is lame for a couple of years but wisened up eventually and realised people who think nerds are lame are losers. At that point I got a new kit with Windows 2000 and ATI 7000, which was later renamed Radeon 7000. Can't remember every piece of kit but at one point I had Radeon 9700 that AMD was withholding for a on time as they wanted people to pay extra for 9700 pro. Got Radeon 3850 and some Geforce cards too, I was never really ATI/AMD fan boy which obviously made me an enemy to die hard Team Red people.

I was using suspend/sleep for years and years before it was a thing, Nvidia always worked better with that so I drifted to Team Green based on being able to wake up PC in seconds without waiting for Windows to churn HDD for ages

Last few items have been Geforce 780, 1080ti, RTX 2060 and now RTX 3070. I got lucky with 1080ti and RTX 2060 as the were bought just before this and the last cr*pto bubbles took off. In fact it was ramping up when I got 1080ti, there was little price difference to 1080 at that point but the premium card was still selling at regular price.

I had been waiting for Vega but it was such a big disappointment I went and bought that 1080ti, I had bought Freesync monitor earlier and waited to pair that with the Vega but once that radiator came out..

Still not averse to AMD but DLSS is huge selling point right now and eventually Nvidia started supporting Freesync too.

Back
Top Bottom